OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 23:08 
Super User

The latest evolution of my Violin R-H.

I'm trying to bulk up the handle because I sometimes find the width too thin and in some instances the blade feels too loose in my grip and could shift in quick transitions. I bulked it up towards the thumb-side effectively bending the handle tenaly style. This slightly angled grip feels very comfortable for both FH and BH strokes -- just doing air strokes and hitting against the wall, I haven't actually played with this setup yet.

The cork is a wine cork. It says "CAMUS classis wines". I got the cork from my neighbor, and now I'll have to try to find this wine and see how it actually tastes for myself. :) Nowadays wine bottles mostly use synthetic cork so it's not easy anymore to find real cork. I shaped the cork to the contours of the handle and glued with Elmer's wood glue. It could still be sanded down to a smoothly blend to the shape of the old cork, but leaving it like this for now.

Btw, what should I call this cork piece bulker-upper? A one word (or two-word concatenation) name would be convenient for referring to it in discussion. Any suggestions?

Last edited by addoydude on 14 Jul 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 23:19 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice pic, well done!

I hoped you aired that cork, or the alcohol might set off the enez :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 23:38 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
If that's the wood on your Violin...I'd hate to see the strings!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, jokes over. Nice work Addoy, its great being able to use household products to achieve the TT equipment that helps your game. I'm a big proponent of this, which extends to rubbers IMO. I think that it should be an anything goes approach to encourage people into the sport... not an everything goes out approach which forces people into the outer. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 23:50 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

addoydude wrote:
Btw, what should I call this cork piece bulker-upper? A one word (or two-word concatenation) name would be convenient for referring to it in discussion. Any suggestions?

Simple. You invented it with a Camus cork. So just call it a 'BRANDY' handle :P Having said that, if I am a Violin, I don't want to be bought by you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 14:40 
Super User

wow... that's interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 20:49 
Super User

I just changed the thread title, adding the "W-grip" name. W for "wine". Or "weird", or "what the hell is that thing!?". :) :) Also can be called, "Wpen" as this is only for penhold.

I'm reserving the letter because, this will become famous. And years from now, all jpen players will be glueing wine cork to the side of their handles, just like it is normal now to sand the handle for the finger hook. You will know people who don't actually play with their jpen's or who took the pictures while their jpen's were brand new, because it still would not have this Wpen mod. Eventually manufactureres starting with Nittaku will introduce factory-made Wpens, with integrated side bumps. :) :)

Here's a pic of the grip:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 17:09 
Super User

I would call it a buttress, just because i think it's a nice word. If people give you trouble about it, you can say it's a buttress for your hand (or thumb). Clearly a racket is nothing without a hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 01:36 

I understand you use RPB with your Violin R-H, do you ?
If so, what are the advantages you find with such set-up compared with trad chinese or japanese handle ?
Let me ask another way...Violin R-H is neither real japanese or chinese handle. It's something in between...Right ?
If someone would like to start playing (just for fun...) penhold, comming from SH of course, and still using back face for RPB, would Violin R-H be an easier way to go ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 02:04 
Super User

Violin R-H is fully Jpen. It's just that you can do Jpen on both sides. With my mod, it is now a hybrid of Cpen & Jpen, in that the width of the handle is like Cpen, but with still a finger hook. Some people make hybrid cpen-jpen, starting from Cpen and then putting a cork stub for the finger hook. But that approach does not modify the centerline of the handle; it is still straight on. My mod with the side bump, moves the centerline towards the thumb side, making the handle more ergonomic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 03:48 

Thank you for answering. 1 more question, if I may. How do you rest your fingers on the BH side ? Are they on a cork or on the rubber ? Could you post picture ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 15:39 
Super User

jolan wrote:
Thank you for answering. 1 more question, if I may. How do you rest your fingers on the BH side ? Are they on a cork or on the rubber ? Could you post picture ?

Most probably on rubber...
if it is on cork... there may be weight balance problem: head of blade will feel heavy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 20:36 
Super User

the front looks exactly the same as the back. the fingers rest on the rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2008, 21:57 
Super User

addoydude,

For violin R-H, does it allow u to stick the back rubber closer to the handle? or is the cutting similar to the front?

If the front rubber is similar to the back one, then your fingers should be resting half on the cork and rubber...