OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 11:57 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I have a few American TT friends who pop into Korea from time to time. This is Joel. He is officially rated mid 2200's but he plays a little higher than that. He is playing against our club number one player, who is a div 1 player in city and regional standard, and top div 3/middle of pack div 2 national standard. sometimes, our club is lucky enough to get this guy on our team for a few tourneys, which we do quite well when that happens. Sometimes we get an even better US player. Our club no 1 in US standards is 2250-2300. He always finds a way to win and make the semis or finals of every tourney. Our club number one asked me what Joel had been doing, because the last time he was here, Joel could keep even at best. Joel was training with a girls High school TT team for a few months last year. To give you an idea of that, those chicks are USATT 2300 for starters and go a lot higher.

There is no one else in the club, because we had the matches after the club closed. Joel took a long time getting here on the trains.

These vids will give you all a small idea of of the Korean standard described above, and a little bit about US standards.

Well, here are the vids. I do not know how to embed Photobucket vids, so if a mod knows how, have at it.

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/TT%20Vids/?action=view&current=JoelvsGyuhyukGame1.mp4

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/TT%20Vids/?action=view&current=JoelvsGyuhyukGame2.mp4

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/TT%20Vids/?action=view&current=JoelvsGyuhyukGame3.mp4

http://s125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Der_Echte/TT%20Vids/?action=view&current=JoelvsGyuhyukGame4.mp4

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 14:47 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

i watched two games and thought joel was the aggressor all the time, the Koreans mans serves were too long but overall a good standard of play

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 16:03 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Nice.

What was with those girly screams?

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 16:07 
I am Legend
I am Legend

rodderz wrote:
i watched two games and thought joel was the aggressor all the time, the Koreans mans serves were too long but overall a good standard of play

I don't know. The Korean dude didn't look that comfortable over the table, whereas when he served long and got a weak open loop, he could bang it back at Joel.

PostPosted: 08 May 2011, 22:59 

Gyuhkeok is our club No 1 player. He uses an ancient Yasaka (not TSP, that is another player I confused) carbon J-Pen blade with a thin SP rubber. His game is built around controlling the return and pulverizing anything that isn't a strong return. He usually makes a lot more short serves, but Joel is very good at BH flicking over the table with mis-direction, so maybe that is why Gyuhyeok went with some longer serves. Gyuhyeok is very good at putting the brakes on your loop and giving you back something that is difficult to time, which makes him get a lot of errors from opponents' attempts to continue the attack. Gyuhyeok can also reloop and that has a lot less spin than it looks like. That match, Gyuhyeok told me Joel's loops were just to spinny. I think he had a hard time anticipating where the loops were going. Gyuhyeok is a very adaptable player who can also go on offense and continue attack. His footwork is real quick too. Jeol just had too much hot sauce on his loops that night. Last year, a 2300 player visited and had a losing record vs Gyuhyeok. You have to have a very good service return and strong, heavy spin opening to win vs Gyuhyeok. You can't give him anything loose or it is BANG, point over.

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 00:41 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Silver wrote:
rodderz wrote:

I don't know. The Korean dude didn't look that comfortable over the table, whereas when he served long and got a weak open loop, he could bang it back at Joel.

I thought his serves were easily attacked and lead to his loss

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 19:38 

Silver wrote:
Nice.

What was with those girly screams?

I dunno. Still, I would rather deal with that, than play only once a week, have to drive an hour each way, lose major petrol $$$, and duck flying frypans after I get back home.