OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:34

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 12:36 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CR CPEN
FH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5
BH: Winning NP-Grass OX
Hi All,

Looking for some recommendations for a long pip rubber on the penhold backhand side. I'm playing short pips on the FH and would like to experiment with Long Pips on the backhand. I would like to twiddle and attack with the LP side as well.
I am using planning to use on my spare JUIC Kalanic penhold blade (all around) as a test platform.

Some questions that come up:

1) OX or what thickness sponge? Planning to stay close to table and twiddle to hit and also use as rpb if opportunity arises.

2) What adjustments are necessary when hitting with long pips (forehand and rpb)?

Wasn't sure where to post, in Long Pips section or Penhold section (as this application of LP is penholder specific).

I was thinking RITC 755 with .6mm sponge but wasn't sure if 1.0mm sponge would be better to rpb with.

Interested to hear what some of you use and think.

Regards,

phsortpip

BTW. roughly an intermediate player around 1400-1500. Still learning. Playing for fun and exercise and considering playing in tournament again.

Took a 7 year break from table tennis and started up again last year. Transitioned to short pips on my forehand and using inverted for rpb with reasonable success. Should have started out with short pips way in the beginning.

Backhand: winning NP-Grass OX

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 14:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the 755 0.6mm is an excellent one to try... it's quite good for hitting and blocking...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 10:55 

thanks haggisv; i'll look to try this out.

phsortpip

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 11:51 

Thx speedplay; you make some good points. Yes I'm looking to provide some variation in my attacks. I plan on twiddling like Ni Xia Lian but not quite as much. She seems to serve with her short pip side then twirls and hits mostly with her long pips. I would also like to see if rpb with long pips is feasible for me. It seems that i've read in these forums that one or two of the members can rpb with long pips. Also the gentleman who came up with the parallel penhold grip also can rpb with long pips.

I think ultimately, I just need to experiment to find out. If it turns out that to execute the shots I want with long pips makes it behave like short pips, then i should probably play short pips on both sides. I think either way, I'll save some money by not needing to replace the pips rubbers as often due to wear.

I tried long pips (Phantom OX) years ago but used it with little effect; didn't fully understand it and thought it was a quick way to gain a few points with little effort (I was so young and foolish :)

Now as I gotten older and wiser, i figure i can mix my game up by twirling and hitting and not reserving it only for returning tricky serves. Provide some variation in play and also hopefully provide an interesting game for my opponents!

phsortpip

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 11:00 

im trying to adapt this technique right now, but it is really difficult because my blade (Galaxy 989) is very cumbersome to twiddle with. but using the LP, I flat hit just about any serve that comes to my forehand, but with backhand, i've been RPB with my inverted on serves. I also serve with inverted and then twiddle to pips to set up a 5th ball attack.

i'm using Galaxy Neptune with 0.8mm high tension sponge, it's really tricky to control with attacking, it's more of a chop block/chopping LP. I'm thinking of switching to a new LP as well, and I've been researching, the Palio CK531A seems to be a good attacking LP.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 05:16 
Super User

Ni used 837 ox til she got paid to use tsp stuff.
I'd start with 837 ox if you want to play the side-blocks and chop-blocks like her in addition to hitting. If you want to hit almost everything then use sponge.

Talon is pricier but might be worth a try. Good hitting and also a braking effect when blocking harder hits.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 09:46 

i just watched that video about Grass D. Techs on cpen, and it looks like a pretty nifty rubber to pick up

PostPosted: 14 May 2011, 07:52 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

one guy at my club uses DHS cloud and fog III 1.0, and he plays penhold but he does not twiddle. he frequently attacks with the RPB though, and mixes up service with RPB and traditional BH. he can attack pretty easily with these pips too. i had a PM conversation with joo se kevin about this rubber, and he says the rubber produces quite a bit of funk with topspin strokes. but its a bit more sensitive to spin than the conventional LPs.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 00:19 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

ilikepie wrote:
one guy at my club uses DHS cloud and fog III 1.0, and he plays penhold but he does not twiddle. he frequently attacks with the RPB though, and mixes up service with RPB and traditional BH. he can attack pretty easily with these pips too. i had a PM conversation with joo se kevin about this rubber, and he says the rubber produces quite a bit of funk with topspin strokes. but its a bit more sensitive to spin than the conventional LPs.

i too have these pips but not for cpen... they are very deceptive good bit of wobble, very slow drop shots at the net are easy enough, long and mid distnce chopping is kinda difficult ( but that was probably because i wasnt using any force )

also even with the 1mm sponge its very light

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!