OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:07

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Playing with penhold
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 20:40 

I don't know but whenever I play penhold, I play pretty good with it. I have a lot of control when I grip the racket like this, and I have a lot of power too. Idk why, but it feels like penhold with me is pretty powerful, while I've never played like this competitively. I just felt like leaving this here :P

Post subject: Re: Playing with penhold
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 20:42 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Convert to pen?

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 22:26 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
It does take some time to get used to playing Penhold. Comparatively Shakehand is a lot simpler to get right with the basics. Why not competitively play Shakehand most of the time. Practice / train / rec-play with Penhold for fun rather than full-time ?

I think some players like Ryu Seung Min or Yoshida Kaii or some top players switched from Penhold to Shakehand or something ?

I spent nearly 1 month playing C-pen on my own after reading some articles on the internet and watching some C-penhold TT matches on Youtube. Getting the grip right was a real challenge ! Then for 1 month I had cuts and bruises on my index and thumb fingers! I tell you once the blisters start to swell its no fun ! Once they pop the pain can keep you awake at night :P

It took nearly 6 months to develop calluses on my index and thumb finger joints before I could play without the pain. Then the webbing where the handle rests started to blister and bleed :-(

So think before do you have the ability, time and effort to go through all of the training in Penhold style ?????

You want to suffer needlessly ? :-D You can't even resell most of your cut rubbers or old racket because no one plays Penhold all that much.

So Penhold players develop due to HEAVY investment from the players. It doesn't come easy and you don't have major benefits because of it.

Edit: inb4 anyone thinks I am against Penhold players :-D I LOVE Penhold ! I LOVE watching Penhold players play. I want more Penhold players! I also want Penhold players to strongly develop their game. I want to see Penholders start to dominate and compete in more tournaments!

<sarcasm / irony / rant mode >
Also I don't want to see good Shakehand players try to be Penhold players just to be "edgy" or "cool" without realising that has nothing to do with playing Penhold. I want to see the truly passionate and highly-skilled Penholders and not some "weeabos" trying to be something they are not :rofl:

/s <--- pls ignore the rant mode / sarcasms :-D :lol:

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 23:12 

For the record, I'm not this 'Also I don't want to see good Shakehand players try to be Penhold players just to be "edgy" or "cool" without realising that has nothing to do with playing Penhold. I want to see the truly passionate and highly-skilled Penholders and not some "weeabos" trying to be something they are not' :P.

I'm pretty serious, but indeed it doesn't just come like this. Thanks for your nice reply. I'll definitely stick to shakehand now, but I won't forget penhold.

So are you full time playing penhold or did you want to get it down for fun?

As regards to silver, I'll keep it in mind.

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 02:23 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

man_iii wrote:
It does take some time to get used to playing Penhold. Comparatively Shakehand is a lot simpler to get right with the basics. Why not competitively play Shakehand most of the time. Practice / train / rec-play with Penhold for fun rather than full-time ?

Probably for the same reason I don't pick up a racket with long pips or medium pips more often than twice a year or so, despite owning maybe three or four of the things. Because it messes up my regular game. I'm perfectly willing to lend them out to others, though... especially to those people I play against at Social Doubles.. :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 09:50 
Super User

Ahh :-) My story is quite simple. No coach, no idea about TT, I had a good BH :-D while not many ppl could play BH. But I SUCKED at Shakehand grip. The racket felt too loose, no control, no ability to adjust, etc for me. Everyone was miles ahead and improving fast. Nothing was working. So I said all you guys can play way better, I can't improve at all, so let me try this different way to hold the bat :lol: So my C-pen was born. And rest was history for me :-D

TL;DR --- sucked sooo bad at Shakehand, switched to C-pen, instant improvements and success.

And btw, I was a natural RPB player ! I din't even realise that the RPB was like a new innovation !!! I was playing it and I said it would be amazing if this stroke with the back rubber was actually something normal. Lo Behold! Xu Xin playing the RPB on one YouTube video :rofl: It simply sealed my fate as a C-pen player :rofl:

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
==========================================================

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 22:00 

Ahahahahahah nice story :rofl:
Where are you from if I may ask? Because european penhold players are extremely rare (I believe?). I have some questions lol :P

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 01:34 
Super User

Ehhh!!? Im from India :lol: Not European at all :-D

Yeah any kind of Penhold players from India would be rarer indeed than spotting a Tiger in the wild :-P

I am lucky that one of my work colleagues is an orthodox C-pen player. He doesn't do competitions and only plays in the office "casually". His TT group consisted of some of the top National /State players some of whom are still playing 70+ years old !

So after I started playing C-pen I met him in office at the table :lol: THIS HELPED LIKE ANYTHING ! I cant stress enough about getting coaching! Even if it is just casual stuff, another experienced Penhold player can improve your skills by a MILLION times! Just you watching him/her play is enough to "fix" some of the problems. And their advice is like Mana from Heaven :lol:

Also he is a SUPER NICE guy! So he helped correct some mistakes, reinforced some good techniques ( which I kept griping wasn't good enough ), and generally extremely supportive of my play.

So anyone going Penhold WILL DEFINITELY NEED a coach.

I got super lucky to have a C-pen player coach me.

• TSP Versal :
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)