OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 16:26 
Super User

Wang Yin (王茵) Chinese amateur, AKA Western Poison (西毒)
Style: Penholder, long pips attack/block twiddler
Blade: Sword Strange King (怪拍王), has slightly slower side: http://s.taobao.com/search?q=%C6%B9%C5% ... D%F5%D2%F0
FH: Sword Scylla, or Anti depending on opponent
BH: Short or raw pips, or Haifu inverted, that's some crazy EJing

A life-long amateur enthusiast & good buddy of fellow Beijing LP legend Wang Jian Jiang. But more of a "solid" attacker/blocker with good footwork than a "tricky" defensive LP player. For equipment he would prep different rackets beforehand, like one LP/raw for certain opponents, another anti/SP against maybe loopers, so it's difficult to practice for him.

Championships & awards: a medley of Beijing/domestic amateur tourneys but also the ITTF World Veteran Champs whenever he's bothered going (at least twice that I can find results for). The year it was held in China he won over WJJ in the 60+ finals, and as if to give inverted topspinners a heart attack they teamed up to take the doubles event. Dubbed "Elvis" by awe-struck foreign competitors.

Unfortunately I can't find any games against wide-eyed loopers.

At 15th veteran championships, semi-final against guy with mad chops:

Against another PH twiddler with interesting tomahawk serve:

When opponent asks for advice at end, WY recommends multi-ball of basics like chopblock-then-attack, or "suck"(absorbing-block)-block-attack

Same opponent talk equipment and tactics:

Notes (terrible audio so missing some): attack weak returns with LPs, for strong return twiddle or chopblock (downward with all your might) fast & long. His strength lies in continuous/repeat attack, compared to friend WJJ's greater mastery of defense & serves. Everyone has their own LP style and his is twiddling between contrasting rubbers to confuse opponent to create attacking opportunities. LP is "passive" and can't be relied on for whole game, and offense is the best defense; LP is ineffective here away from table. LP basic philosophy is simple, brush against topspins and attack against backspin. Against topspin brush early. His style is good for former attackers, but everyone can seek their own way.

Short set filmed with potato:

He has his own instructional vid (for Sword), though I didn't find it as illuminating as WJJ's:

Now for some fun a variety show where, no joke, Wang Yin and WJJ challenge Liu Guiliang and Kim Taek Soo to a doubles match with the CNT & a few surprise guests in attendance:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 17:02 
Super User

Haven't watched any videos yet, but looks very promising. Shall enjoy later and thanks in advance for posting :up:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 17:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks agenthex :up:

"Western Poison"??? Where did that come from?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2014, 19:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

This one?

Every time I follow your TaoBao links I come across realy intriguing stuff. What are these????

http://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=396 ... 7.6.ENQr7s

The ball on the right:

Is what the old seamed Champion balls I played with when I was in school looked like. That seam was a real SEAM. If I recall correctly, they also were number 101. If I'd seen this ad back in the 1960s it would've seemed more time-appropriate.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 03:52 
Super User

> "Western Poison"??? Where did that come from?

Chinese folks traditionally gave legendary figures (like oft-fictitious martial artists in the ye old chinese equivalent of superhero comics) nicknames as form of endearment.

Wang Yin is "Western Poison" / "Poison from the West" (it's allegorical so depends on how you interpret it)
Wang Chun Fu is 北怪, "Northern Oddity" / "Disturbance from North": viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26746
Wang Jian Jiang is 东邪, "Eastern Evil" / "Devil of the East": viewtopic.php?p=283742#p283742
Wang Bo (王波) is 南帝, "Southern Diety" / "Emperor of the South"

Some of these guys must've had nicks beforehand so not sure how it got massaged into poetic 4 winds of the apocalypse. Speaking of martial arts sometimes the commentator for kicks would name their signature strokes like "white dragon claw".

> This one?

Yeah, it's got his pic printed on it. :)

> Every time I follow your TaoBao links I come across realy intriguing stuff. What are these????

It's a gross of training/robot balls for amateurs, supposedly made by DHS. Butterfly brand of shanghai not the Butterfly we know.

edit:

Upon further examination, most of the names above are from a specific martial arts (ie superhero) novel. Probably a famous one, I'm too illiterate to tell.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 13:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

So I suppose "Wang" (the one with the character with the three horizontal bars) means "Emperor?

Sort of a silly aside. There's this hair care product on the local supermarket shelves called "Bawang". It's got Jackie Chan's face on the box:

There were rumors some time back that it was carcinogenic, but it's still on the shelves.

Anyhow, the funny part about it was "bawang" means "onion" in Malay. I was doing some fieldwork on a beach some years back with some students and came across a flattened "Bawang" bottle - since most of the writing was in Chinese I had no idea what it was, and asked three Chinese girls who were among the students about it.They said you put it in your hair. I then wanted to know why people would put onion in their hair, and they told me it "meant something else in Chinese". (I thought it was some sort of local patent medicine.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 13:43 
Super User

> So I suppose "Wang" (the one with the character with the three horizontal bars) means "Emperor?

I presume you mean this line:
> Wang Bo (王波) is 南帝, "Southern Diety" / "Emperor of the South"

Wang Bo (王波) is his name. The "emperor/deity" refers to 帝, and 南 is south.

王 is literally "king", but "emperor" proper is 皇帝 (note the little "王" in bottom of the first character followed by our deity-ish character above). There's no real reason for any of this and I can see how that's confusing.

To add to it: 王, 皇, and WJJ's surname 黃, plus many other characters are romanized the same "Wang" if without accents.

Chinese is basically impossible to learn:
http://pinyin.info/readings/texts/moser.html
Long but worth reading for those interested in chinese, but don't let it entirely discourage you because it's exaggerate for effect... a little bit. :)

But it's true english is like language on easy mode in comparison, and I've been told many languages don't even have literary prose distinct from rhetoric and just get written as they're spoken. I have no idea how chinese people do it; maybe that's where they get their discipline for studying.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 16:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If I recall correctly, I was told (later, by someone else) that the "Bawang" on the shampoo bottle translates as "Warlord". Not quite "Onion"... ;)

So "Wang Bo" (the name) translates to "King" of something, I suppose.. Though having "King" as a surname shouldn't be unusual, I recall a certain Larry who was on TV all the time... ;)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2014, 16:32 
Super User

霸王 means "tyrannical king" so I guess they really want to emphasize this is the strong stuff.