OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 16:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Richard Hicks USA
Style: shakehander, long pips, chopper/pick hitter
Blade: Brendling custom blade (fast, thick, balsa)
FH: Unknown Chinese Inverted
BH: Yasaka Phantom 007 ox

Notes: 70+ years old, rated 2112, expert twiddler.

The ones below you have to download:
http://outpost81.com/nationals08/Chong_ ... 0Final.wmv
http://outpost81.com/nationals08/Chong_ ... Final2.wmv
http://outpost81.com/nationals08/Chong_ ... Final3.wmv
http://outpost81.com/nationals08/Chong_ ... Final4.wmv

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2011, 17:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
He moves well... can't beleive he's 70+!!!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 00:14 

Watched him play at the america team tourney a couple weeks ago. Absolutly fun to watch. He moves so easy, never reacts bad always seems to be in the right place. Watching him play a bunch of 2400+ players was interesting to see just what a "old" slow non looper can really do. Videos of him at that tournament are on utube. Just remember it may not lool lile he's doing much but watched many of his opponets shots go long, short, left, or right. Has to be hard to watch him and think o this will be easy and then walk away with your hed down after lossing.

Tri-carbon HAMMER

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:02 
Super User

Blade: TT Piet Homemade 6 ply
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X
anti Don wrote:
Watched him play at the america team tourney a couple weeks ago. Absolutly fun to watch. He moves so easy, never reacts bad always seems to be in the right place. Watching him play a bunch of 2400+ players was interesting to see just what a "old" slow non looper can really do. Videos of him at that tournament are on utube. Just remember it may not lool lile he's doing much but watched many of his opponets shots go long, short, left, or right. Has to be hard to watch him and think o this will be easy and then walk away with your hed down after lossing.

A real good player I know said I should watch Richard Hicks play and see if I can play with a similar style. I watched the match against Spencer. He seems to do well both chopping and hitting from the FH inverted He also seems to be able to chop without playing way back the whole time. It was also interesting when he twiddled and hit with the long pips on FH. Spencer had trouble with that a couple times. I can see why I was suggested to try to emulate his style, as there are a lot of similarities with how I play, anyway.

Does anyone know what model/speed/type of wood the blade he plays with is and what he has on the FH for rubber and sponge? I don't try to chop from FH up that close like that with my setup.

And if anyone knows where more video of him playing is located, let me know, please.

Blade: TTPiet OFF-/ALL custom
FH: Spinlord Waran Short Pips
BH: Joola Badman Reloaded 0X

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 08:38 

Hello All,

I have known Richard Hicks since the mid-1960's. For more than 20 years he was always ranked around #10 in the US back in the days when we had yearly rankings. When I was growing up in Florida, Richard would often travel to tournaments in the South and more often than not, win them. Richard has won so many US Nationals and US Open Titles in various age groups and doubles that I doubt anyone could count them all. He moves very well even now when he is in his 70's. He is an excellent role model to watch for a chopper as he not only has great footwork but also great balance.

Coach McAfee

Joola Badman OX
Joola Ultra Express 2.0