OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Boll wins in Qatar
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 22:20 
Super User

Boll - Ma Lin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmxD5J93DU

If they are not boosting, then I must be blind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2009, 23:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Oh come on Quelis. Looked like normal Sriver vs. Normal Hurricane 3 surely. :roll: :lol: :lol: And you could have chosen a better match to get a vid of, couldn't you? :P :twisted: :wink:

Actually at 1:29 it shows a good shot of Timo's blade and black rubber. I just don't have the definition here to read what they say. :P

Seriously, great vid, very enjoyable and what a great fight. The spin level is no more evident when Timo sends back a loop and MaLin tries to push it back and it flies off his bat sharply. Also liked seeing Timo play off the floor. He almost won it too! Couldn't believe he even got it back!

Now Timo could be just using Tenergy. That's plausible. But what would MaLin be using?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 00:36 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

That was one hell of a tough match! Nerve-wracking last set! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 03:07 

lol, I was about to post a topic about this.. ^^

Great Match! great BH from Timo Boll.. and yes love the part when he was down and was able to return the ball. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 05:37 

was it jsut me or was that one of the few table tennis videos that dont make the proffesionals look invinsible? some funny mistakes you'd see at lower level (fair enough its much faster and much spinnier but i still found it funny) like when ma lin missed his stroke and the ball flew past him?

boll on the floor was great :lol:

and, question, why does ma lin lift off the floor on his loops, i actually do the same but was discouraged to do so, any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 11:16 

It seems that Ma lin need to use much more power than usual to loop back. It could be the problem of his un-glued rubbers. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 14:00 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Thanks Quelis.

As final should be dramatic,Boris Becker moves from Boll,Ma Lin had two match points and couldnt close it up,Well done Boll people love him, :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 11:53 

tt match is getting better with longer rallies
all chinese players are obviously slower since glue ban and we can see so many rallies...
boll - hao shuai was also full of rallies ....

boll is the only person who adapted glue ban era rubbers very well
also we can see the way he counterspin with his bh easily now compared to before glue ban. due to slower speed and less spin ....

this is good.... im just getting bored chn vs chn in the final all the time....
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 01:29 
Super User

Hi mcd0nald. We shouldn't get bored by the nationality or skin colour of the players getting at the finals. We should care just for their quality.

I understand what you mean, and I really loved it when Waldner was the king of Rock'n'Roll, but ... sometimes it seems that the ITTF keeps changing rules to keep the chinese out of the first positions. Chinese players will come back (if they are not already there, which I'm sure of). Boll is a great player, no doubt about it, but he also has a big company behind using him as a showcase for their new products. He probably gets his rubbers "extra" tuned (which by the way coming from the factory made them perfectly legal).

Q.-

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 07:48 
HE-LP on land or sea

To me, that view does not hold to closer inspection. When the 40mm ball was introduced, it was to the detriment of defenders and people who have short strokes, IE European players. Players who had played a varied game where the ones that got hurt. You look at Ma Lin and Wang Liqin before the change in ball, they played an entirely different game, as did a large number of the major Europeans.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 07:51 

hi quelis,

dont get me wrong i am azn too but yeah i know what you are saying that we watch for quality but we dont deny that chinese has dominated table tennis now more than ever.....since LGL has become national coach we have to admit he's had the most knowledge compared to previous coaches and he managed to get fast, destructive players in the era.

Problem is that mostly chinese players start to get bored with their ball tactics and only a few like Wang Hao for example can get table tennis more enjoyable ....I dont blame them, they are created to win with their styles ....

You also can see how Boll played against chinese in competition, a lot of rallies. he can create that ... that s the good thing.
Last not least, i just want to watch longer rallies in table tennis :lol: . That is all i wanted to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 22:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I understand what you mean McD0nald. Having different styles (which often comes from different nationalities) in the major games makes the game more enjoyable to watch. The Boll v MaLin game here was one of the best I've seen in a while. I do like MaLin's game, but having someone like Boll being able to truly compete and not get wiped away is very refreshing.

Its not a race issue, its more of a different style and different faces issue.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 22:23 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Ma Lin's 3rd ball style doesn't really look anywhere near as effective as it was last year (with glue).