OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 21:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
How did you remove the cork sheet?

In our latest order from Galaxy we've requested that half of the j-pen blades have the same cork on the back as the front...saves a lot of time for RPB players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 22:15 
Super User

aeoliah wrote:
Hobbes,
the handle on FH near the rubber is worn out or do you shave it ? I am curious to know how long it will be worn out under normal use.
Silver,
It seems we have some slight difference in gripping the blade. My blades are shaved exactly the opposite way compared to yours, that is the shape for your forefinger would be the same with the shape for my thumb. Your shape for the thumb will be the same for my forefinger, but mine is a bit longer.

Mine is not worn down at all, although the part where my fingers rest gets somewhat blackened from the oil that gets into the cork. I've never known a thick Jpen to wear down any significant amount even with many years of play.
My blade is probably shaved a little differently from everyone else's, seeing as I don't play traditional Jpen. Instead of fanning my fingers out on the back, I just have them all pointing pretty much straight down, close enough that they touch each other. It allows for a MUCH stronger backhand (I can loop with traditional backhand about 40% of the time) with a quicker crossover, and a much faster forehand drive since my fingers are all pushing nearer to the sweet spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 22:58 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Hobbes wrote:
Instead of fanning my fingers out on the back, I just have them all pointing pretty much straight down, close enough that they touch each other.

I believe that it's considered bad technique to fan your fingers out...

I could be wrong. I'm a Cpenner, not a Jpenner. I just remmeber seeing a diagram a while back saying that straight fingers bunched together is fine, curled together with the side of the finger touching is fine, curled together with the tips of the fingers touching is fine (this is what I do) but fanned out is bad.

haggisv wrote:
How did you remove the cork sheet?

With a knife and a lot of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 23:25 
Cho Tokusen

Hobbes,
Talking about worn out J-pen, actually I have seen one which belongs to one guest to our club. the BH side where his middle finger rests (no RPB) is really worn out. It is a carbon J-pen, and the outer layer as well as the carbon layer are worn through, so his finger is now resting on the third layer of the blade. The FH side are worn out too, but the carbon layer is still not visible. It is very impressive.
Silver,
It seems that I was not very thorough when looking for the AP so I overlooked it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 00:34 
Super User

Wow, that thing must be pretty old (though can it really be that old if it has carbon plys?).

Fanning your fingers out is the traditional way of holding it, although they never get extremely far apart (not more than 1.5cm in between fingers, usually closer to 1cm). It makes things feel a bit more balanced, but I don't like the somewhat awkward transition to backhand; it's easier to just turn your fingers sideways when they're together, but if they're fanned out you have to bring them together before you can turn them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 07:29 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hobbes wrote:
Fanning your fingers out is the traditional way of holding it, although they never get extremely far apart (not more than 1.5cm in between fingers, usually closer to 1cm). It makes things feel a bit more balanced, but I don't like the somewhat awkward transition to backhand; it's easier to just turn your fingers sideways when they're together, but if they're fanned out you have to bring them together before you can turn them.

My buddy's grip, but if makes for an awful RPB, since the fingers get hit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 08:01 
Super User

If you can overcome the problem of the fingers getting in the way, Jpen RPB feels very controllable and spinny, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 08:09 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I haven't seen a j-pen personally. Would it have a much longer head so it would be possible to use a j-pen RPB by using the extra blade length??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 09:39 
Super User

They're not significantly longer, just squared off on the curve. I suppose it gives you a larger area to use, but unless you're using a pretty light blade and light rubbers it's just going to be too top heavy and awkward. I don't know anyone who uses rounded Jpens for RPB, but I imagine those would be similar to Cpens. If you're really into using RPB, just hold a Cpen as if it were a Jpen. Voila.
I really don't recommend it overall though for anything but Cpen. Jpen has a very strong traditional topspin backhand if you work at it, but using RPB is only going to make you neglect that.
Consider this: since RPB has a significantly longer crossover and since you have to be so much more careful when doing it with Jpen due to your fingers being so close to the contact point, you're only going to be able to *effectively* use it maybe for 30% of shots. However, I can't think of a situation where the traditional backhand would let you down. Not every shot needs to be an attack.
Also, probably the most important thing: two backhands or not, Jpen requires VERY good footwork. RPB will make you lazy. The more pressure you have to move over to your forehand, the better; stick to your strong suit. It is realistically impossible to be able to loop equally well on both wings with penhold, so why even bother with all the extra junk if you're not *losing* points because of your backhand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 09:59 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Sound argument. Really, the fingers get in the way.

I'd like to try a j-pen bat just once :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 11:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Being a shakehand player, I find the j-pens a lot more comfortable to hold... the cork really allows you to get a solid grip... and it's easy to shave down any sharp areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 11:35 
Super User

If you're dying to try one, there are lots of nice Galaxy ones for sale on eBay for less than $30 USD.
I agree, Alex. A nice thick Jpen with good cork is just about the most comfortable kind of blade you can possibly hold. The cork on the LKT One is the softest of any Jpen I've ever tried. I'll sometimes rub my finger across it absent mindedly while watching a movie or something, so it's really blackened. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 16:49 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hobbes wrote:
If you're dying to try one, there are lots of nice Galaxy ones for sale on eBay for less than $30 USD.
I agree, Alex. A nice thick Jpen with good cork is just about the most comfortable kind of blade you can possibly hold. The cork on the LKT One is the softest of any Jpen I've ever tried. I'll sometimes rub my finger across it absent mindedly while watching a movie or something, so it's really blackened. :)

Ah~ a comfort paddle. :lol:

Maybe I'll look for an all-wood -- I've just tried out the Primorac Carbon and I can't say I'm loving it yet.

...which was quite unlike my experience with the Clipper CR.

I think getting a beginner j-pen is much cheaper and better than trying another composite. Ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 19:05 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Yuzuki wrote:
I've just tried out the Primorac Carbon and I can't say I'm loving it yet.

...which was quite unlike my experience with the Clipper CR.

That's because the PC is significantly harder, stiffer and faster than the Clipper CR :P Putting hard sponge hard topsheet rubbers on that thing isn't really a good idea - unless you're dumping heaps of glue on it.

The best thing I used on my PC was Sriver FX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2007, 19:40 
Super User

Well , I am using Samsonov Carbon with Globe 999 National and it is not a problem with the feel of the ball with the proper technique

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!