OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 00:20 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
Def-attack wrote:
SFF_liberte wrote:
Hi anyone know what short pips Hou is using? What are the pros and cons between short and long pios for chopping?

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

Look at the first post in this thread. I am not sure he use Spectol anymore but I can’t see any sign of him changing either, so most likely he still uses some version of Spectol.

Also look at the video in the first post with him practicing. There you see how easy (well, it looks easy but it ain’t) he changes between heavy back spin and no spin in chops. Opponents have no idea until the ball bounce. This you can’t do with lp, at least not create as big difference in spin as with sp. But the downside is that sp is faster and more grippy with far less control so you will not be as safe in chops as with lp.

Also, with sp you can block and attack close to the table with more speed and accuracy than with lp.

I wonder if the change to ABS ball has been a benefit for Hou’s style? The ball carries less spin so it is easier to use sp with this ball.

Ma Te uses lp on BH and you can see the difference in style when you compare Wang Chuqin’s victory over Ma Te in the semi final with his loss against Hou in the final.

There are not many sp chopper now, simce Muramatsu is away. Only Wang Yang (and he is also doing better than ever). I hope this will make more players try this style, it is sooo fun to watch :clap:.

Muramatsu is away? what do u mean? is he dead?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 00:52 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
garbol wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
SFF_liberte wrote:
Hi anyone know what short pips Hou is using? What are the pros and cons between short and long pios for chopping?

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

Look at the first post in this thread. I am not sure he use Spectol anymore but I can’t see any sign of him changing either, so most likely he still uses some version of Spectol.

Also look at the video in the first post with him practicing. There you see how easy (well, it looks easy but it ain’t) he changes between heavy back spin and no spin in chops. Opponents have no idea until the ball bounce. This you can’t do with lp, at least not create as big difference in spin as with sp. But the downside is that sp is faster and more grippy with far less control so you will not be as safe in chops as with lp.

Also, with sp you can block and attack close to the table with more speed and accuracy than with lp.

I wonder if the change to ABS ball has been a benefit for Hou’s style? The ball carries less spin so it is easier to use sp with this ball.

Ma Te uses lp on BH and you can see the difference in style when you compare Wang Chuqin’s victory over Ma Te in the semi final with his loss against Hou in the final.

There are not many sp chopper now, simce Muramatsu is away. Only Wang Yang (and he is also doing better than ever). I hope this will make more players try this style, it is sooo fun to watch :clap:.

Muramatsu is away? what do u mean? is he dead?

I surley hope not... I ment he hasn’t been competing in international tournaments for a long time. I hope he gets back, such a fun player to watch!

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 01:55 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
I watched the video on the first page to see his technique and variation. Is the secret to varying SP chops that you take the ball "high" (about table level or a little above) and chop vertically with no wrist to generate float, and you take the ball lower (maybe knee height) and chop more under the ball and with more wrist to produce heavy backspin?

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 02:07 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
kaesees wrote:
I watched the video on the first page to see his technique and variation. Is the secret to varying SP chops that you take the ball "high" (about table level or a little above) and chop vertically with no wrist to generate float, and you take the ball lower (maybe knee height) and chop more under the ball and with more wrist to produce heavy backspin?

No, that would be too easy to spot for the opponent. I think the difference between a float chop and a heavy backspin chop is like with LPs the (absence of) use of the wrist.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 09:53 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
Lorre wrote:
kaesees wrote:

No, that would be too easy to spot for the opponent. I think the difference between a float chop and a heavy backspin chop is like with LPs the (absence of) use of the wrist.

Interesting to hear. I don't know if I was looking at that video of Hou practicing and seeing what I wanted to see; I originally got the notion of spin variation with pips based on chopping behind or under the ball from some commentary from Matthew Syed. Syed's comments were about long pips rather than short pips though, so to avoid derailing this thread with LP technique discussion I've done a quick writeup of what I'm talking about in a more appropriate thread.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 17:16 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Anyone understands Chinese?
https://youtu.be/PMv2qFJXDZo

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 11:55 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
BH Still Spectrol
FH DIanchi

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 19:47 
Joo Too
Joo Too

manofan wrote:
BH Still Spectrol
FH DIanchi

Wow. Thanks for the info!

Dianchi has only one rubber, namelu Dianchi. Never heard of it. Also probably a special sponge for Spectol?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 22:12 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Lorre wrote:
Dianchi has only one rubber, namelu Dianchi. Never heard of it.

Yeah, I'm very curious why he chose this specific rubber, from all the options available.

This seems to be the only offering of Dianchi on ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787357485.html
"with sponge like NEO NATIONAL hurricane 3"
From the pictures, the rubber seems to be heavily boosted. Wonder what advantages Dianchi has over other rubbers.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 23:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Amazing that he can win the China National Table Tennis Championships at age 39!

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 20:02 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Wasn't posted. The SF of Hou's run:

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 21:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's interesting to see that not only does he chop with the pimples, also a large portion of his (FH)attacks are with the pimples.
He seems to get an amazing amount of spin with the pimples... impressive as Spectol is not that spinny.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 23:26 
Super User

What version of spectol is it likely to be? Can anyone give me a link to the version he most likely uses? I have a youngster who plays with short pips and I'd like to get him to try this rubber!

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 00:40 
Super User

Blade: Victas Balsa 3.5
FH: H8-80 38 deg
BH: Victas Spectol S1
I have tried all the version of Spectol (normal, speed and 21 sponge).
Spectol 21 sponge in 1.7-1.9mm is the most spinny in my opinion.
The softer sponge of 21 (30 deg) makes the contact of the ball in the topsheet longer.

Before SP (in black playing a 2100+ player: https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 00:41 
Super User

Blade: Victas Balsa 3.5
FH: H8-80 38 deg
BH: Victas Spectol S1
haggisv wrote:
It's interesting to see that not only does he chop with the pimples, also a large portion of his (FH)attacks are with the pimples.

Huh??
Hou doesn't twiddle.

Before SP (in black playing a 2100+ player: https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next