OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: More Penhold info
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 17:51 

I was just wondering whether there were any sites out there for more info on the penhold style of play, it seems limited. Obviously i can read most of the stuff on shakehand and apply it to my play but there are some little penhold tricks and tips i've picked off older penholders which i'd never've learnt otherwise. So is ther any fountain of knowledge that's been kept away from my prying eyes? :)

tia, chu

Post subject: Re: More Penhold info
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 19:32 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Chu wrote:
I was just wondering whether there were any sites out there for more info on the penhold style of play, it seems limited. Obviously i can read most of the stuff on shakehand and apply it to my play but there are some little penhold tricks and tips i've picked off older penholders which i'd never've learnt otherwise. So is ther any fountain of knowledge that's been kept away from my prying eyes? :)

Care to share what you've already learned, so that we may be able to contribute as well? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 19:53 
I am Legend
I am Legend

If you find anything, let me know.
I've basically learnt from watching penhold matches and training videos.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 00:09 

anything i've found, silver, is just on the grip itself or selling equipment for it, hence why i made this post :)

Yuzuki wrote:
Care to share what you've already learned, so that we may be able to contribute as well? :)

well i've only played with a few penholders: Tong Fei Ming (former women's world top 10), Peter Tan (her agent and one of our club's best players), KK (who's real name i was never told and his experience i don't know - but his son was a former regional team player - i think lol) and also another woman who's name i forget, she was former vetts no1 or something? i dunno....people never introduce themselves properly lol. so anyway:

Fei Ming, i only played with for about 15 minutes during a demonstration. She always stressed about footwork, bouncyness but told me to learn crossover footwork and that i should pull away from teh table because i have longer arms for loop shots and that i shouldn't play a close to the table hitter style because of this. Not particularly helpful for anyone else but if it was an important tip for me.

Peter Tan was also a big stresser on fotowork. He told me that my technical skills were more then satisfactory and better then his. That when practicing i should be practing down the line more then cross-court, he never told me why. Next he told me if the opponent tried to cut my forehand sideline NOT to, move far out in order to play teh shot, or to extend my arm and elbow-snap more. Instead, to step into the table with my right foot (right handed) and bring my arm around (elbow tight to the body) after that throwing the body into the shot in order to generate more power. If the ball wasn't in a power drive (what i call it) position then to flick or push. Basically not to overuse the elbow or be convinced that body rotation is as important as people say when not in a comfortable position.

KK, a bubbly man, also insisted on playing down the line saying it was far too neglected as a training drill. He, unlike the others, had some experience with the reverse penhold shot (although he hated it and iddn't want to use it :lol: ). He said to never traditional block then reverse loop as the transition in finger pressure would never work as well i wanted. I'd have to block and rally for position then step arond. The reverse shot was better if iw as coming off the forehand as the fingers wouldn't need to change, whereas they woudl forehand > trad block. Also he talked about 'pressing' the ball. If i was in a rally if i wanted to slow down teh ball and spin that i shouldn't play a static block that i should use the sponge and play a short forearm movement in order to play the shot. Thus applying the pressure on the opponent whilst doing waht a static block would've done.

Finally this other woman (who i've seen coaching a rival team but is till don't know her name), and her english was hardly perfect said 'flick flick flick, penhold is all about wrist, flick flick flick'... (i was watching her at a league match at the time).. and what do you knwo she flicked everything. Didn't play a single push just flicked, came away from teh table used the flick to change direction and speed with devastating effect. Though i've never been able to replicate this. However for my short play i find if i am going to flick if i go in on the closest foot, leave my other leg slightly in the air, then elbow snap and add a bit of wrist for the shot, then i can bounce off that foot and back onto my other foot for a better loop on the next shot. Much better recovery then what i'm taught about having a strong base during those shots, which i dont think is neccesary

Also a young coach - although not a penhold - stresed to me the change in elbow height between loops and drive/smashes. High elbow almost in line with teh shoulder, using mainly body rotation and lack of elbow and wrist snap for smashes and drives. However to create spin the elbow needs to drop and using mainly teh big arm and elbow and wrist for the loop.

if any of that doesnt make sense i can try elborate... but that's what i've picked up over the few sessions i've had with some older penholders. They are few and far between i must admit. Hope that helped a bit, some are just common sense :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 05:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Great info Chu! Thanks. All these "little" things fit logically together.
You wrote:
Quote:
That when practicing i should be practicing down the line more then cross-court, he never told me why.

It is the shortest distance, so the fastest shot, and penholder play is about speed.
Quote:
Next he told me if the opponent tried to cut my forehand sideline NOT to, move far out in order to play teh shot, or to extend my arm and elbow-snap more. Instead, to step into the table with my right foot (right handed) and bring my arm around (elbow tight to the body) after that throwing the body into the shot in order to generate more power.

Same reasoning here: don't lose time by moving out, gain time by moving in.
Quote:
flick flick flick, penhold is all about wrist, flick flick flick'.

And again: this is about speed - a flick is made in less time than any other stroke (except for the block, which is another penholder forte) and can be done anywhere, over the table, and close to the net, so you can react very fast all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 08:20 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I haven't seen anything specific to the penhold in that account, Chu, only that I'm a bit sure that penhold players tend to have a lot of more available wrist movement than shakehand players due to the grip itself.

Other than that, the tips weren't specific to penhold, but they were well-thought of insights into the games those coaches played.

That is, of course, my personal opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2009, 18:50 

ah that make sense kees thanks :) and true yuzuki, although things like stepping in aren't quite achievable with shakehand it becomes awkward, well it was when i tried it anyway, it was easier just to actually extend the arm. none the less, any info you could share :)? or anyone else for that mattter lol anything helps imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2009, 00:30 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Chu wrote:
although things like stepping in aren't quite achievable with shakehand it becomes awkward, well it was when i tried it anyway, it was easier just to actually extend the arm.

Ah, there's a thought -- I do think it's a bit more efficient to play above-table strokes using penhold grips than shakehand grips due to the wrist angle.

PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 17:20 

Agree with Yuzuki on more efficient to play above-table strokes using penhold grips than shakehand grips due to the wrist angle. Also, penhold players tend to have a lot more wrist movement than shakehand players due to the grip itself.