OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 22:27 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
dunc wrote:
Shiono's defending was getting really consistent and classy in the last 3 or 4 ends of that game.

On the other hand, I counted 2 points in the entire highlights clip which he won with his forehand loop. It just seems really quite... feeble, without trying to be too harsh. He attacked a few times with it and Lorentz had no difficulty at all blocking it, often for direct winners.

His counter-loop is inconsistent too, I think he should focus on primarily chopping from that side (with the odd fishing stroke to mix things up), then look to attack pushes with a slow, spinny loop.

Joo can change the pace of the game by suddenly becoming a ferocious one-wing attacker. Shiono hasn't got that element to his game at all, and for me, that's the difference.

Yeah, FH is not dangerous enough. Muramatsu seem to have same kind of problem with FH.

Shionos fishing shots are not dangerous enough either, compared to Hou or Gionis.

Maybe new balls reduced backspin is hurting too, as Shionos and Muramatsus BH chopping didn't give much problems to opponents to induce easy mistakes.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 22:34 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
dunc wrote:
Shiono's defending was getting really consistent and classy in the last 3 or 4 ends of that game.

On the other hand, I counted 2 points in the entire highlights clip which he won with his forehand loop. It just seems really quite... feeble, without trying to be too harsh. He attacked a few times with it and Lorentz had no difficulty at all blocking it, often for direct winners.

His counter-loop is inconsistent too, I think he should focus on primarily chopping from that side (with the odd fishing stroke to mix things up), then look to attack pushes with a slow, spinny loop.

Joo can change the pace of the game by suddenly becoming a ferocious one-wing attacker. Shiono hasn't got that element to his game at all, and for me, that's the difference.

Yeah, I think he's lost some forehand venom as of this year. His FH loop was quite good a year or two ago if you watch his 2014 and 2013 videos. I guess even pros suffer from the same ups and downs us mortals do. ;)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 22:42 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Roy wrote:
Yeah, FH is not dangerous enough. Muramatsu seem to have same kind of problem with FH.

Shionos fishing shots are not dangerous enough either, compared to Hou or Gionis.

Agreed, both Filus and Gionis have some pretty dangerious fishing or guiding shots that are quite difficult to deal with. Filus has the addition of a hella-good backhand when he twiddles.

Roy wrote:
Maybe new balls reduced backspin is hurting too, as Shionos and Muramatsus BH chopping didn't give much problems to opponents to induce easy mistakes.

Could this be the problem with extremely grippy pips; Curl P-4 and the even grippier Super Spin Pips Chop SP? The spin is more limited to the racket speed of the chopper and doesn't necessarily increase the spin on the topspin being given by the looper.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 00:45 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
i think there can be few reasons
for sure one of them is plastic ball (less spin and speed)
i play with the same blade as shiono which is quite slow with T05 max
the difference in speed is big between plastic and celluloid even i have noticed it
i tested it with same players (some matches with cullu and some matches with plastic with same opponents)
with plastic i just couldnt finish any point with fh loop, all where easly blocked (with cellu ball they couldnt block, ball was too fast for them)
another thing is spin, with plastics spin is lower, easier to lift for attacker

solution for masato:
he should change to faster blade
and be more aggresive with fh

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 01:05 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Joo is managing perfectly well with the new ball when playing his forehand.

It's not just the spin or speed, it's the placement - and choosing the right ball. Shiono was often out of position deep into his backhand trying to take the initiative and play a winning forehand... but either his loop was poorly placed or he chose the wrong ball to attack.

Joo's slow spinny loop against pushes doesn't often win him points outright but it gives him a pop-up to slap past his opponent.

Joo's attacking placement/timing is one of his most underrated skills, he's excellent at making it hard for his opponent to return. He either changes the pace completely and picks the "right" ball to attack, or he places the ball where his opponent struggles to return it - or both :) It's not just his speed/spin.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 02:44 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Agree with Shionos choice of when to attack with his forehand. He actually has a Nasty counter loop when his opponent are being too cautious against his chops. But I don't belive this is Shionos main problem.

