OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 07:25 
Super User

I'd like to hear more about Yasaka Extra and Nittaku Violin from players that used both blades.
Violin is no.1 on my wishlist but too expensive for me. I played with Extra all+ as a beginner and loved it.
Do I even need to buy Violin? It is about 5 times the cost of Extra. Is Violin worth it or should I just buy myself YE again and enjoy it with my more advanced skill ?
This is me planing my main blade for the next year. Violin and Virtuoso off- I dream of, but maybe I don't really need them. I'm wandering if these more expensive blades are really so superior to cheaper stuff.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2014, 15:16 
The Court Jester
The Court Jester

Obi-wan wrote:
I'd like to hear more about Yasaka Extra and Nittaku Violin from players that used both blades.
Violin is no.1 on my wishlist but too expensive for me. I played with Extra all+ as a beginner and loved it.
Do I even need to buy Violin? It is about 5 times the cost of Extra. Is Violin worth it or should I just buy myself YE again and enjoy it with my more advanced skill ?
This is me planing my main blade for the next year. Violin and Virtuoso off- I dream of, but maybe I don't really need them. I'm wandering if these more expensive blades are really so superior to cheaper stuff.

I have not tried Violin. The price is quite steep and I don't think I need one.
I have tried YE, YEO, and some other penhold blades. Actually, I started with YE (a great blade), but later wanted something a bit faster. I am quite happy with YEO.
My two favourite blades: YEO for looping and blocking, and BTY Chinese Real for hitting and blocking.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2014, 10:08 
Super User

There are pros whose livelihood depend on winning who used YE/YEO. If the Violin had any credible advantage sure they'd have used that instead.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 01:03 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I haven't got a violin but I do have the acoustic which is softer and faster but otherwise similar to the violin. Professional players have used all three, all good blades but since they are all good blades and the Extra costs 1/4 the price and I think the best of the three.. Well you know what to do.

The OSP expert is a hide glued blade like the Nittakus and even at its high price still costs less than the Acoustic and is a LOT lot lot better than an acoustic. (Lots). If you are looking for that exquisite feel and kick only a hide glue blade can bring I'd recccomend the expert, I've played the virtuoso too. Its more similar to the yasaka extra, quite stiffer than the very bendy loop happy expert.. The donic waldner senso carbon jo shape is probably better than the extra too and cheap.

Plenty good cheap blades out there.

The acoustic kicks a little bit but only if you have a fairly quick swing. Nothing like the wobble board expert.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 11:50 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
foam wrote:
I haven't got a violin but I do have the acoustic which is softer and faster but otherwise similar to the violin. Professional players have used all three, all good blades but since they are all good blades and the Extra costs 1/4 the price and I think the best of the three.. Well you know what to do.

The OSP expert is a hide glued blade like the Nittakus and even at its high price still costs less than the Acoustic and is a LOT lot lot better than an acoustic. (Lots). If you are looking for that exquisite feel and kick only a hide glue blade can bring I'd recccomend the expert, I've played the virtuoso too. Its more similar to the yasaka extra, quite stiffer than the very bendy loop happy expert.. The donic waldner senso carbon jo shape is probably better than the extra too and cheap.

Plenty good cheap blades out there.

The acoustic kicks a little bit but only if you have a fairly quick swing. Nothing like the wobble board expert.

Whoa, steady on there foam, isn't the Waldner rated OFF-, seems a bit high on the speed scale for you?

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2014, 15:49 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It's not that fast, did you know its a Donic allplay with a carbon layer above the core, it's only barely got any carbon feel. What I like about it is that its a very sharp and direct blade, it goes exactly where you aim it.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!