OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 13:33 

Blade: Nittaku Ludeack
FH: Spinlord Dornenglanz OX
BH: Hurricane 3 Neo
I got the discontinued RSM G-max (83g) with T05. It was fine when I practiced with the robot using 40+ balls. Very fast. The throw angle is ok.

In matches with celluloid, the throw feels so low, I have no confidence in FH. The ball flies high or into the net, when I push, block, etc. Totally random.

For others this blade/rubber seems like a sane combination. Didn't even go into German rubbers. :?:

Maybe my moves are substandard and I'm not used to Jpen or T05.

I played with a slower cypress blade before. It was fine except throw on brush loops is low.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 00:24 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
All single ply jpens will seem crazy fast and powerful with lots of bounce to any cpen player. It takes a while to adjust to the stiffness of the Hinoki. Your strategy might need to change a little, distance from the table, etc. Also, the technique is a little different, Jpen users tend to drive more, and cpens tend to brush more. Too much brushing with a Jpen doesn't work in my experience except for opening loops.

The grip is usually a little different (depends on the player) but cpens tend to have curled fingers on the back and Jpens tend to have straighter fingers on the back. That straight fingers add stability which gives you more direct contact, especially since the blades tend to be heavier. If you are curling, it's possible you are further reducing the bite the rubber has on the ball and thus flattening toward the net sometimes...other times you might be hitting the ball just right and getting a lot of rubber on it, thus the ball sails long. In my low-level penhold experience (I only play for fun now) curled fingers on a single ply hinoki jpen is very erratic.

But I'll let the more experienced penholders validate whether I am full of s*** on this or not because I am a essentially a noob again (played years ago, switched to shakehand, play for fun now)

I will tell you this, every CPEN player I know that changed to Jpen (or tried Jpen) struggled with control initially. It's very different.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 10:22 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
Japsican wrote:
All single ply jpens will seem crazy fast and powerful with lots of bounce to any cpen player. It takes a while to adjust to the stiffness of the Hinoki. Your strategy might need to change a little, distance from the table, etc. Also, the technique is a little different, Jpen users tend to drive more, and cpens tend to brush more. Too much brushing with a Jpen doesn't work in my experience except for opening loops.

The grip is usually a little different (depends on the player) but cpens tend to have curled fingers on the back and Jpens tend to have straighter fingers on the back. That straight fingers add stability which gives you more direct contact, especially since the blades tend to be heavier. If you are curling, it's possible you are further reducing the bite the rubber has on the ball and thus flattening toward the net sometimes...other times you might be hitting the ball just right and getting a lot of rubber on it, thus the ball sails long. In my low-level penhold experience (I only play for fun now) curled fingers on a single ply hinoki jpen is very erratic.

But I'll let the more experienced penholders validate whether I am full of s*** on this or not because I am a essentially a noob again (played years ago, switched to shakehand, play for fun now)

I will tell you this, every CPEN player I know that changed to Jpen (or tried Jpen) struggled with control initially. It's very different.

I would say you're pretty on, and your experience matches mine; I'm a noob too though ;(

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 11:00 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I saw VERY FEW J-Penners in Korea use T05 on their J-Pens, usually an RSM or KTS one-ply Hinoke... They nearly all used T64.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2018, 23:10 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Der_Echte wrote:
I saw VERY FEW J-Penners in Korea use T05 on their J-Pens, usually an RSM or KTS one-ply Hinoke... They nearly all used T64.

Yep, same in japan. But there I saw more of them using slower softer tensors or classic rubbers like Mark V.

I think the most popular was Nittaku fast arc, the one that is most forgiving and has the lowest throw...I can never remember the difference in those rubbers. After that I saw a lot of Xiom Omega IV Elite (slowish and spinny) and Tibhar MX-P. And surprisingly a lot of the Yinhe tension rubbers and the most popular was Saturn PRO. I think the Saturn is popular because the WRM guys are pumping this rubber up, and the Jpenner on there named "Xia" uses it.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 09:59 

Japsican wrote:

Thanks, helpful info. I really like the brushing+hitting feeling of CPEN, and I like higher throws relatively speaking. I was wishing the G-max with 05 would give me good throws as the high-throw 05 might neutralize the low-throw hinoki. It worked to an extent only during practice. And my style is never move back. Kinda a force marriage, haha.

I noticed with a jpen it feels like basically driving when I try to loop during a game, and I hate driving.

RSM seems to play loops that look more like drives, and he makes more errors than KTS or Ma Lin. The curves from a more traditional loop probably help with stability. I don't know how KTS or most other jpen guys (who play farther away) make nice-looking high throw loops tho. To me the trajectory is about the same as CPEN's.

The curling fingers thing makes sense. I may try straighter fingers some day. My grip is neither too curled nor too straight like ML.

Blog (Ramblings of an ordinary penholder...): http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32694

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2018, 10:08 

Japsican wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:

Yep, same in japan. But there I saw more of them using slower softer tensors or classic rubbers like Mark V.

I think the most popular was Nittaku fast arc, the one that is most forgiving and has the lowest throw...I can never remember the difference in those rubbers. After that I saw a lot of Xiom Omega IV Elite (slowish and spinny) and Tibhar MX-P. And surprisingly a lot of the Yinhe tension rubbers and the most popular was Saturn PRO. I think the Saturn is popular because the WRM guys are pumping this rubber up, and the Jpenner on there named "Xia" uses it.

Equipment is pretty regional. On Chinese forums most guys recommend T05 (safest with good spin/throw), Xiom Sigma II (faster, low throw, "dead against choppers"), and MX-P, etc.

Chinese folks usually prefer harder rubbers on FH. T64 is rarely recommended because it's "too easy to hit through". For me it might be too fast with jpen (tried T64-fx before for RPB).

Yasaka rubbers aren't popular in China. Sriver is used with speed glue.

They said RSM used G-max/T05 before he retired.