OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Oct 2019, 22:21


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 00:20 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 17 Feb 2015, 08:29
Posts: 521
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 58 times
Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 no22
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
Def-attack wrote:
SFF_liberte wrote:
Hi anyone know what short pips Hou is using? What are the pros and cons between short and long pios for chopping?

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk


Look at the first post in this thread. I am not sure he use Spectol anymore but I can’t see any sign of him changing either, so most likely he still uses some version of Spectol.

Also look at the video in the first post with him practicing. There you see how easy (well, it looks easy but it ain’t) he changes between heavy back spin and no spin in chops. Opponents have no idea until the ball bounce. This you can’t do with lp, at least not create as big difference in spin as with sp. But the downside is that sp is faster and more grippy with far less control so you will not be as safe in chops as with lp.

Also, with sp you can block and attack close to the table with more speed and accuracy than with lp.

I wonder if the change to ABS ball has been a benefit for Hou’s style? The ball carries less spin so it is easier to use sp with this ball.

Ma Te uses lp on BH and you can see the difference in style when you compare Wang Chuqin’s victory over Ma Te in the semi final with his loss against Hou in the final.

There are not many sp chopper now, simce Muramatsu is away. Only Wang Yang (and he is also doing better than ever). I hope this will make more players try this style, it is sooo fun to watch :clap:.

Muramatsu is away? what do u mean? is he dead?

_________________
Butterfly Defence II / TSP Curl P1r 0.5 / DHS Hurricane 3 no22 2.15mm -185g


Top
 Profile  
 


PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 00:52 
Offline
Iron Pips
Iron Pips
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 22:07
Posts: 3952
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 413 times
Blade: Stiga Carbonado 90
FH: Galaxy Jupiter II 2,2 mm
BH: DMS Diabolic ES 1,2 mm
garbol wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
SFF_liberte wrote:
Hi anyone know what short pips Hou is using? What are the pros and cons between short and long pios for chopping?

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk


Look at the first post in this thread. I am not sure he use Spectol anymore but I can’t see any sign of him changing either, so most likely he still uses some version of Spectol.

Also look at the video in the first post with him practicing. There you see how easy (well, it looks easy but it ain’t) he changes between heavy back spin and no spin in chops. Opponents have no idea until the ball bounce. This you can’t do with lp, at least not create as big difference in spin as with sp. But the downside is that sp is faster and more grippy with far less control so you will not be as safe in chops as with lp.

Also, with sp you can block and attack close to the table with more speed and accuracy than with lp.

I wonder if the change to ABS ball has been a benefit for Hou’s style? The ball carries less spin so it is easier to use sp with this ball.

Ma Te uses lp on BH and you can see the difference in style when you compare Wang Chuqin’s victory over Ma Te in the semi final with his loss against Hou in the final.

There are not many sp chopper now, simce Muramatsu is away. Only Wang Yang (and he is also doing better than ever). I hope this will make more players try this style, it is sooo fun to watch :clap:.

Muramatsu is away? what do u mean? is he dead?


I surley hope not... I ment he hasn’t been competing in international tournaments for a long time. I hope he gets back, such a fun player to watch!

_________________
My blog: Def-attack's attempts to find balance between defence/attack | Serving techniques and strategy section


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 01:55 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:49
Posts: 180
Location: CT, USA
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Hurricane 2 (black)
BH: TSP Curl P1r 1.0 (red)
I watched the video on the first page to see his technique and variation. Is the secret to varying SP chops that you take the ball "high" (about table level or a little above) and chop vertically with no wrist to generate float, and you take the ball lower (maybe knee height) and chop more under the ball and with more wrist to produce heavy backspin?

_________________
Seeking joy and fitness in recreational modern defense.
My blog: "Two rubbers, one racket"
Kill the game against long Pimps with Coach Li!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 02:07 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3887
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1024 times
Been thanked: 543 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?
kaesees wrote:
I watched the video on the first page to see his technique and variation. Is the secret to varying SP chops that you take the ball "high" (about table level or a little above) and chop vertically with no wrist to generate float, and you take the ball lower (maybe knee height) and chop more under the ball and with more wrist to produce heavy backspin?


No, that would be too easy to spot for the opponent. I think the difference between a float chop and a heavy backspin chop is like with LPs the (absence of) use of the wrist.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 09:53 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:49
Posts: 180
Location: CT, USA
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 32 times
Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Hurricane 2 (black)
BH: TSP Curl P1r 1.0 (red)
Lorre wrote:
kaesees wrote:
I watched the video on the first page to see his technique and variation. Is the secret to varying SP chops that you take the ball "high" (about table level or a little above) and chop vertically with no wrist to generate float, and you take the ball lower (maybe knee height) and chop more under the ball and with more wrist to produce heavy backspin?


