OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 16:01 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Now, now. Why would I be reviewing a cpen blade when I use LP on a shakehander? The answer: more cpen experience. I started as a penholder and was one for many years. Fooled around with shakehand last year and switched to it sort of fully for the modern def game. I'm still not sure if the modern def game is for me in the long term, but what I know is that I'm more confident with cpen.

So on with the review! Fattchoi has provided mini-reviews about this blade here and there and it was him in fact who introduced me to this blade - thanks man! I'm sure he'll have additional comments.

Firstly, some pictures (sorry for the quality):

As you can see, the middle part of the carbon is bluish. Looks like a wood ply to me, but appears to be infused with carbon through condensation processing technique.

Blade Name: Kokutaku Laser Carbon (cpen) - 76g after sealing
Plies: 7 (2 hinoki external plies, central core is "infused" with blue carbon via condensation processing)
Thickness: around 6.3mm
Current setup: H3 blue sponge on FH, Sriver on BH

Feel: On the stiff side, and due to the hinoki on the outside and carbon in the inner layer, it neither feels hard nor soft (bias to the hard side - but just right proportion IMO). Dwell time is not as high as wood blades, but this blade doesn't feel like a "proper" carbon blade. In fact, it feels woody and even more so on harder hits. It's stable on hits, loops and blocks as one would expect from carbon, with vibrations very well contained (unlike YEO which persist). I think the H3 might be a tad too hard for this blade (might try Cream MRS), while Sriver is a bit soft for RPB.

Comments: Choi's Darker 7P-2A (5 hinoki +2 carbon) cpen feels similar in many ways but the laser carbon is a wee bit more stable i think. I haven't tried Ma Lin Carbon yet but the Kokutaku is certainly worth a try in my books. It's about 8,000 yen which is the expenside side but hey it's a Kokutaku with good quality hinoki in it!

Chop til you drop baby!

Last edited by Beer Belly on 06 May 2009, 18:14, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 16:30 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

Wow, you put me to shame :oops: A proper review and with photos too :D

I would like to add that this is a very nice blade especially for those who like their blade light and yet retain its ability to impart enough power on drive smashes. Its stable feel allows for very good controlled loop and over the table topspin smash. Its light weight allows for faster instinctive traditional BH block as well.

One other thing. Mine was on a better diet. It is 74g :P :lol: :lol:

Cheers.
p.s. BB, my Darker 7P-2A is the non-carbon version. Hence reason why it is not as stiff. I am very interested in the carbon version but RESISTING very strongly for now :eye:

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 17:21 
Super User

I am really fond of the laser carbon because of the high quality workmanship, great control, and the "woody" feel of the blade that beer belly described. My sh version is ~78gr. Here is my review from a few years ago: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1520&hilit=kokutaku+laser+carbon

PostPosted: 06 May 2009, 18:11 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Ah cheers Choi and tt2u for the additional comments! I must say that I'm also impressed with the quality of the blade. Kokutaku is famous for their hinoki blades and the workmanship is evident in the LC.

p.s. might have to EJ the SH version of the LC (damn u tt2u!) 8)

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 10:25 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

:lol: :lol: :lol: EJ being EJ, I too have been dreaming of trying out the SH version too. BUT fortunately, I am no shakehander so can resist better :P :D :D And it seems like tt2u is one of very few players who own this blade as well. At least we can boast that we own this one blade that Silver has NOT tried! Imagine, Silver don't know what this blade is like :P :lol: :lol:

By the way, last night two guys had a go with my LC with Tenergy 64 on it. I was testing out the Outlaw on my other blades so they got a chance to use my LC. They just love how easy it is to play with. AND like everyone else who tried it, noticed how stable and nice the feel of the blade. Great control. And then could not believe it when I told them that it is actually a carbon blade :lol:

Cheers.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 11:54 
Cho Tokusen

Beer Belly, Fattchoi and Tt2u, I hate you all :evil: :evil: :) :)
I have just bought Kokutaku Stay Sher and I thought I would stop buying, until I read your posts. Now I am wobbly again, because the Laser Carbon is on my list after it was introduced to me by Fattchoi (I resisted the temptation so far). Now it has attracted me again :(
Fattchoi, I don't remember yours is C-pen or J-pen ?

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 12:07 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

aeoliah, both mine and Beer Belly are cpen. Beer Belly got to try my cpen with Tenergy 64 and really love it. In fact, so many people who have tried the LC cannot help but comment on how stable it is. I avoid using the word stiff because though it is stiff, it also has feeling :D And for a carbon blade, it has wood feel but the power of carbon when you want to draw on it. Go on, you will never be satisfied until you hold a LC in your hand. Get in before Silver does :P :D :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 12:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
fattchoi wrote:
aeoliah, both mine and Beer Belly are cpen. Beer Belly got to try my cpen with Tenergy 64 and really love it. In fact, so many people who have tried the LC cannot help but comment on how stable it is. I avoid using the word stiff because though it is stiff, it also has feeling :D And for a carbon blade, it has wood feel but the power of carbon when you want to draw on it. Go on, you will never be satisfied until you hold a LC in your hand. Get in before Silver does :P :D :D

Cheers.

Choi, this sounds a little like my Gergely feels, so I can appreciate what you are saying. I will resist the LC. I will resist the LC. I will resist the LC. I will resist the LC. :?

Aeoliah, you had your chance mate and you blew it.
You bought a blade and now you're stewin' it.
You should have taken Choi's advice,
So now you pay the EJ price.
It sounds to me like like LC's the go.
So suck it up man and blow more doe! :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 13:19 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Blah. Don't drag me into this :P

I'm not interested because it's 6.3mm.

Reeeeeally. I'm not interested.

:P

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 15:26 
Cho Tokusen

Hey, what's wrong with 6.3 mm ?
I guess I have no choice, so I will contact iruiru, hopefully they don't have the weight I want :D

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 15:50 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

aeoliah, there is nothing wrong with 6.3mm. Silver is just saying that to trick you so that he can get in first :P :lol: :lol: Anyway, are you getting the jpen version? It looks really nice as well.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 16:37 
Cho Tokusen

Yes, I use only J-pen square (although I have some C-pens too). Actually I asked for both KLC and the Stay Sher, but the weight of KLC was not suitable for me. I will have to ask again, maybe they have the light one now.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 21:51 
Liquid Evil Chopper

You guys can blame Fattchoi for introducing the blade to the forum in the first place! :lol: But he's right about the wood feel, control, and carbon power - I think Kokutaku got the mix right. I wish there's a bit more dwell time but that's not a problem with the right rubber, like Choi's setup with tenergy (I tried his blade first before buying it - it was love at first sight!). Lovely blade - a keeper for sure.

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 16:40 
Cho Tokusen

It seems that Beer Belly is also putting the blame on you, Fattchoi :lol:
BTW, what is the total length and the width of your C-pen KLC ?

PostPosted: 11 May 2009, 17:12 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Blade surface:

Y = 15.5cm
X = approx 15cm
Total length (including handle) = 23.2cm

Chop til you drop baby!