OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2014, 13:13 

I'd like to offer something which may not have been discussed much on this forum. Here's a video I made a few years ago returning the wide angle serve from a left handed server to a right handed receiver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQVipQQgvoQ

Now that I look back at it, two issues come to mind.

1. Is it worth devoting any time to practice this? Although one rarely has an opportunity to make these kind of returns, I believe there may be indirect benefits. For example, I spent a couple of years secretly practicing the Ma Lin ghost serve (which apparently has been discovered on this forum) for the sole purpose of giving my table tennis friends a good laugh. However, my serves were as sharp as ever at the recent North American teams. Although I never attempted the ghost serve (and I kept my shirt on), I was able to get short side/chop serves from a high toss with many opponents misreading and dumping into the net.

2. I'm convinced that my footwork could be more efficient in this video. I should have taken an initial small quick step with my left foot followed by a lunge with my right foot rather than one huge step with my right foot.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2014, 04:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Heavyspin wrote:
I'd like to offer something which may not have been discussed much on this forum. Here's a video I made a few years ago returning the wide angle serve from a left handed server to a right handed receiver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQVipQQgvoQ

Now that I look back at it, two issues come to mind.

1. Is it worth devoting any time to practice this? Although one rarely has an opportunity to make these kind of returns, I believe there may be indirect benefits. For example, I spent a couple of years secretly practicing the Ma Lin ghost serve (which apparently has been discovered on this forum) for the sole purpose of giving my table tennis friends a good laugh. However, my serves were as sharp as ever at the recent North American teams. Although I never attempted the ghost serve (and I kept my shirt on), I was able to get short side/chop serves from a high toss with many opponents misreading and dumping into the net.

2. I'm convinced that my footwork could be more efficient in this video. I should have taken an initial small quick step with my left foot followed by a lunge with my right foot rather than one huge step with my right foot.

Heavyspin, welcome to the forum. :) You're the same heavyspin as on myTT, right?

Is it worth devoting any time? Yes, I think so. You might return the other guy's serve in this way once in a while (will not come back most of the time). It also learns you to be agressive in service return. And it teaches you to have touch for the ball.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2014, 01:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Your control against those high spin serves is quite good! Thanks for that video!

And that drill is one of many that are good for improving "response to incoming spin."

Thanks!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2015, 08:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Hello Larry
Welcome,
tOD

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2015, 13:30 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Lorre wrote:
Heavyspin, welcome to the forum. :) You're the same heavyspin as on myTT, right?

Haha, the odds of a Doppelganger Second Heavyspin TT player are NEGATIVE exponent haha. there is only ONE and only Genuine. Heavyspin should just seize my German screen name, since there is absolutely only ONE - the only Original in this TT world.

In fact, when I am in Boston TT club (not there so often) and I see Heavyspin come into the club, I holler attention in the building Elvis..Uhm.. HEAVYSPIN has entered the building !!!

(Ask him, I did that a couple weeks ago.)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter