OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 13:05 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
not with LP's she cant...

usually when Ding Ning hit it long, the shot before she had done something different then the previous shots resulting in a spin change

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 13:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've just watched the whole match. Yes, the commentators DID say she uses LPs on her bh (at the minute 23:34 mark and again at 30:22), and that she's the Chinese clone of Korean chopper Kim Kyung-Ah numerous times. She really does a decent job of imitating Kim's chopping techniques!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 22:45 
Super User

Hu's grip is more bh oriented, Kim's more fh...

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2013, 23:03 
Super User

Thank you round robin for confirming that she has LP on the BH , not all of us frictionless LP . You can change the amount of spin you put on lp

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 02:19 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Chopper88 wrote:
You can change the amount of spin you put on lp

how?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 06:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

WifWafWon wrote:
Chopper88 wrote:
You can change the amount of spin you put on lp

how?

The range of possible spin change when chopping with LPs is much smaller than when using SPs, but still very doable. You can "fully" chop a loop pretty hard with maximum contact (only when you are at least 8-10 feet away from the table though), and you can also "catch" the incoming loop like a baseball mitt then gently "glide" it back out. Both techniques are the same as when you chop with SPs. The key is to make both motions look nearly identical. This change of spin is particularly effective (even with LPs) against opponents who put a lot of spin on their loops.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 20:47 

WifWafWon wrote:
If it's LPs, why on earth did Ding Ning have so many problems reading the spin? She hit countless balls off the end of the table.

Part of that may have to do with the venue.

The competition was held in Ordos city, whose average elevation is over 1300m. This has a detrimental effect on the trajectory as Magnus effect and drag are reduced by around 14% when compared to playing at sea level. Shots tend to bounce higher, slow down less, curve not as much, and travel farther. All things considered, choppers seem to suffer less than loopers. A quick check of past competitions held at high altitude reveals that Wang Liqin lost to Hou Yingchao against whom he had an overwhelming record in an away game of the CTTSL in 2004 in Yinchuan(~1200m), Jorg Rosskopf, who has a very good record against choppers, lost to Evgueni Chtchetinine in the teams event at the ETTC 2003 held in Courmayeur of Italy(~1200m) but later avenged defeat in the singles' quarterfinal(personal best for Chtchetinine). In addition to that, Chtchetinine claimed the doubles title with Chen Weixing. Chen Weixing also paired up with Viktoria Pavlovich and came in second in mixed doubles.

= 184.8g

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 21:03 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

roundrobin wrote:
The range of possible spin change when chopping with LPs is much smaller than when using SPs, but still very doable. You can "fully" chop a loop pretty hard with maximum contact (only when you are at least 8-10 feet away from the table though), and you can also "catch" the incoming loop like a baseball mitt then gently "glide" it back out. Both techniques are the same as when you chop with SPs. The key is to make both motions look nearly identical. This change of spin is particularly effective (even with LPs) against opponents who put a lot of spin on their loops.

Hrm, interesting. I was always taught that LPs couldn't change the amount of spin on the ball in those situations - but maybe there was a word missing, i.e. "significantly".

Would the noise of the contact not change fairly significantly between the "glide" shot that you describe and a proper chopping/brushing stroke?

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 23:13 
Super User

WifWafWon wrote:
roundrobin wrote:

Hrm, interesting. I was always taught that LPs couldn't change the amount of spin on the ball in those situations - but maybe there was a word missing, i.e. "significantly".

Would the noise of the contact not change fairly significantly between the "glide" shot that you describe and a proper chopping/brushing stroke?

Wif, try chopping the ball hard like stright down and then chopping the ball more going forward on a incoming loop, then you can see the spin difference

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 23:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

zeio wrote:
WifWafWon wrote:
If it's LPs, why on earth did Ding Ning have so many problems reading the spin? She hit countless balls off the end of the table.

Part of that may have to do with the venue.

The competition was held in Ordos city, whose average elevation is over 1300m. This has a detrimental effect on the trajectory as Magnus effect and drag are reduced by around 14% when compared to playing at sea level. Shots tend to bounce higher, slow down less, curve not as much, and travel farther. All things considered, choppers seem to suffer less than loopers. A quick check of past competitions held at high altitude reveals that Wang Liqin lost to Hou Yingchao against whom he had an overwhelming record in an away game of the CTTSL in 2004 in Yinchuan(~1200m), Jorg Rosskopf, who has a very good record against choppers, lost to Evgueni Chtchetinine in the teams event at the ETTC 2003 held in Courmayeur of Italy(~1200m) but later avenged defeat in the singles' quarterfinal(personal best for Chtchetinine). In addition to that, Chtchetinine claimed the doubles title with Chen Weixing. Chen Weixing also paired up with Viktoria Pavlovich and came in second in mixed doubles.

Excellent thinking and research! :up:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2013, 23:21 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Chopper88 wrote:
Wif, try chopping the ball hard like stright down and then chopping the ball more going forward on a incoming loop, then you can see the spin difference

yeah, I can, but I use SPs :lol: I do have access to some LPs, I'll have to give it a go

do you have any videos of top players changing the spin with LPs?

also, as I asked earlier, does it not sound entirely different?

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 00:08 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
So we might organize a WTTC at greater height to lower the chances of the Chinese players... Are you reading this, adham or igorponger? :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2013, 01:13 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
I Live in a city that the elevation is 1200m above sea, and i found a lot more dificult to chop in these conditions.
When i play in places like 600m or lower , i play a lot better....

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!