OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 22:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2018, 00:43 

Blade: B-Fly Powerspin Hinoki
FH: DHS G666
BH: Qing Soft
I played the runner up in last year's Virginia State Championship, Louis Levene,a few months ago. He is around USATT 1950. His father (Michael) is a coach who is around USATT 2100 and used to be a bit higher a few years ago.

FWIW my US club rating when I played in Virginia a few times was about 1713 and I took one single game off Louis in 3 matches (and took him to duece in 2 or 3 other games but was nowhere close to beating him). I did beat another player who was about USATT 1946 at the time (Henry Wung).

Both of the players in this video seem to have very high quality serves and have pretty darned good bh topspins as well as strong forehands.

The slightly weaker (IMHO) of the two players in the video (shorter name on his back) seems to be of a similar standard to Louis Levene, and the slightly stronger (IMHO) player seemed quite a bit better than this - perhaps USATT 2100-2200?

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2018, 21:01 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
The players in the video are both masters of sport in Russia which would put them at 2400-2500. The heavier guy beat a guy rated 2600+ from Moscow 2-3 years ago. In the initial video both players were playing with flu symptoms. They both have not fully adapted to their old level before the plastic ball change.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 14:14 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Whilst they are nice players and have nice backhands I really dont think they are 2400-2500. I could give many examples for this, most of which centre around their serve/receive game.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 16:34 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I doubt they are 2400+ too based on the videos posted

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 18:46 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
ppdls wrote:
I played the runner up in last year's Virginia State Championship, Louis Levene,a few months ago. He is around USATT 1950. His father (Michael) is a coach who is around USATT 2100 and used to be a bit higher a few years ago.

FWIW my US club rating when I played in Virginia a few times was about 1713 and I took one single game off Louis in 3 matches (and took him to duece in 2 or 3 other games but was nowhere close to beating him). I did beat another player who was about USATT 1946 at the time (Henry Wung).

Both of the players in this video seem to have very high quality serves and have pretty darned good bh topspins as well as strong forehands.

The slightly weaker (IMHO) of the two players in the video (shorter name on his back) seems to be of a similar standard to Louis Levene, and the slightly stronger (IMHO) player seemed quite a bit better than this - perhaps USATT 2100-2200?

I played in your club for a year or so and had mixed results vs Louis... I beat him, he beat me, then we eat chicken.

If you want to have an easier time vs Louis' dad Michael, have him eat a box of Popeyes or Chick-fill-a, he usually shows up to league ravoneous hungry and either one drops his play level like 3-4 levels.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 00:10 

Blade: B-Fly Powerspin Hinoki
FH: DHS G666
BH: Qing Soft
Der_Echte wrote:
ppdls wrote:

I played in your club for a year or so and had mixed results vs Louis... I beat him, he beat me, then we eat chicken.

If you want to have an easier time vs Louis' dad Michael, have him eat a box of Popeyes or Chick-fill-a, he usually shows up to league ravoneous hungry and either one drops his play level like 3-4 levels.

I do hope Michael reads this :rofl:

He was sitting out injured when I was there as a guest in September 2017. I had a knock-up with him on my previous visit 2 years earlier.

I am from the UK and have visited Smash TTC during two vacations - September 2015 when I hadn't played at all for 15 years (or in competition for 33 years!) and then again in September 2017 after just one season back in competition. The first visit is what encouraged me to start playing again as I was much better than I expected to be after so long out of the game. I'm now playing from 3-5 times most weeks.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 00:27 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
LOOPOVER wrote:
The players in the video are both masters of sport in Russia which would put them at 2400-2500. The heavier guy beat a guy rated 2600+ from Moscow 2-3 years ago. In the initial video both players were playing with flu symptoms. They both have not fully adapted to their old level before the plastic ball change.

It's always tricky to compare ratings across countries - and since there are multiple ways of getting 'master of sport' rank, there is no guarantee that it corresponds to a specific rating, be it in Russia or elsewhere.

Same with '2600+ guy from Moscow' - I doubt he actually has USATT rating, so that's just a guess as well. Perhaps if you were to reference this specific match from competition, then one could evaluate them better. In this video they seem to goof around somewhat, and if they are sick (how would we know?), well, what's the point?

I find these threads to be at least somewhat relevant and entertaining when the subject in question DOES have solid USATT rating. Otherwise you end up comparing your estimates against OP beliefs, and that's just pure opinion at that point.

/mini rant

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 16:00 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Same two guys, playing in a tournament final, 7 years ago.

https://youtu.be/aERYNJLE630

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 18:28 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
I'd like to revise my estimate to RC1700.

Also, without trying to sound rude, can I ask what's the point of this thread? Sort of waiting for the punch line.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2018, 18:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I was waiting for it too. Not sure if there was a point to making the excuses for the original video either...

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2018, 01:12 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Whilst their general rallying is pretty good (the bh at 2.49 is fabulous!...even though the earlier part of the rally is untidy) their serve/receive is very loose and against genuine 2400+ players they would be seriously punished. They continually serve long with not a great deal of spin and these long serves are usually passively pushed back...and these passive pushes are in turn frequently pushed back (eg the rally from 0.23ff and 1.17ff). A genuine 2400+ player would sooner rip his own throat out than let this happen. Also, the big guy only wants to play backhands and is often caught standing in the middle of the table with his right foot forward. My guess is US 2200ish/RC 1600ish.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2018, 15:30 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
ppdls wrote:
Der_Echte wrote:
ppdls wrote:

I do hope Michael reads this :rofl:

He was sitting out injured when I was there as a guest in September 2017. I had a knock-up with him on my previous visit 2 years earlier.

I am from the UK and have visited Smash TTC during two vacations - September 2015 when I hadn't played at all for 15 years (or in competition for 33 years!) and then again in September 2017 after just one season back in competition. The first visit is what encouraged me to start playing again as I was much better than I expected to be after so long out of the game. I'm now playing from 3-5 times most weeks.

I think I remember, I was there in the Sterling location in Sep 2015.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 03:43 
Call me Shrek!
Call me Shrek!

Blade: Dr Neubauer High Tec Plus
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Tibhar Hybrid K3
this is what US 2400 level looks like...

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 05:19 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I would put them at 19-2000. The Russian guys.
I would also comment that video is highly deceiving. Even watching in person is deceiving.

Someone mentioned Henry Wung up top. To watch him in person, you wouldn't think he's around 1900. He looks like 1500...maybe, but he's actually far better than that. It's because he plays a blocker style and doesn't really loop. John Olsen also doesn't "Look" the part, but he whoops my arse considerably.

The opposite is also true. I run into guys all the time that look like they are 2000+, and then I kill them playing as an attacker (I am a recently converted chopper). Louis falls into the latter category and looks like he's higher level than he is.

All are excellent players and great guys.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 11:58 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

PRW do you have a USTTA rating? It would be interesting to compare Australian/RC and US ratings.