OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Waldner vs 2515 Player
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2010, 03:20 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2010, 04:03 
Hard Justice

Very lively setting and nice color combinations to see the game in; looks like Waldner was taking it easy and trying to entertain the crowd most of the time.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 02:33 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
There is quite a gap between Jan-Ove Waldner and USATT 2515 player David Fernandez who is currently rated #28 in the United States.

Waldner would probably be currently rated around 2800 USATT.

Here's how I arrive at that.

In the 2009/2010 season with Fulda-Maberzell, Waldner had an overall record of five wins, eleven losses, so at Bundesliga I level he was rated at #31 out of 37 players or in the bottom 16%.

Aleksandar Karakasevic, had a slightly better season than Waldner in the most recent Bundesliga I season, with 7 wins, 11 losses.

We know Karakasevic was rated USATT 2848 in the summer of 2008. This was sandwiched between two Bundesliga I seasons. In the 2007/2008 session, Karakasevic was 20-13 and rated #6 out of 46 players. In the 2008/2009 session, he went 9-13 and was rated #24 out of 36. So his level has dropped, but he probably still 2800+.

The USA's #1 player, Lupi Lupulesku is rated at 2781. He's 42 years old and doesn't play much anymore. He hasn't lost since 2006 (to Karakasevic) and is one of the six who sabotoged the 2009 U.S. Nationals. He is registered to play in this week's U.S. Open.

Stephan Feth is currently rated #2 in the USA with a rating of 2689. We know that he had a record of 7-15 playing in Bundesliga I during the 2005/2006 season, which placed him 49th out of 55 players. He was also playing in the USA around that time and his highest rating ever was 2731.

With only 37 players in Bundesliga I now, Lupulesku or Feth would likely now be playing in Bundesliga II at best.

By the way, the lowest rated player in the DTTL was Fabian Akerstrom, who was 1-9 in Bundesliga I, but was 15-1 playing in Bundesliga II.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2010, 04:25 
Double Dipper

Thank you so much for the perspective on the situation MNNB. I knew that Waldner was clearly screwing around, but I didn't know what the exact difference between the two players was. Your calculations of Waldner being 2800 certainly puts things in perspective. I also didn't know Waldner was getting beat so much over in Germany these days xD.