OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2019, 18:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
SuperHappyFunSlider wrote:
Video, or Interview? :-)

Would you stop teasing! :@ :swear: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously either would be awesome...interview is probably a lot easier. ;)

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2019, 06:49 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Koki niwa chop blocks from left to right and ma long goes from right to left. So I think that is a common route to take, and would work equally as well with the pips

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 08:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm not sure why she does both - I will ask when I see her next for sure! As a left hander, she was coaching me to go from left to right (which is opposite what you're used to) so I'll get her explanation and pass it on.

Video, or Interview? :-)

Is there still a chance of this happening?

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 13:34 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

Yes!

She's just been having a break from training, but I'll be seeing her this weekend so setting up a time.

She already has a youtube channel apparently - but all in Korean :rofl:

Also, she explained to me loosely why she goes either left or right - it's effectively to counter the sidespin. Her main goal with the side swipe that she does is to make the ball drop as early as possible. she describes it as if the ball is kicking with pace away from the body (as a right hander) she swipes away from the body and if you watch the videos almost tilts the head of her bat forward (to come around). Vice versa - she will side swipe "towards" the body when it's kicking or moving at her, to keep it as short as possible.

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 14:37 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes!

She's just been having a break from training, but I'll be seeing her this weekend so setting up a time.

She already has a youtube channel apparently - but all in Korean :rofl:

Also, she explained to me loosely why she goes either left or right - it's effectively to counter the sidespin. Her main goal with the side swipe that she does is to make the ball drop as early as possible. she describes it as if the ball is kicking with pace away from the body (as a right hander) she swipes away from the body and if you watch the videos almost tilts the head of her bat forward (to come around). Vice versa - she will side swipe "towards" the body when it's kicking or moving at her, to keep it as short as possible.

Awesome!

So basically the direction of the bat goes with the spin, right?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 07:23 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

That’s my understanding yes - it’s a high level technique but comes down to countering the direction with a brush of the pips.

QLD open today - it might be streamed so I’ll let you know if she’s up and playing!

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2019, 22:14 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I would be very interested in a an instructional! I can do a chop block straight down, but have never managed to do the diagonal version with any consistency.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2019, 03:16 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
This is a shot I've actually been doing quite a lot lately, and it's effective. I found that with the ABS ball (particularly the awful Joola ABS ball that is particularly reactive to sidespin), when I'd do a straight chop-block (or passive block) against some opponents whose loop had more side-action to it, the ball would go off the edge of the paddle moreso than it did in the era of the celluloid ball. So, without realizing (until I came upon this thread) that it was a tactic some pros used, I started reflexively going down and to my right and slightly back against some forehand topspin shots, and I found that not only did that result in eliminating the error I was trying to counteract but also resulted in more dampening and a nasty flight path, where the ball often stayed very low and spun off my opponent's right and down on the return. So I started making it a more regular part of my game. It's actually quite easy, especially for anyone who already has the chopblock down. So if you're responding to a right-hander's forehand loop, take the ball right off the bounce, like on all long pips blocks, and with most OX rubbers, keep the paddle 90 degrees to the table, just like you would on a passive block. But on contact, use your forearm (not wrist, at least not until you feel more confident with this shot) to withdraw the paddle a bit to the right and (especially on strong loops) very slightly back towards you (if the loop is very weak, you can be more more aggressive and go side and forward).

Yesterday when I was playing a left-handed forehand looper, I instinctively started going the other way (to my left and down). It's a bit less intuitive for me, but it works just as well. I need to practice that shot more. It should also work against right-handed backhand loops, of course.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX