OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 16:03 

Mhm, so i got back from Essex trials yesterday, which is a regional qualifier. I was in the under 18's tier 2 seeing as i just moved up categories and finished 9th, but probably should've been in the top 2. Anyway something i noticed was i had a lack of variation on my forehand and the rarity of reverse penhold opener. And also remembered a few things ive been told over the past season.

I went to watch the verteren no1 in england, a fellow penholder and she told me the essence of penhold is the use of the wrist-snap when performing a forehand. What iw as actually wondering though - and never thought to ask cause i was more interested in learning how to do it - is when to do it and what it physically does to teh ball. I figure it generates more top spin and more speed on teh ball or something but just thought i'd clarify, and is it only good when performing forehand drives? i'm guessing on a slow loop it'd just push it up and away from the table.

Any help is appreciated =]
Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2008, 19:45 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hi mate, glad to hear your progress!

I watch a former national team player, plays cpen with RPB. I figure the wrist snap is for both RPB and forehand, probably gives him a lot more spin than just having the arm swing.

I also think it can be used in pretty much any forehand stroke needing spin.

I also think you'll have to dedicate some time to integrate it into your game, I believe it will difficult at first as the timing will probably be affected.

Cheers!