OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Penhold twiddling
PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 16:07 
Super User

Although I occasionally do so (maybe 10% of the time), most of the time I don't really twiddle much - the game is too fast for me (or my twiddle is too slow).

Anyway, an experienced player yesterday advised me not to twiddle as it affects my shot consistency. Thinking logically about it, it makes sense. Having to constantly re-adjust my stroke and angles (I have SP on one side and inverted on the other) between the 2 rubbers will only hinder my efforts to become more consistent, especially if you're a beginner.

This has led me to re-examine the pros and cons for twiddling:

Pros
- for deception (eg. twiddling from inverted to LP when blocking to confuse an opponent)
- to handle particularly spinny serves (I used to do this when I had LP on one side). However, as you improve, you should be able to take serves on any rubber.
- gives you more options
- introduces complexity to your game

Cons
- hampers consistency
- introduces complexity to your game - greater chance of fumbling a shot

This is probably an extreme view (ie. 100% twiddling vs 100% non-twiddling), and most players don't twiddle 100% of the time, and only use it when the occasion calls for it, but I'd still like to hear some comments on the subject of twiddling.

Juic Offense Ultima 2.0mm Red

Backup:
Blade: Stiga Optimum Sync C-Pen
Globe 999 National Team 2.0mm Red
729 804-40 Super Soft Pro Ver 2.0mm Black

On its way: Haifu Blue Whale II (Black Sponge) Red Label Factory Tuned

Post subject: Re: Penhold twiddling
PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 16:34 

I normally do not twiddle my bat when I play. But about a month and a half ago I started twiddling and found it to be interesting. Depending on the opponent shot and style of play, I twiddle to counter his shots.

No doubbt, most professional would advise against twiddling like what guitarpug has mentioned on the pros & cons. For me, I would do it as I do not play competitively, only socially.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 10:37 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

I can't twiddle. But I am now learning to do the next best thing for my BH. I have lp on my reverse side of my cpen. So to mix the game up, especially in a pushing rally, I would alternate using my traditional BH and rpb BH push. I tried it a few times last night and it seem to work pretty well. Without fail, my opponent would pop the ball up when I use the lp to push. The better opponent upon realising that would control the push to my FH as much as they could. BUT I answer that with my FH drive smash :D It is a very simple strategy I believe would work wonders once I get better with it.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 12:00 
Super User

How do you push with RPB fattchoi? When I use RPB, its almost always a looping action, or it goes into the net? I have tried BH chop with RPB, but still not very confident with it. More practice for me I suppose.... :(

Backup:

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 12:33 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

GP, unfortunately, there is no shortcut to anything. As you said it, more practice. I have myself only just started to use rpb push, chop, block and loop. I don't even know if my technique is right or wrong, to be honest. All I care about right now is to be able to return the shot :D

But one practice which I find very useful is you get someone to keep pushing to your BH. Then you consciously keep doing the rpb push. Watch the ball and feel the ball on the blade. That is why I find it so important to marry the lp on the right kind of blade for very good feel and control. You will find your newly acquired KLC with an lp (sorry I got your Octopus already :P ) gives very good feel and control. Anyway, keep doing the rpb push until you see the ball just float nicely across the net. When you do that, you will also find that it feels so good. Before long, you should get it. Then up one step and train with pushing/chopping with traditional BH and rpb. Once this is achieved, you will confound your opponent. No twiddling or even change of grip required.

By the way, I find rpb push/chop much easier with thin sponged lp just like the Octopus you gave me. I tried with the Neptune 0.6mm (very cheap alternative) and find it to be so nice too. You should get a piece from OOAK and give it a go with your KLC.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 12:49 
Super User

Thanks for the tips fattchoi! I've already bought a SP rubber (Juic Offense Ultima) to use on my BH so I'll try that and see how it goes.

Backup:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 02:02 
Super User

I recently picked up this practice with my cpen. It's a lot of fun and as with everything, has it's advantages & disadvantages.

Inverted one side, medium pips the other.

Advantages:
- Adds complexity to your game.
- Variation in spin can give opponents trouble if they're not completely focused on the variation. Can get the occasional easy error.
- Easiest form for varying spin on your serve. (same stroke can have either a little spin or a lot depending on which side you use)
- Pips is great for service return.
- I would argue even more flexibility on the backhand vs shakehand grip for which rubber you want to hit with. Traditional backhand? Or RPB? You can simply choose.

Disadvantages:
- Rare occasion of getting caught mid twiddle while hitting.
- Situations where you'd ideally like to hit with inverted (say mid rally) and are forced to take it with pips. (I encounter this on the occasion where I want to take RPB with inverted, I cheat over to make that happen and they still hit it to my forehand. :( )
- Much like how your opponent has to focus what side you hit with, you do too.

If you're not a technical/strategy type of person, some people just want to hit, then this isn't for you.

I chose medium pips for my setup because I wanted the element of deception along with the ability to hit should I need it and this works for that. I don't think I'd have the courage to ever attack with a long pips.

If I ever were to continue this practice, I would be tempted to switch from medium pips to an even more aggressive short pips. Say an 802-40 or something like that.