OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 06:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Ma Lin's Critiques
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 17:44 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Dated: The 18th of AUgust, 2001.

Link: http://home.covad.net/~chunglau/081801.htm

Ma Lin's Critiques

ARTICLE

Ma's self critique:

SOme Comments towards ma Lin.

Overall I felt that my performance was acceptable. I had more energy in the teams than in the individuals. During the closed training, I asked to play in teams, and I had a very strong desire to play in teams. My goal was to regain the Swaythling Cup.

On the court, I fought for every point. My problem was in rallying. When I played against Kong and Liu Guozheng, I could not add power to my backhand shots. Perhaps I need to be stronger physically. I was not as good as Chiang Peng Lung or Kim Taek Soo in this respect. I need to improve through more training. In the teams semifinal match, I did not feel confident in rallies against Ryu Seung Min; I felt that my feet were heavy, and I could not stay with my opponent physically. I felt the same way in the match against Kong. In singles, my earlier opponents were not very strong, so I did OK.

Against J-S Saive, I did well in previous matches. But in the team finals, after I made several errors in counter-looping, my tactics were no longer firm. I played passively, and did not use all the tactics. I was afraid to lose. I need to work with my coaches to solve these problems.

Liu's comments:

I play in the same club as you, so I understand you quite well. I can say that whatever Liu Guozheng lacks, you have.

In the team finals against Saive, it was not easy to win under those conditions. From both strategic and tactical points of view, you should have done much better. At the end, you did not have enough courage. You have to give it your all, and be more ferocious. Calculate carefully, then be determined to break through. The penhold style requires that you be aggressive and take risks. The top players all have very strong sense of tactics, you have to be insistent.

You always were worrying about covering the whole table. You made the right guesses a lot of times, but you did not dare to full-out attack. Against Ryu you had great spirits. If you could play like that every match, you will be great.

Kong's comments:

In the semifinals, you were behind 8-15, but you came back to win. That was not easy at all. Against Saive, you had too little variation. You were serving short all the time. You served long once, but it netted, but that long ball had Saive hesitating a little, and made him think about what you would serve next. But you were afraid to serve long after that net ball. When you played against me, you did not try to break up my strategy. In the 4 games, you did not serve long once. You need to vary your game. Also you need to raise the quality of your backhand loops. You play a single-winged looping style. Once your opponent understands your game, you would find things difficult, especially if you lack physical stamina. You need to be like Kim, be explosive whenever you have the chance, so as to put more pressure on your opponents.

Coach Yin's comments:

You have contributed to our team winning the Swaythling Cup. In the semifinals, the 3rd match was very critical. When you were behind 8-15, you still maintained your calm and bore down. When the opponent was varying his tactics, you were able to withstand the pressure. Actually, you did not have any tactical advantage. But you waited for your chances, and did not give up. You fought for every point.

The first match in the finals was not easy. If we beat Saive, we would win, so that was a very important match. You played quite well, and the focus during the closed training had a lot to do with that.

You need to have more courage. When it is time to be determined, then you have to be determined. When it is time to change, you have to change. You cannot rely on your best shot all the time. You have an excellent short game, and you tend to use it exclusively. That is not good. Even though it is your best shot, if your opponent understands it, it will not be a best shot anymore. You have to surround your best shot with variations. On your backhand, your blocking is a little shaky. You need to work on it, and see if you can use the reverse side more. Wang Hao can use the reverse side in looping and fast countering. You learned the reverse-side skills late, and you do not have a strong sense of blocking. Most importantly you have to increase your forehand power. You have good footwork, and can cover the whole table, but at the end of the match you will not have enough energy, and your explosiveness and your power will decrease. So you should study the opponent, and focus your power instead of spreading it over the whole table. Another problem to resolve is how to increase your stamina: this will be an exercise for us.

Coach Shi's comments:

The match in the team final was critical, and it was natural for you to be nervous. It is not easy to withstand the pressure, so you need to maintain this advantage that you possess.

Your willpower should be proportional to spirits. Against Saive, you won, but there were still problems. Many times, you guessed correctly on what your opponent would do, but you do not have the guts to execute. This shows that you lack willpower. Your short balls are great, but you need to use the long balls, too. You cannot be too "square". You have to learn from Kim's spirits: you need great spirits to play as a penholder. You have to break through. If you want to be champion, you need to pass 7 tests. You cannot lose any match.

Coach Wu's comments:

I was worried about you in teams. You did not play much in the beginning, and I was concerned that you would not be used to the pressure. In the finals, you wanted to win, but you were nervous in a match that you should win. You did not loop any backspin returns. I think after this experience, you would not be as nervous in the future. Sometimes you think too much, and you lack willpower.

In the singles you did well. But you need to solve this problem: If the opponent controls your 3rd-ball attacks, how would you rally? Against Kong, you did not use any long balls. Even though you have the technical ability, you do not have the willpower. Singles is like that: the opponents get stronger and stronger. This requires that you have a strong will at the critical junctures, and you be able to vary. In our internal matches, you usually won against Kong. But in the Worlds, you got nervous, and that affected your execution. This is a problem of the mind. If you are good, then you should believe that you are good. Don't be afraid to vary your tactics. If you have a better serve than your opponent, and if you can score two points on your opponent's round of serves, you would have the match won. But you need to be even better. What if your serves are not as good as your opponent's? You have to increase your willpower, and not be afraid when you get into the rallying phase. Also, how to block when rallying is a problem to tackle.

Coach Han's comments:

Your specialties are outstanding, and from now on, you have to prefect the rest of your skills. You short pushes are very good, but your flips are not as good. Saive is very good in placing the ball short. He would serve short to your forehand, and if your flips do not have high quality, he would place the ball back to your backhand side. You have to solve this problem. During training, your long serves worked well, but you did not dare to use them. You have to perfect your game, otherwise with increasing age, your physical strength will diminish and with injuries, you would face great difficulties.

Cheers,

Metal Monkey

Post subject: Re: Ma Lin's Critiques
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 19:36 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I enjoyed reading the other players and coaches comments ,They are all positive and all give Ma Lin areas to work on (no doubt he did) They mostly said to vary the serve , be confident and believe in yourself, improve backhand reverse shot ,improve blocking,improve flips, improve power in forehand and improve fitness and energy.

So basicilly he said, his coaches said and his the other players said he needed to work on 80% of his game, get fitter and work on his mental game .lol thats all :D
but apart from that he played good :lol:

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Post subject: Re: Ma Lin's Critiques
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 23:47 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

rodderz wrote:
I enjoyed reading the other players and coaches comments ,They are all positive and all give Ma Lin areas to work on (no doubt he did) They mostly said to vary the serve , be confident and believe in yourself, improve backhand reverse shot ,improve blocking,improve flips, improve power in forehand and improve fitness and energy.

So basicilly he said, his coaches said and his the other players said he needed to work on 80% of his game, get fitter and work on his mental game .lol thats all :D
but apart from that he played good :lol:

hehe... I found it surprising too, If he worked on all areas of his game he will be a top chinese player.

Look at him now :D