OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 02 May 2024, 23:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2009, 17:55 
Liquid Evil Chopper

dsc13 wrote:
Silver wrote:
You may not have found your traditional bh has suffered whilst learning RPB, but can you honestly say that the time you spent on your RPB wouldn't have improved your traditional BH? Or the time spent learning your traditional BH wouldn't have made your RPB far more effective? Have you found your RPB has fully integrated into your game yet? Do you need to make a decision whether to play an RPB? You may think you have fully integrated it, but can you honestly say you haven't started an RPB and then switched to a BH or vice versa?

My traditional BH is actually better now than it has ever been, and my RPB loop is one of my most effective shots. I don't have to think about which to use in a rally. If I block/counter, I automatically use my traditional BH, and when I want to spin from the BH, I use my RPB. None of it was natural at first -- it has to be made automatic by training and lots of it. The only time I have problems is during practice when I'm doing a BH drill and decide that I'm going to use my RPB exclusively. In those cases, when ball comes quickly to my middle, it's hard for me not to reflexively use my traditional BH.

Did you learn traditional BH exclusively first and then learn the RPB? Or did you learn RPB exclusively?

What grip do you use to be able to switch between traditional block and RPB?

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 00:28 

Beer Belly wrote:

My grip is similar to Kan Yo's grip.

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 10:57 
Liquid Evil Chopper

dsc13 wrote:
Beer Belly wrote:

My grip is similar to Kan Yo's grip.

So basically this?

If so, when doing traditional blocks, you'd have to change grip yeah? Any tip on how to do that quickly and shift back to original grip?

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 02 May 2009, 12:32 

Beer Belly wrote:

If so, when doing traditional blocks, you'd have to change grip yeah? Any tip on how to do that quickly and shift back to original grip?

I don't change my grip between FH/traditional BH/RPB. It is a challenge to find a "neutral" grip that allows you to use all three effectively. I think you have to have the 3 fingers extended, like Kan Yo, Ma Lin, Wang Hao, in order to maintain stability when using your RPB. When performing a FH and RPB, use your thumb pressure to control the blade angle, with a relaxed index finger. I have a bad habit of pushing down with my index finger on my FH, similar to how some JPHers will use their index fingers, hooked around the JPH handle. This opens the blade up, so my loops fly off the table.

With the traditional BH, you can lift your thumb up to allow more leverage to close the blade.

I find it to hard to change my grip in middle of a point as a PHer, so I try to avoid it.

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 03:30 

RPB is different style and I don't think it's better than the traditional penhold style. I know a few amateurs who are trying to imitate Wang Hao and Ma Lin because they think it's RPB which makes them so good. But their RPB is too awkward and inconsistent that they go nearly nowhere - zero progress.
Traditional single-sided penhold with some long pips on the back, just in case, is still the preferable way to go!

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 07:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I don't change my grip either, and I keep my fingers curled, just like my coach does. He blocks traditionally with pips but also loops with the reverse side. So there are a range of ways to do it.

I think most Chinese penholders don't change their grip, though they can vary the angle with thumb and forefinger pressure. Korean style penholders seem to varytheir grip more, also Chiang seems to move his fingers.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 14:49 
Liquid Evil Chopper

i find it difficult to open up angles with RPB with the curl grip. :oops:

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 26 May 2009, 18:56 

I think PH will still be around, but in lesser numbers. The reason being there will be coaches in China/Korea/Japan who will still teach PH in addition to the shake-hand grip.

RPB is different PH style and I do not think it is better than the traditional penhold style. RPB does bring the PH grip back into the modern age at the moment. However, the problem will be that there is not enough coaches, especially outside China, who can properly coach a PH. Most Chinese penholders do not change their grip, though they can vary the angle with thumb and forefinger pressure. Korean style penholders seem to vary their grip more.

Wang Hao and Ma Lin are most likely the 2 best RPB PH players in the world at the moment.