OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Changing Rubbers
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 18:53 

Hey guys, new on the forum.

I've just got a query about whether I should replace some rubbers that I have on my DHS CW-D penhold

Currently I have H2|H3 combo on it but I was wondering whether I should replace them with Outlaw 2.2 and Venus 1.5 for speed on the forehand but something a bit more manageable on the BH

I've been playing with a PF4 penhold with 729-2 and Venus 1.5 for the last couple of weeks and I do like the feel of it but would like a bit more speed.

Your thoughts?

Donic Waldner Carbon Senso V1 |Gambler Outlaw 2.2 |729 Lightening 2.2

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Changing Rubbers
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 19:13 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

Hello and welcome to the forum!

First thing i would like to mention is the GOOD OLD Gambler Outlaw 8) :lol: most of the people on this forum have got it, and are in love with it. Here is the thread, have a quick skim read (i no it will be hard since its EVER SO LONG) http://forums.oneofakindtrading.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6624

Can you please describe in a bit more detail about your style of play? how long you have been playing for?
Once updated i'd be more then happy to carry on helping.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 20:49 

I'm a Chinese Penholder, I like to loop and smash. I'm developing my RPB at the moment. I stand close to mid away from the table.

I've only started playing more seriously this year but only played socially once in a while before that. Only really started playing again because at the hospital we're at we have a common room with a table tennis table haha.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 22:40 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

woja wrote:
I'm a Chinese Penholder, I like to loop and smash. I'm developing my RPB at the moment. I stand close to mid away from the table.

I've only started playing more seriously this year but only played socially once in a while before that. Only really started playing again because at the hospital we're at we have a common room with a table tennis table haha.

In that case, i think you should dump the venus and have outlaw on both sides. This will give you the speed, spin and control. If you REALLY want to change your set up for speed maybe get a lighter faster blade? Personally i wouldn't, I would just work on my technique and make it as accurate as possible. With the Outlaw rubber, on both sides your able to loop and smash. People compare outlaw to Tenergy, i use tenergy and its my favo rubber to loop with. If you want your BH faster, get the thickness lower. For the speed and spin you can get from outlaw the control is FANTASTIC, if you know anyone with the rubber try it out and see if you like it.

GL

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 00:06 

Riteo then.

Hopefully I can get the Hurricane 2 and 3 off without too much trouble.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 07:58 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

woja wrote:
Hey guys, new on the forum.

I've just got a query about whether I should replace some rubbers that I have on my DHS CW-D penhold

Currently I have H2|H3 combo on it but I was wondering whether I should replace them with Outlaw 2.2 and Venus 1.5 for speed on the forehand but something a bit more manageable on the BH

I've been playing with a PF4 penhold with 729-2 and Venus 1.5 for the last couple of weeks and I do like the feel of it but would like a bit more speed.

Your thoughts?

Wait, wait. You have a H2/H3 bat and a 729-2/Venus bat? Or you just have spare rubber sheets?

I don't think the Hurricanes offer much of a speed difference over the 729-2, so you might indeed want to try what ILoveTableTennis has suggested.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 10:42 

I've got 2 bats
One H2/H3 on a DHS CW-D
and 729-2/Venus on a PF4-032

I was wondering whether to replace the rubbers on the CW-D and with what.

I've got a new outlaw rubber and a spare Venus rubber.

So you guys think I should get another outlaw and tack it onto the CW-D?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 10:53 
Any Which Way You Can
Any Which Way You Can

woja wrote:

I believe you are on the right track there. Go with the Outlaw 2.2 FH for speed and Venus 1.5 BH for control. After all, you already have those rubbers. Try them out and see how you go first. You can always upgrade your BH for more speed at a later stage if you want.

And a very warm welcome to the forum :D

Cheers.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 17:33 

Thank you!
What's the best way to remove the rubbers without screwing up the old ones too much? A bit of solvent and peel it bit by bit?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2009, 18:22 
The Artist
The Artist

Hey and welcome to the forum, woja :)

Yep, do try the Outlaw on FH CW-D. It should be a good choice as the others have said, but remember that it will feel quite different as it is grippy, whereas the Hurricanes are sticky.

However, do not go for Outlaw on BH/RPB as you are developing your stroke. It is a very tricky stroke and it takes time and effort to learn decently. You will need something much slower and more controllable than Outlaw to acheive that, IMHO.

I used to use Venus 1.5mm fro BH/RPB which is a very nice rubber, but have now changed to 729 Sky-Wing instead. I much prefer the Sky-Wing. It is quite controllable and has a delicate topsheet which makes it easy to produce slow spins and open up with RPB against backspin serves. Over the table it produces all the speed you will need, away from it it lacks umpff. The Sky-Wing was made with RPB in mind and it shows in its characteristics. It might be worth checking out for you. The topsheet is very grippy, not tacky.

You also said you wanted some more speed for your PF4 setup. If you want a rubber similar to the 729-2 but quite a bit faster, you could try the 729-5. Or the 729-08.

Check out the rubber reviews in the Equipment Review Index here for more info: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5367
Just scroll down to Friendship/729 and you'll find them.

Good luck, woja. :)

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2009, 20:05 

Just had my first hit out with the outlaw on the DHS CW-D.
I don't think I'm used to playing with a grippy rubber rather than tacky ones like the hurricanes so I really had to work for my spin.
The ball kept on flying off the end of the table rather than looping down so I think I'm going to have to change my technique somewhat =P

Still getting a lot of power and control though.

All in all I was winning more points with the RPB than with my forehand =)