OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 19:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 01:39 
Super User

Blade: TSP Versal CP
FH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
I notice that a LOT of C-pen players drop their shoulders vertically and keep FH bat near to their thighs and play an almost straight upward FH stroke.

How in HEAVEN does the ball fly horizontally with the low yet extremely spinny return ?? If I tried that I would end up with "Chicken"-wing syndrome.

Also I notice how Ma Lin and Xu Fei play their FH returns. It is extremely explosive. My returns are nowhere even close to their movement.

I tend to play close- and mid- table distances. I use mostly my forearm. For heavy under-spin I will crouch and use leg+hip+shoulder to brush.

Problem is that I have no formal coaching or access to a good C-pen coach. So I have a LOT of flaws.

What is the natural or "instinctive" way to develop the C-pen FH loop + loop-drive. Where do I find the extreme spinny loop and extreme explosive power ?

I have tried to watch and learn from XX but there is no way I will be able to mimic his body mechanics or grip. Ma Lin / Xu Fei / Wang Hao style play is my only option.

Lets not worry too much about how much I can move or position myself for now :lol: I know I am deadweight and too slow :-D

Assuming I am in position to meet the ball to play a FH loop, I will be playing cross-table, ball has moderate incoming topspin,

What are the requirements and techniques to play to get the heaviest spin loop near- , mid- and far- table locations ? What are the exercises and drills I should use to maximize my ability to play the heavy spin FH loop ?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 09:10 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Use your waist? Maybe go and read the last 100 or so pages of NextLevel's "TTEdge Executing the shot" thread? It applies as well to penholders as it does to everyone else... Watch some of Brett's videos about not doing the backswing too early? Take some videos and send them to Brett?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 11:26 
Super User

Im going through those now :-) Wish me luck! :-) Any other suggestions ? Tips ?

Update: LTT 29 seems to be my first focus point. "Chicken"-wing situation extraordinaire :-D

LTT 27 --> is that for that Cross-over FH ? Im good in that area as C-pen forces me to do it naturally.

NextLevel's blog thread is like 159 pages deep ! :swear: it is going to take me all year to go through them !

:lol: Hopefully my FH will improve :-)

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 19:32 

Blade: Prasidha Premade CPEN
FH: Globe 999 Commercial
BH: Moon
man_iii wrote:
How in HEAVEN does the ball fly horizontally with the low yet extremely spinny return ??

2 words: Chinese Rubber.

I give back very low arc balls, even from almost 88-90 degree strokes to underspin shots from Hurricane 2/3 (obviously will never be as spinny as Ma Lin's shots but I attribute the low arc to Chinese rubber.)

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 02:23 
Super User

Well I am talking about normal no spin and slight top-spin balls all the way to the loop/counter-loop returns.

I am on a Chinese rubber :lol: Yasaka Shining Dragon to be precise :-) And I do have 729-2 rubbers on a backup of a backup BB7 blade.

Im pretty sure the tack and grip on the rubbers grab the ball enough to go sky-high even from the least power top-spin loops. All I got to do is a slow flick of the wrist and it topspins with the same low arc :-/ How in the world do I swing so hard and get the same low arc ???

I will go to the club and try it out maybe with a lot more closed angle and forward jerking of the shoulder / forearm and maintain the slow wrist action.
    Code:

SWING                       BRUSH                             DIRECTION
    1.   shoulder + hip                Light brush                   Up on contact
              no forearm                all the way                   Forward on follow-through
              no wrist

2.   hip + forearm               Medium brush                  Diagonal on contact
              wrist                  only on contact             Up on follow-through
              no shoulder            guide with wrist

3.   entire body                Heavy brush                    Up before contact
                                   press into the ball            Diagonal contact + follow-through

I am not sure which one will be more successful. Not sure if I am missing out the obvious.

Please send help ! :-D NextLevel's blog post is too deep :lol:
I don't think I can make it out :rofl: no light at the end of the tunnel of 159 pages of posts !!! :rofl:

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 12:26 
Super User

An update, none of the above options worked.

Near and mid-table, the only way I could be consistent was to use Leg+Hip+Waist to put spin and power into the stroke.

Any use of wrist+forearm resulted in 1st stroke heavy with spin+speed or too much speed. And 2nd stroke always with too much speed and no control.

It didn't matter if I contacted the ball below the table or tried to play early. Any wrist+forearm meant ball went long. Almost no control on the amount of spin+speed.

The only time wrist and forearm had any effect was when actively blocking an opponents heavy loops or loop-drives.

1. Loop with legs+hips+waist whenever near or mid table distance. Faraway distance simply start closing bat angle even more and only on really dead-slow ball try to add wrist or forearm. Shoulder only for Ultimate power+smashes.

2. Blocking requires use of forearm and wrist. Need to exercise/massage the wrist and forearm constantly to keep it mobile and supple. Ending up with rock-hard wrist and forearm doesn't enhance the control needed.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 09:49 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Blade: Xiom Offensive S
FH: Regalis Blue Max
BH: Regalis Blue Max
If you record yourself side on, i'm sure you would pretty quickly figure out what you are doing wrong...

NEW RUBBER MASS INDEX || OLD RUBBER MASS INDEX

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 12:00 
Super User

I'll do that this weekend and report back ! Should be interesting :-)