OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 19:33 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
The funny thing is the LP blocker could actually serve legally without much trouble and then have a serve which would be legal and possibly more lethal. Not to mention he probably wouldn't have so many muffed serves if he made a legal toss. It would be interesting to see him play then, so his game could be appreciated without the serve issue distracting it all. Of course would still be good to see him play a better player...someone like PingPongRob.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 21:13 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Quote:
The dude with LP, let's say his illegal serves are allowed like any amature tourney here in Korea, he we would be strong div 4 or middle of the road div 3 in my city. The 2x inverted fellah would be div 4. I have seen much better allround attacking 2x players than him in div 4 Uijeongbu city, but he is not div 5 or "Hope" division.
from what I have seen with many of the opposition Der_ecte played against tend to just serve to get the ball over ?
I would think many of us have some serves that are not strictly legal, I remember someone saying something to me about my serves are not always high enough, I said I have played for 25 years and no one ever said anything to me, then a month later an official umpire said please toss the ball a bit higher lol
i still think IMO that the toss back serve gives players more advantages than lazy social low toss serves

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:09 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I will have to check again but I thought the match was close. If so, why would it be good to see him play a better player?
If the guy everyone keeps reffering to as a looper had asked for things to improve his game, there would have been a flood of info to correct his footwork, how to loop, how to get power, which foot forwards for forhand, how to serve better, how to push, good stance, how to open, half long serves, on and on and on. From a coaches viewpoint, there are an endless number of flaws in his game. I think if the original question had been different, the resulting thread would have been much different. It is like people are now responding to protect thier rating system instead of a fair comparision to other players. Or maybe to protect the blockers style. If the blocker is so much better than the other guy, why dident he kill him? No consistancy? Gave away too many serves? He would not be close to 2000 in my book. I have a student that would take the "looper" guy. He would lose to the blocker though as he does not have enough experience against pips yet.

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:19 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Good points Hookshot, but I don't get enough from one vid of the 2x inverted players to make more solid conclusions that still could be wrong. I saw enough of the blocker to get an idea of how he would fare vs the mean of mid to advanced level attackers.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:23 

rodderz wrote:
Quote:
The dude with LP, let's say his illegal serves are allowed like any amature tourney here in Korea, he we would be strong div 4 or middle of the road div 3 in my city. The 2x inverted fellah would be div 4. I have seen much better allround attacking 2x players than him in div 4 Uijeongbu city, but he is not div 5 or "Hope" division.
from what I have seen with many of the opposition Der_ecte played against tend to just serve to get the ball over ?
I would think many of us have some serves that are not strictly legal, I remember someone saying something to me about my serves are not always high enough, I said I have played for 25 years and no one ever said anything to me, then a month later an official umpire said please toss the ball a bit higher lol
i still think IMO that the toss back serve gives players more advantages than lazy social low toss serves

You must have looked at an old vid of me playing div 4. The div 2 dudes and teh div 1 guyz are no joke on both serve and receive. Div 4 is full of holes, but many have a very good attacking game and plenty of fight.

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:28 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Just look at 95% of coach MaCfee's serves many just drop down from high and never is tossed at all and most serves are the same as the two in the video, and he teaches coaches

Yes I would agree with Hookshot about the attackers flaws but he looks to be a self taught player at mid age ,and even then he could get better technically if someone helped him, but in general many players like him/me and others are just having a fun night out and a bit of excersize and away from the TV and computer

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:30 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Der_Echte wrote:
rodderz wrote:
Quote:

You must have looked at an old vid of me playing div 4. The div 2 dudes and teh div 1 guyz are no joke on both serve and receive. Div 4 is full of holes, but many have a very good attacking game and plenty of fight.

yes they have (all seem to attack nicely) but some of the vids (some LP ladies) just do a serve in the same place everytime

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:43 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

rodderz wrote:
Yes I would agree with Hookshot about the attackers flaws but he looks to be a self taught player at mid age ,and even then he could get better technically if someone helped him, but in general many players like him/me and others are just having a fun night out and a bit of excersize and away from the TV and computer

I don't think anyone is trying to criticise either of the players out of hand (as it were :) ). Rather we are just speculating about what US standard they would be at - in particular whether they would be around US2000. I'm in the hookshot camp on this one - neither looks to be in the same class of most of the US2000 I have seen.

Last edited by carbonman on 13 May 2012, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 22:54 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

carbonman wrote:
rodderz wrote:

I don't think anyone is trying to criticise either of the players out of hand (no pun intended :) ). Rather we are just speculating about what US standard they would be at - in particular whether they would be around US2000. I'm in the hookshot camp on this one - neither looks to be in the same class of most of the US2000 I have seen.

I'm sure they will be very disappointed about that lol, I never tend to guess these things and don't know if two Americans could agree :lol:
I would say better than average

PostPosted: 13 May 2012, 23:58 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Unless a particular player goes to another country and participates in the tournaments and leagues of that country, then trying to compare their level to another country's is always going to be pure speculation and guesswork with no-one's opinion being truly more valid than anothers unless someone's is really outrageous. I very much doubt these 2 guys played their local leagues finals match with the idea that they would be discussed as to how they would rate against another club letalone another country. As rodderz said, just guys out for some fun and exercise away from the house. Pretty standard sort of stuff for us downunder. Of course its fun to discuss the aspects of anyone's game, but you cannot be critical of them when you have no clue as to what it takes to walk in their shoes.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 03:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Unless a particular player goes to another country and participates in the tournaments and leagues of that country, then trying to compare their level to another country's is always going to be pure speculation and guesswork with no-one's opinion being truly more valid than anothers unless someone's is really outrageous. I very much doubt these 2 guys played their local leagues finals match with the idea that they would be discussed as to how they would rate against another club letalone another country. As rodderz said, just guys out for some fun and exercise away from the house. Pretty standard sort of stuff for us downunder. Of course its fun to discuss the aspects of anyone's game, but you cannot be critical of them when you have no clue as to what it takes to walk in their shoes.

Well, just by walking in our own shoes I think we have a clue what different levels of play look like.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 08:20 

Yeah Rodderz, the OX LP Achuma Brigade generally serve only 3 serves.

1. Long fast cut with some spin variation

2. Barely short underspin

3. Fast serve with OX LP

That is about it. Some of them have a tricky serve motion so it can be rought to tell the exact ammount of spin.

With these players, I have to take a lot of power off my serve receive and try to send it back deep with a lot of spin. That is usually troublesome to them and wins the point right away, but I still have to read the serve, be in position, and make the right stroke, which may or may not work 100% of the time.

One or two of them can sometimes try a very short no spin to FH.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 13:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

mynamenotbob wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:

Well, just by walking in our own shoes I think we have a clue what different levels of play look like.

Of course you can, but what I mean is you don't know the reasons behind why people you see playing, play the way you see on video, without knowing a lot about the person/s. There may be mitigating factors which may make criticism unwarranted. For example, what if you knew the attacker had just recovered from serious back surgery or the LP blocker has a broken left wrist making his toss as good as he can manage? (These are not real situations, just examples).

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 14:12 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Other reasons or conditions do not mean anything. We were asked how we would rate them as seen on the vid.

PostPosted: 14 May 2012, 16:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

hookshot wrote:
Other reasons or conditions do not mean anything. We were asked how we would rate them as seen on the vid.

Of course they do mean something. Are you telling me you'd be highly critical of someone who was having a go despite knowing they were highly impaired from something? That would be harsh wouldn't it? Would you want someone to be overly critical of you if you showed up in a vid on the net playing a match when you had something preventing you playing as well as you normally could?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next