OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 12:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Jpen forehand rubber
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2007, 11:58 
Super User

I'm looking for a good 729 rubber to go with my Galaxy 982 (one ply juniper). I tend to like soft sponges more, so I was looking towards Higher III and Faster III. I already have one sheet of Higher III on another Jpen of mine, and I really like it. Does anyone have any suggestions besides those two, and of those two, which would you probably say is better? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2007, 13:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
They are both good rubbers, and not a huge differecne between them I belive. For a more looping style, go for the Higher III, for more hitting/ driving loop the Faster III. The focus II is another option which is virtually non-tacky and even more euro-like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2007, 12:53 
Super User

On the topic of that same blade, I'm now considering getting some rubber for RPB on it, but I want to keep it pretty light. I was thinking maybe something with thin sponge, maybe even OX, like Dr Evil. Any suggestions? I'm currently using FX Super soft for my RPB (on a different blade, LKT One), but even that, with Higher III on forehand which is fairly light, feels kinda top heavy to me.

Edit: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried using anti for RPB? Just trying a few random shots, holding a shakehand blade of mine that has anti (1.0mm sponge) on it like a Jpen, it seems to work pretty well.

Edit 2: Playing for a few minutes using the anti for RPB, it seems to actually work really well for short, flick-like shots, but not as well for the usual sweeping stroke. On the flick shots, it bascially fires really quickly straight forward with a little bit of sidespin and topspin, just high enough to get over the net. It might work well if you don't use the RPB too often like me, just as a surprise shot to pull out at random and startle your opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2007, 19:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Supersoft is among the lightest rubbers. I guess if you're going to block, an long pimple OX might be a good option, which is very light. I know quite a few people that use that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2007, 22:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I put Dr. Evil on the back of a Jpen blade and it worked pretty well for hitting, drop shots and chops with the backside. It is very light (10 grams) and feels good against the fingers unlike some long pips.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 08:20 
Super User

Hm, just wondering since I've never tried it like this, but I'd like to lighten up my LKT One a bit, but still have a strong RPB loop, does 1.5mm rubber work well for RPB, specifically the 1.5mm FX super soft? I'm using 2.2 super soft right now, and while it gives me tons of power, it's just way too heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 09:38 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm not sure the change to 1.5mm will make a huge difference, since this rubber is already very light. The blade and your other rubber probably make up most of the weight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 10:31 
Super User

I didn't think it was my backhand rubber that was the problem either, but when I took the sheet off for a little while to try my hand at single-sided penhold, I noticed that my blade was actually too light! I'm just trying to find some middle ground. When I glued my RPB sheet back on, I cut about half of it off, so my fingers were only touching the wood part and the rubber began right below them. This seems to have lightened it up considerably, but it's unbalanced. I was thinking that 1.5 on half of the back would be light enough that I wouldn't be hindered by the weight, but not so light that I wouldn't have enough power on my forehands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 20:00 
Super User

Hobbes wrote:
Edit: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried using anti for RPB? Just trying a few random shots, holding a shakehand blade of mine that has anti (1.0mm sponge) on it like a Jpen, it seems to work pretty well.

One of young players in Serbia regional ligue play cpen with anti for PRB, mostly to return serves just strait parralel to right opponent side, but he struggle with it during the ralley...
Lot of young players there start with antis to develop the right angle, and some stay with it...