OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 14:45 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Hey guys

thanks too Mcdonald,
I found a link to a video of William (Australian No.1) up against Justin Han (an up and coming talent that has graced our aussie shores from China).
The video was of an exhibition game,played in thorleigh, they played the day before the Western Sydney Open Competition, sponsored by Geoff.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8922GTYhgw

Here's a quote from aussietabletennis, about WILLIAM'S encounter with JUSTIN...

Quote:
I have been up in Sydney for the last few days and played in the STIGA Western Sydney Championships at Olympic Park yesterday. It was a strong event with the Australian nr 1, nr 4 (Robbie Frank), nr 5 (Kiet Tran), John Tawadrous, George Tang and Justin Han (who I would guess is nr 2 in Australia). A total prize pool of over $3000 was up for grabs in the heat of a beautiful Sydney day.

Justin Han has joined Aussie Table Tennis as a Gold level sponsored player. Justin created a storm at the Australian Open a couple of months ago by staying undefeated in the teams event and making the semi-final of the Men's Singles. He was a member of the Chinese junior national team and is now living in Sydney after arriving in Australia a few months ago.

Justin and I made the final of the singles without many problems. I beat Kiet Tran in one semi 3-0 and Justin beat Nana Boateng 3-1 in the other. Kiet struggled with his consistency. I think he felt the pressure that he had to play his strongest shots on every ball which is fine if you are playing well but devastating if you're not. Kiet normally has a flashy game playing the ball quickly straight off the bounce and that is tough to play against if he's having a good day. He showed his quality in May this year making the final of the Australian Closed Championships in Cairns and giving me a good game in the final. However, yesterday he missed returns of serve and first topspins and he can't afford to do that against me.

The final was the first time I've played against Justin. He plays a fairly typical Chinese game with a strong forehand topspin and heavy, heavy backspin pushes. He won the first set 11-9, I came back from 10-8 down to win the second set 15-13, he won the third 11-2 and I came back from 8-4 down in the fourth to win 12-10. The crowd at Homebush was really getting into the match with big support for hometown boy Justin and some support for me. Return of serve is very important against the Chinese style of game and mine wasn't working well at all. You can't afford to give away 3 or 4 points per set by doing weak returns and still hope to beat good players. Somehow I managed to turn things around when I needed to and we were set for a deciding fifth game.

There weren't too many long rallies as both of us are comfortable trying to get the point over and done with as soon as possible. He does this by trying to hit his forehand hard and I do this by trying to get a low, spinny, fast topspin with my backhand. We were both serving mainly short no-spin or topspin serves to try to stop the other player pushing short and getting a strong topspin in first. Justin was up 8-4 but I clawed back again. Scores were locked at 9-9 and he went ahead 10-9. I got in with my backhand topspin on the next point to level at 10-10. I flicked strongly with my backhand off his serve, 11-10 to me. Heavy topspin serve and heavy spin loop by me which hit the edge of his racket. I'd survived a spirited challenge and took the title.

Something tells me this is only the first of many future big game match-ups against Justin.

I've only been playing with new equipment for a couple of weeks and there is some adjusting to do. I'm pleased with how my XIOM Zeta rubbers are feeling and I think that once I learn how the rubber reacts in all circumstances I won't notice much of a difference compared to before the speed glue ban. More on this soon.

ENJOY!!

metal monkey :D

Last edited by metal monkey on 08 Oct 2008, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 14:51 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

......also note if you want to find the other games,
please look in the "related videos section".

mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 15:02 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Thanks MM wery nice :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 15:05 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I have heard in the CHinese community that he "was" a CHinese junior, and have played games and trained with the best of them, ie Wang Hao and Ma Lin, I have seen him play personally and it really does seem the real deal, but he might lack in experience, but he does have all the shots!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2008, 15:17 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
Thanks Monkey for providing the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 10:42 

monkey, title should have been W. H (rank 1) vs Justin Han (rank 2) <--- this will be soon reality :lol: (see comment from W. henzell himself)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Oct 2008, 10:57 

Forgot to add, amy mentioned last night
justine uses both Hurricane 3 and latest Stiga blade (dont know which one since he got sponsored by Stiga) and water base glue (forgot which brand the glue is ......)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 06:56 
Heavy Looper

I'm surprised the organisers of this exhibition match allowed the other players to continue knocking behind whilst the game was on. Seems to me there is a bit of a lack of respect from the other players. Maybe it is just a cultural thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 12:45 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Wow interesting video thanks Maccas and MM!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 13:03 
I am Legend
I am Legend

dunno.
All tournies around here, if you're knocking up next to a match or an exhibition, they'll ask you to shift down one court if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 00:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Monkey, thouroughly enjoyed watching the vid, thanks for posting link and Wooks comments.

Justin's movements are very fluid, he covers the court so well. I think Wook can count his blessings to get away with that match!

McDonald welcome to the forum!

I agree with the comment about the knock-up JKC, I think all important games, whether it be at tourneys or even club finals deserve some respect to reduce the risk of causing lets. :roll:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 08:08 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Just watched the video :P

They don't look like they're just hitting up in the background. It looks to me like they're playing a fixture matches. Note the doubles and the scorers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 13:22 
I am Legend
I am Legend

jon's already forgotten :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 16:24 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Who is Jon???? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2008, 16:43 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Jon2378 on dttw.

Plays in the sa state league with (against) haggisv.

Ranked 45th in aus atm.