No, that would be too easy to spot for the opponent. I think the difference between a float chop and a heavy backspin chop is like with LPs the (absence of) use of the wrist.


Interesting to hear. I don't know if I was looking at that video of Hou practicing and seeing what I wanted to see; I originally got the notion of spin variation with pips based on chopping behind or under the ball from some commentary from Matthew Syed. Syed's comments were about long pips rather than short pips though, so to avoid derailing this thread with LP technique discussion I've done a quick writeup of what I'm talking about in a more appropriate thread.

_________________
Seeking joy and fitness in recreational modern defense.
My blog: "Two rubbers, one racket"
Kill the game against long Pimps with Coach Li!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2019, 17:16 
Offline
Iron Pips
Iron Pips
User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 22:07
Posts: 3952
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 413 times
Blade: Stiga Carbonado 90
FH: Galaxy Jupiter II 2,2 mm
BH: DMS Diabolic ES 1,2 mm
Anyone understands Chinese?
https://youtu.be/PMv2qFJXDZo

_________________
My blog: Def-attack's attempts to find balance between defence/attack | Serving techniques and strategy section


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 11:55 
Offline
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
User avatar

Joined: 22 Feb 2011, 23:22
Posts: 1450
Location: Brasil
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 339 times
Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
BH Still Spectrol
FH DIanchi
Image
Image

_________________
Victas Koji Matsushita
Thibar Hybrid k1 euro max
TSP Curl p1-r 1.0


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 19:47 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3887
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1024 times
Been thanked: 543 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?
manofan wrote:
BH Still Spectrol
FH DIanchi
Image
Image


Wow. Thanks for the info!

Dianchi has only one rubber, namelu Dianchi. Never heard of it. Also probably a special sponge for Spectol?

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 22:12 
Online
Super User

Joined: 13 Nov 2018, 03:27
Posts: 434
Location: FL, USA
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 67 times
Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper
BH: DMS Firestorm Soft 1.8 mm
Lorre wrote:
Dianchi has only one rubber, namelu Dianchi. Never heard of it.

Yeah, I'm very curious why he chose this specific rubber, from all the options available.

This seems to be the only offering of Dianchi on ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32787357485.html
"with sponge like NEO NATIONAL hurricane 3"
From the pictures, the rubber seems to be heavily boosted. Wonder what advantages Dianchi has over other rubbers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2019, 23:48 
Online
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32468
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 1968 times
Been thanked: 1282 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Amazing that he can win the China National Table Tennis Championships at age 39!


_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 20:02 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3887
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 1024 times
Been thanked: 543 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: ?
Wasn't posted. The SF of Hou's run:


_________________
There's always stuff to improve!

My blog on transitioning from a LP to a SP defender


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 21:14 
Online
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 32468
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 1968 times
Been thanked: 1282 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
It's interesting to see that not only does he chop with the pimples, also a large portion of his (FH)attacks are with the pimples.
He seems to get an amazing amount of spin with the pimples... impressive as Spectol is not that spinny.

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2019, 23:26 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Apr 2014, 03:36
Posts: 415
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 31 times
What version of spectol is it likely to be? Can anyone give me a link to the version he most likely uses? I have a youngster who plays with short pips and I'd like to get him to try this rubber!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 00:40 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 08:26
Posts: 201
Location: USA
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Pure Wood
FH: Stiga Genesis M 2.0mm
BH: Spectol 21 - 1.8mm
I have tried all the version of Spectol (normal, speed and 21 sponge).
Spectol 21 sponge in 1.7-1.9mm is the most spinny in my opinion.
The softer sponge of 21 (30 deg) makes the contact of the ball in the topsheet longer.

_________________
Tibhar Samsonov Pure Wood (OFF-) / Stiga Genesis M / Spectol 21 1.8mm

Before Modern Defense (in black playing a 2100+ player:https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2019, 00:41 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 14 Dec 2013, 08:26
Posts: 201
Location: USA
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 49 times
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Pure Wood
FH: Stiga Genesis M 2.0mm
BH: Spectol 21 - 1.8mm
haggisv wrote:
It's interesting to see that not only does he chop with the pimples, also a large portion of his (FH)attacks are with the pimples.


Huh??
Hou doesn't twiddle.

_________________
Tibhar Samsonov Pure Wood (OFF-) / Stiga Genesis M / Spectol 21 1.8mm

Before Modern Defense (in black playing a 2100+ player:https://youtu.be/if__7emBFqA


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group