OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 17:33 
A Beautiful Brain

Hi...There is a new video on Greg Letts's site (password gttp4) http://www.gregsttpages.com/videos/freevideos.html and it shows some defenders playing in the Australian Open ...it's about 34 mb...but the interesting thing is that there is a fair bit of bat twiddling going on...I use a free PC Video player called Media Player Classic, which is sort of unique (well its possibly unique with the several PC video players that I have) in that it allows frame by frame advance of the video...ie about 25 or so frames per second I guess...and the twiddle is done in a split second..
Anyway, the bat twiddling is obvious and very well done, by Greg Letts and Paul Pinkowich...I have not checked the others yet....
Regards,
fosss
Media player Classic link http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... lassic.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007, 10:31 
Super User

You should see the match between me and Paul - the amount of twiddling going on is something else! Doesn't make for a really entertaining video for the general public (lots of pushing, slow rolls etc) - but for any combination bat players it's pretty interesting to watch the tactics involved.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2007, 21:17 
A Beautiful Brain

Do you have a link to a video of that Greg??....Or do I have it already.....I have downloaded everything on your Pages that has been there recently!!!...lol
Thanks

fosss

DTopSpirit wrote:
You should see the match between me and Paul - the amount of twiddling going on is something else! Doesn't make for a really entertaining video for the general public (lots of pushing, slow rolls etc) - but for any combination bat players it's pretty interesting to watch the tactics involved.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007, 11:03 
Super User

Nope - haven't put it up on the website -didn't want Paul thinking I was gloating over the win (1 for me, about 5 for him!).

Give me some time, I might try to put it up today or tomorrow. As I said, it's not pretty, but it is interesting for all you long pip users out there.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007, 11:09 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
DTopSpirit wrote:
Nope - haven't put it up on the website -didn't want Paul thinking I was gloating over the win (1 for me, about 5 for him!).

Give me some time, I might try to put it up today or tomorrow. As I said, it's not pretty, but it is interesting for all you long pip users out there.

Greg

That would be great. I'm definitely interested because I sometimes struggle when playing another defender with pips. It'd be nice to see how you guys handle it.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007, 13:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
DTopSpirit wrote:

Greg

Good on you Greg! I'm sure Paul won't mind... it's for a worthy cause! We won't tell him it was you :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007, 16:58 
Super User

OK - I've put up the final game at http://www.gregsttpages.com/videos/freevideos.html

It's a 30MB download, compressed to 640x480.

Enjoy!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2007, 07:51 
A Beautiful Brain

Thanks for the Video...I have just seen that it is available on your site...
Oh, by the way Greg, I sent you an email (using your ttpages address) with a couple of questions if you have time please.

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2007, 08:15 
A Beautiful Brain

Just watched it...lol..
There is certainly some serious twiddling going on there...sometimes twice before the next shot!!
These days the size of the video is not a worry as far as downloading goes as it is down in quick smart time so any you want to upload is fine by me...I am an avid video watcher, and your videos are far superior in quality to anything else available on the net..the compression and resolution that you use is great... I play them on my plasma and they look great...the ball is always clearly visible (unlike You tube and Google videos)
I use Media Player Classic and that has a frame by frame advance...so I was able to see the twiddling happen in less than a blink of an eye...
It amazes me that you can keep track of what side you have up, and what sort of stroke to play.
It looks like you won the match, so congrats...things did not look too good earlier in the game!!!Never give up is the motto!!

fosss

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 16:31 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

fosssil wrote:
Just watched it...lol..
There is certainly some serious twiddling going on there...sometimes twice before the next shot!!
These days the size of the video is not a worry as far as downloading goes as it is down in quick smart time so any you want to upload is fine by me...I am an avid video watcher, and your videos are far superior in quality to anything else available on the net..the compression and resolution that you use is great... I play them on my plasma and they look great...the ball is always clearly visible (unlike You tube and Google videos)
I use Media Player Classic and that has a frame by frame advance...so I was able to see the twiddling happen in less than a blink of an eye...
It amazes me that you can keep track of what side you have up, and what sort of stroke to play.
It looks like you won the match, so congrats...things did not look too good earlier in the game!!!Never give up is the motto!!

fosss

I enjoyed watching too, but one thing i think i noticed was that there were no or did not appear to be any apologies for nets etc............, is this normal at this level or was it a grudge match or am i just too wet behind the ears? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 18:54 
Super User

Hey dTop - a great game to watch. I really love the probing that goes on - each biding his time waiting for that shot to attack with speed. A lot of them come back though - I guess that often those faster shots themselves amount to probing as well.

The twiddling seems to be a bit of a trick. I can only do it really slowly. I note Fossil's comments about 'a blink of an eye'. Here's a challenge - can you think of a way to demonstrate the twiddle in close up? Given expense of high frame rate cameras, maybe you would have to do the twiddle itself in slow motion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 09:32 
Super User

mozzy wrote:
I enjoyed watching too, but one thing i think i noticed was that there were no or did not appear to be any apologies for nets etc............, is this normal at this level or was it a grudge match or am i just too wet behind the ears? :?

I will usually apologize for nets and edges if I get them and win the point because of them. If it happens during a rally and the opponent gets it back and the rally continues on even footing, I don't bother generally.

I know I got a couple of nets against Paul during this match, but I was pretty sure I apologized each time - although you might not be able to hear it over Paul's groans!!

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 09:38 
Super User

andrefox wrote:
The twiddling seems to be a bit of a trick. I can only do it really slowly. I note Fossil's comments about 'a blink of an eye'. Here's a challenge - can you think of a way to demonstrate the twiddle in close up? Given expense of high frame rate cameras, maybe you would have to do the twiddle itself in slow motion.

I guess I could probably video myself twiddling the bat - it would be pretty blurry though! Maybe a series of set photos might be better. Basically for me it's a quick pointing of the index finger to get it out of the way, while the bottom 3 fingers and wrist flip the racket around. My thumb just dips enough to get under the bottom of the racket head as it turns around, and then comes back into position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 17:35 
Super User

DTopSpirit wrote:
Basically for me it's a quick pointing of the index finger to get it out of the way, while the bottom 3 fingers and wrist flip the racket around. My thumb just dips enough to get under the bottom of the racket head as it turns around, and then comes back into position.

I'll give that a go as you describe. I think I've been using my index finger to flick the bat into rotation - but this is much too clunky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007, 01:26 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
andrefox wrote:

It's really not that hard, you just need to practice it a lot until it becomes second nature. If you have a bat you don't mind dropping a few times, I would suggest carrying it around the house and practicing that way. Eventually you won' even realize your doing it. That is when you'll be able to incorporate into your game because your mind will be free to think about strategy/placement rather than being preoccupied with getting the bat to turn around.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!