OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 15:18 

We have shot a good slow motion Backhand Flick Demo!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 17:52 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

This is excellent - thanks for posting. I will have to try to learn this shot one day.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 18:05 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Its the only backhand shot I can do :0 lol only because Henzell showed me for about 5 seconds once and it stuck. Pretty hard to do with pips though !.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 21:12 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Foam, I wanna play this shot but I don't wanna do any practice to learn and groove it. What set-up should I use to achieve this goal? :o 8)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 21:50 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Carbonman. I am sure you can do this shot with either hand. It's almost as if this shot is a requirement for modern attack styles. I think the backhand flick is much more natural than the forehand flick. In fact I find that many players around here develop much weaker forehand flicks so serving short to the forehand is a quick way for me to get in a good loop hoping that the weak forehand flick comes into play.

I think with Zhang Jike becoming so popular lately many players are actually doing the backhand flick to cover most of the table. Good post. :up:

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 22:13 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

To be honest Teddy I have barely even attempted to play the shot but I really should try to work on it. Although I could probably do it so-so it's not as simple as just that. The footwork and timing the approach (if you go in to the FH side too early a long serve can kill you) has to be learnt and grooved. I have been receiving all FH for so long this wouldn't be easy for me. If I received BH I would have to get used to a different rhythm/pattern of play. Maybe next off season I will give it a try.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 00:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Great video. I wish there had been some examples or discussion of how to go to down the line in addition to going cross court.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 01:55 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Carbonman is totally old school fantastic. He's like the Swedish team from 1975. This wasn't the way they played back then.

Because I never used my backhand hardly at all, ever, other than receiving serve with a dodgy push in front of my body which is all I've ever done. I have no muscle memory there on the bh and can learn new strokes on the backhand really easy. I can't do this shot consistently good enough that I'd use it in matches because it's not something I'm practising but of everything I've learned new in the last few years this came the easiest to me. Like really abnormally easy, I can rip heaps of sidespin on them with inverted, enough to bend past someones blade and hit them in the guts with the ball. I was having a hit with some kids during one of their coaching sessions in another club one day when I had 1.5mm 802 :up: still got more curve than any of the kids were getting with their inverted he was really impressed since he can't hit it with bend himself. It's easy with soft sponges and super thin topsheets like Haifu shark II I reckon :up:

You want to see my inside out backhand OX pips flick from under the armpit from the forehand side of the table Carbonman :P it's even more awesome than a banana flick. It's totally dodgy. I invented it when I was using Dr evil OX and couldn't miss but now I can't stop and find myself doing it even with inverted lol although it always goes long with inverted :swear: .

Shark II remember Carbonman, it's good. no wibbly wobbly tensor feeling either :up: .

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 05:02 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
Van. We call the down the line version of the banana flick a strawberry flick. It's rare cause the wrist bends in a funny way and the palm of the hand is more up rather than to the side.

Zhang yining hardly ever flipped much like you carbonman. She would push to an uncomfortable place and attack the weak loop off the bounce most of the time. Not a bad strategy if you have quick hands and feet.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2014, 15:31 

Hi, I think you can start to practice with multi-ball first.
Then, ask your partner to give you a serve and you flick it. :) :) :)

carbonman wrote:
Foam, I wanna play this shot but I don't wanna do any practice to learn and groove it. What set-up should I use to achieve this goal? :o 8)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2014, 02:05 
Super User

Blade: Appelgren Allplay
FH: Mark V GPS 2.0
BH: Reflectoid 2.0
carbonman wrote:

Just use long pips, and you don't NEED to have actual technique, carbonman. *runs while he still can and hopes MNNB, Reb, or Rodderz can't catch him*

Seriously, though, this is like my favourite shot to return serves with. (Though I'm sure I don't play to as NEARLY as high of a standard as carbonman, though...I have a little room for error :lol: )

Advice to relative beginners who are trying this shot:

Once you groove into it, it's a GREAT way to get early pressure on a weak/long serve. One thing I note: my shot is VERY wristy; just a little elbow movement. "Pointing" the racket in the direction you want the ball to go in the follow-through helps with accuracy greatly.

Also, expect to lose a lot of points on this shot until you REALLY have it down.