OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 02:50 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

im the player with the mowhawk playing penhold.

fairly crapy game by me turned to playing defensively for some reason..

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 03:24 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Your game would improve if you learned to block instead of scoop, shovel and lift the balls. A good block is a strong point of a pen holder. You do not "block". Your blade is always tipped back and taking the balls to late. Your blade will be closed, not open on a good block. A good block is takeing the ball on the way up or at the top stealing time from the other guy. You are setting him up. In your ready position, you have the blade open preparing to push, lift, etc, instead of blocking or attacking. It will be a hard habit to break.

You did take some serves with heavy sidespin serves but he also took many points on your serve. Work on keeping them lower, serving from and to different places, keeping them low and double bounce or half long. :)

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 04:45 
Paddy's Paddler
Paddy's Paddler

cheers for the advise ill do my best to incorporate all that.

i do try and practice my serve as much as possible, but at the club where i play there are only 3 tables and about 20 members so getting a table for yourself is kinda tricky.

as for the side spin serves they arent that strong at the moment , so from the same position i do some side spin serves and then also serves like the pendulum except with as much spin to the side( like a chop except spin coming the right, so that when chopped back at me it hits off like a top spin serve , but to the side and not towards me. ill try and get video of the seves on monday just before my match:P)

reasons for playing defensively/safe is because the oponent seemed like an attacker/smasher to me so instantly m thinking " chop as much and as hard as possible and he will hit it into the net or over compensate and hit it over the table"

as a player im capable of playing as an attacking player but in this league there arent many players that will give you a decent warm up , a warm up that will actualy make you sweat, and make you move... ie the longer the game goes on the better i can play. around 2-3 hours is a decent warm up for me when pretty much every muscle is full of oxygen and i feel more energetic

Main: / secondary / LP
Blade: DHS Hurricane hao/ Blade- Hurricane Hao 2

FH: Skyline 3(Blue Sponge)/ FH- Nittaku H3 pro
BH: Omega Asia/ BH- Calibra Tour H

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 08:34 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

great hair cut, I wouldn't say you were defending really as you didn't have any rallys that went more than a few hits but I can understand that he was more aggressive. Your serve has alot of sidespin but a good opponent will firstly get rid of the sidespin part by aiming the other way, you also had no plan if your serve came back as you seem just to expect to win it outright so just be more prepared there.
If you pratice some more closed blocking like Hookshot suggested you won't be vulnrable to topspin serves to you backhand side .
Its great you posted the vid here, I would see if you can find a friend who can help you on the blocking part of you game

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!