OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 03:04 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Joachim, I really enjoy watching the clips of Jane playing. Do you know if there is video of any full sets or matches of hers anywhere on the net?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 08:37 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Joachim, I really enjoy watching the clips of Jane playing. Do you know if there is video of any full sets or matches of hers anywhere on the net?

No, till now, there is nothing on the net.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 15:56 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Joachim, I have a question about the @kkadi L2. Should you perform the kick against heavy underspin or is an aggressive push better? For me the kick seems a lot easier against balls with lesser spin.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2010, 19:25 

Can anyone explain what is "kick"? Is it a rolling action or topspin action?

thanks

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 00:46 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Yes, it's a roll. You can see it demonstrated in the first video in this thread and top coach Joachim Voigt further describes the shot a few posts before this.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 07:27 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Joachim, I have a question about the @kkadi L2. Should you perform the kick against heavy underspin or is an aggressive push better? For me the kick seems a lot easier against balls with lesser spin.

The aggressive push is one option, the kick another. Against balls with "no" spin the kick is the best option. You can play it and have good control about this ball which is generally difficult for long pimples. Against heavy underspin you also can play a kick. The problem in this case is:
- if you play it to high, the opponent can attack very good
- if you are to slow with your arm and wrist you will not manage to play the ball on the table
So you need to play a aggressive (fast) kick with good lengths and speed. Then it´s a very good option because it´s difficult to block and also to attack.
If you want to practise against heavy underspin, take care that:
- your blade is (a little bit) closed
- you hit the ball north and tangential
- with fast arm and very, very fast wrist
- the movement is more to the top then to the front
That should work. Very often players are frightend to hit the ball fast. In this case it is very important to hit it fast.
The decision push or kick:
- if the opponent is good against pimples and attacks your pushes => use kick, he will normally get more troubles
- if the opponent has problems with the push or blocks it only passiv => the push is the easier and safer opportunity, keep going (maybe use the kick sometimes, that he get´s not to comfortable with your pushes)

Generally: the kick is a stroke for every ball, it gives the pimple-player more control over the game and put´s more pressure to the opponents, on the other side it is more difficult. But it opens possibilities to players with long pimples to win matches against players, that normally have good control against long pimples. It completes your playing style and makes you more regardless of your opponent.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 12:54 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Thank you for the detailed response. I'll have to work on the kick against heavy underspin. By the way, I just got a Waldner Carbon Senso with @kkadi L2 (0.6) and Sonex JP Gold (2.0) -- and must say this combination harmonizes very well. The entire racket weighs 137 grams and is perfectly balanced. This is a terrific setup for players who stay at the table. Sideswipes also work well.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 00:37 

mynamenotbob wrote:
Thank you for the detailed response.

You are welcome.

mynamenotbob wrote:
By the way, I just got a Waldner Carbon Senso with @kkadi L2 (0.6) and Sonex JP Gold (2.0) -- and must say this combination harmonizes very well. The entire racket weighs 137 grams and is perfectly balanced. This is a terrific setup for players who stay at the table. Sideswipes also work well.

8) ;) :up:
It´s a secret. Don´t tell to much players. Because no one tries this combination. :rock: ;) :D

Good luck practising and emproving...

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 21:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the great advice Joachim, and a big welcome to the forum from me as well! I can't beleive I miseed this thread up to now! :oops:

I have 2 questions as well, if you don't mind?

1. The kick seems to be performed mainly against slower balls... when facing a good powerloopers, is the block the main option? The small downwards action would have to be very fast to keep the ball down, wouldn't it?

2. When facing good loopers, would you advice Jane try to cover most of the table with her backhand, or would you advice a more balanced game, where the decision on whether to play bachhand or fore depends on the ball and player postion?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 22:42 

haggisv wrote:
I have 2 questions as well, if you don't mind?

1. The kick seems to be performed mainly against slower balls... when facing a good powerloopers, is the block the main option? The small downwards action would have to be very fast to keep the ball down, wouldn't it?

You can play the kick against loops also. It´s not so easy but possible and a good option especially against slow loops.
I think I do not understand completly what you mean with: "The small downwards action would have to be very fast to keep the ball down, wouldn't it?" You mean the block? it depends on the coming ball. You have three options to block with pimples (a little depending on type of pimples - but only a little): with backspins (moving downwards), passive/straight (no move or move forward or (to make the ball slower and shorter) backwards, where you get something around "no spin" and with a type of kick (going over the ball) where you produce topspin. The passive/straight option is dificult, especially against balls with high speed. The backspin action is dificult against balls with low speed and the kick is dificult if you have a bad position to the ball.

haggisv wrote:
2. When facing good loopers, would you advice Jane try to cover most of the table with her backhand, or would you advice a more balanced game, where the decision on whether to play bachhand or fore depends on the ball and player postion?

For Jane with her disability it´s not possible to play a forehand dominant style. It will always be about 60-70% backhand of the table. But if she wants to play on highest level, she needs to use the other 30% forehand. If she (on bad days she sometimes does) tries to play 99% backhand, it will be much to simple for the opponent.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 23:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thank you for the quick reply!

Yes I was referring to the 'downwards action' of the block. I seem to have the most trouble keeping fast loops on the table... I guess I'll have to focus more on adding the downward action to my stroke, as I usually try the passive stroke, but the angle to keep it on the table seems too critical.

Against slow balls I tend to try and use the backspin action more often as I have more time to add this movement... The balls tends to really grip on the rubber though for high spin balls.

Sounds like I'm making it hard for myself, be choosing a the more difficult stroke!

Thank you for the advice, I will try this in practice!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 07:11 

I´m looking for a report in Table Tennis Illustrated about Jane. Has anyone this and can make a scan for me? Would be really great.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 11:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I would love to help, but I don't get this magazine. Hopefully some other members here can help out!

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 11:12 

http://www.ittf.com/_front_Page/ittf_fu ... &Category=

some news.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 11:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow, very inspiring and a great effort!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next