First....no pro attacker has problems with backspin generated by long pips. Period. Even against Joo the good attackers rarely lose more then 2 points off his long pips unless it is a weird ball.

The big problem is the placement of his chops. They are no where near deep enough! I count 3 that land near the end line and the rest land somewhere in the mid zone. This is horrible! Gives the attacker far too much ability to choose the angle and makes their loop kick higher off the Table pushing the chopper further back. This is chopping 101....

Now THIS could be a plastic ball prob...have it slowing down to much....but he will adjust and hopefully see his game jump even more!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 05:47 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
WOW alex are you still alive? hahah
Good to see you here again...

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 08:51 
Super User

I agree a lot to many things you all said...
I don't know if it's the plastic ball or what else, but i noticed in the last 2 years Shiono's game lost quality in general. Apart from the FH attack which has always been quite unconsistent and not too powerfull (for that level), i notice the defence is always very high and sometimes short, he plays a very passive game, clearly trying to do variations that doesn't seem to have that much effect, whereas before it was a bit more usual to see him chop down the opponent to the net, or over the end of the table... He's always consistent, but he seems not to put the opponent under pressure as he did before.

But most important, i think he has a bit of a mental weakness (if you can call it this way), he loses many close matches (5th or 7th game) and in many matches you can see the difference between the "good focus periods" and the "bad ones", for example it's no coincidence this is at least the 4th time i can remember him recovering from 0-3 (matsudaira, Japan 2013 - Gao Ning, Grand Finals - Kim Min Seok, grand finals...). I guess his game is not only physically but also mentally very demanding, he needs to fight for every point, because he doesn't get many easy mistakes and doesn't take so many points right away from serves and 3rd ball attack. If he can put the opponent under pressure from the start with a good game, the guy will need to increase rithm and level and Shiono will get more mistakes, but if the opponent gets the right confidence, the match becomes long and difficult.

I'm thinking it just might be that right now this is "the usal way he is", whereas maybe 2013 was the year he could find good motivation, mental strenght and physical peak that allowed him (together with "finding the right opponents") to be a step foreward than his usual game. Moreover, at that time none outside Japan knew him, but right now he's quite famous and people understood how to face him (as most japanese players seem to be able to, since he often looses to people outside the national team when he plays "at home"), not to mention the different position he's now: that time he had nothing to lose and a great desire to succeed, now he's of course under pressure, willing to keep his good results, this is totally different...
Of course, i hope these my last thoughts are wrong and that he can get other important achievements in the future

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 18:51 

Maybe the opponents know his game better now.

Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2015, 21:41 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
It's not mentioned in previous posts, but is changing his equipment also not another reason he's having difficulties ATM? His intial LP, P4, was a razor for attacking players and his attacking capabilities were quite good. Then he went to Donic and it all started to fall apart.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 00:43 
Super User

Lorre wrote:
It's not mentioned in previous posts, but is changing his equipment also not another reason he's having difficulties ATM? His intial LP, P4, was a razor for attacking players and his attacking capabilities were quite good. Then he went to Donic and it all started to fall apart.

I don't know, he switched blade and FH a long ago and he got good results right away... i dont' think at that level 2 similar pimples like those can make all that difference, and above all i think a pro wouldn't ever use something just for the sponsor's wish... i mean, he wouldnt use the racket he's using right now if he didn't think it's good for his game.

BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.5 (black)

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2015, 07:23 

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 02:17 

Shiono did win 2 matches and is in the main draw.
He will face Jung Youngsik From KOREA...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 05:31 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
manofan wrote:
Shiono did win 2 matches and is in the main draw.
He will face Jung Youngsik From KOREA...

That will not be easy. Jung beat Joo a month ago...

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2015, 19:56 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
and he lost 2:4 (winning 2:0) :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 31  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!