OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 05:00 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

hookshot wrote:
I just checked with two 2000+ players and they both gave the attacker about 1500. The blocker about 1700.

This is roundabout what my guess would have been.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 05:09 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
hookshot wrote:
Another estimate from a good player,
Attacker, 1400 to 1500.
Blocker, 1650. And he also said, "without the illegal serves".

That's about what I was thinking. No comparison to Dwruck and his opponents, for example.

I knew this topic would spark an interesting discussion. :)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 05:50 
Super User

2300 or more for the blocker. This guy is a nightmare! :D

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 07:02 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

There you go 1200 to 2300 a typical normal ratings variance, for any particular player on video (one reason why ratings guesses don't mean anything)

having said that all Australian vets except Greg Letts serve from a low toss especially the older ones lol
To me the event looked like a typical weekly run pennant / interclub/ league event run weekly in a 1000 suburbs of NZ, Australia or maybe England etc, where clothing and serving are not the main focus , but more of a weekly excersize, fun and to try and get that little trophy

About the serving, I think in general the table Tennis world gets away with a lot of in-proper serves, many people may moan about the low toss serves, but we hardly see anyone tossing the ball near vertical , the main thing players do is toss it backwards and sideways, on general this type of serve allows more deception and can be harder to see point of contact , everyone does it because everyone does it, the same in weekly pennant/ inter-club where there is little or no policing of serves so everyone gets dragged down and the excuse's are
"I'm not the only one",
"first time I've every been told that"
or both player look at each other and laugh but carry on with their low serves

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 07:25 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Now you know why you have people serving like that, Hookshot lives too far away. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 07:35 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

hookshot wrote:
Now you know why you have people serving like that, Hookshot lives too far away. ;) :lol:

Plenty of very dodgy Chinese servers in Chinese parks aren't there? :lol:
If a person just serves low and doesn't get much advantage is compared to higher level players who serve into themselves and can hide spin, I know who the ITTF should be working on first

the worse type of serves I have ever come across is the pen-hold method of bat and opposite hand coming together at a rapid speed and the ball is tossed directly at the incoming bat (thus producing a big side-spin serve lol)

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 08:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Most old guys around here still serve illegally by not tossing the ball high enough. They don't bother me at all... At least not even close to hot-shot "Chooo!" happy youngsters and "international" players who intentionally toss their serves backwards, and remove their free arm at contact... 99% of the time I couldn't even see the contact, and the fact that they are so much better than those low-tossing old farts, it's a non-brainer who are worse cheaters to me...

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 13:46 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
roundrobin wrote:
I would have rated 1950 for the blocker, 1800 for the looper to start if they came to my tournaments...

RR, that's pretty much what I would rate them as well from my limited understanding of US ratings.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 13:49 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
There was a looper in the vid? :^) :lol:

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 14:23 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

No looper as far as I could see, I'd still like to see anyone under US1800 beat the blocker, wouldn't happen imho. I've seen beginner lp blockers with 1/10th of that guys ability destroy decent club loopers (real loopers) Carbonman must rate low because he's such a high level player he beats everyone 11-1 and has lost touch with the common folk :lol:.

Reb would probably agree all things being taken into account and letting everyone serve as they do, then this guy in the video would be a similar level pimpler to himself and Reb can has and will continue mess up a US1800 player easily. If you will remember the time Reb played a US Citizen on 1700 points and the US player averaged 4-5 points a game with many games being 2-3. Anyway If I seen this blocker guy at a tournament I wouldn't be especially confidant :^)

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 14:25 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
roundrobin wrote:
I would have rated 1950 for the blocker, 1800 for the looper to start if they came to my tournaments...

RR, that's pretty much what I would rate them as well from my limited understanding of US ratings.

This agrees with my understanding of the US levels also ^ almost to the point

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 14:46 
Double Dipper

foam wrote:
No looper as far as I could see, I'd still like to see anyone under US1800 beat the blocker, wouldn't happen imho. I've seen beginner lp blockers with 1/10th of that guys ability destroy decent club loopers (real loopers) Carbonman must rate low because he's such a high level player he beats everyone 11-1 and has lost touch with the common folk :lol:.

Reb would probably agree all things being taken into account and letting everyone serve as they do, then this guy in the video would be a similar level pimpler to himself and Reb can has and will continue mess up a US1800 player easily. If you will remember the time Reb played a US Citizen on 1700 points and the US player averaged 4-5 points a game with many games being 2-3. Anyway If I seen this blocker guy at a tournament I wouldn't be especially confidant :^)

First and foremost, US 1700 =/ US 1800 =/ US 1900. It is completely unreasonable to think that someone is 2000 or near it because they were beating a single 1700 easily (no offense intended Reb or foam). I used to destroy 1800s back home. Now that I live in Colorado, and going to the same clubs McAfee frequents, I have to step my game up just to play my rating, something I was doing easily before. The difference? These people are not only "familiar" with long pips, they are trained on how to play against them. I've even met two people rated low and mid 1800 that lack absolutely nothing on being 2000 other than playing another tournament. However, until they gain points, they are still classified as 1800s and I have to beat them just so that I can be a mid 1900 level player. This is why they say your true rating will usually surface if you play tournaments regularly. You really never know until the number is listed by your name.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 15:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
That's an altogether fair point PP, but we don't have much else to go on here besides video. And we know how dodgy judging people by video can be. ;) Judging someone by what you see live is hard enough compared to stepping up against them at the table where you can sometimes find a totally different player to what you thought you would play. And on top of that, as we all know, we have our "on" times and our "off" times just to confuse the issue even further. This discussion comes down to more of a bit of a topic for the sake of fun than anything concrete, without doubt!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 15:17 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Well the easy way would be just find out what the percentage of players are above US2000 and match that to the Victorian one. Assuming Americans are equal to Australians in table tennis ability, considering the Victorian system is in a relatively small area and much more organised with many more competitions, tournaments and a much more active coaching program that's being very generous to the US side.

15.88% of US players are over US2000 which is the 246th player in Victoria and he's on 1144 points. In my generous argument everyone above 1144 must be over 2000US. Given the illustrious blocker is not far away from that and in a club noted for being under rated I conclude you doubters need to see videos of yourselves before you judge :up:. I've said forever that Vic 1000 is equivalent to US 2000 on average (less than 2000 in the city and more than 2000 in the country) and I'll stick to that as my own belief, you can use 1144 if you want, the only thing is... you'll be wrong :rofl:

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 15:49 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

In my opinion around Division 5 in my country with division 7 being the lowest and division 1 and above being the highest.
Their technique is pretty neat and consistent.

Sorry I can't rate it USATT..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next