OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: ITTF videos on youtube
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 09:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've seen quit a few of the ITTF 'live' matches appear on youtube shortly after. There's a few sites out there that presumable record it, stick their name on the video and publich it on youtube. Although I think this is great for us :lol: as it's a convenient way to watch it, I wonder if they're allowed to do this?

The ITTF may not actually care, since they don't try and sell or promote their videos through other means after their live braodcast, so perhaps they're OK with it?

Just curious as I keep seeing this all the time, and I know youtube seems to have clamped down hard on some copyright issues...

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 11:35 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

haggisv wrote:
I've seen quit a few of the ITTF 'live' matches appear on youtube shortly after. There's a few sites out there that presumable record it, stick their name on the video and publich it on youtube. Although I think this is great for us :lol: as it's a convenient way to watch it, I wonder if they're allowed to do this?

The ITTF may not actually care, since they don't try and sell or promote their videos through other means after their live braodcast, so perhaps they're OK with it?

Just curious as I keep seeing this all the time, and I know youtube seems to have clamped down hard on some copyright issues...

An excellent question to ask Adham. ITTF (through him) did allow us to use pictures in the ITTF website, as long as they were credited: Courtesy of ITTF. (He mentioned that when I ask him in one of the threads here in to forum)

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 11:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes you might be right, they may just want to be credited.

I've been wondering about this for a while, and got reminded again when I saw the vids with JOO in the Korean open, where they were in youtube within a day of being broadcast. I don't know if they were actually ITTF videos as they were not the complete match.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 15:51 

ITTF has started putting a watermark on videos published since early 2010. As long as that is there and remains intact, I don't see a problem ripping them off the itTV site, making the edits and uploading on YouTube since on itTV they have a relatively short retention period before being taken offline. Besides, YouTube is reachable to a wider audience. However, certain "uploaders" have recently and obviously covered the ITTF watermark with their own. This may be deemed inappropriate by some.

= 184.8g

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2010, 16:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I agree! I think the videos can only help promote the game, so it's good to distribute them as much as possible... I also think that the credits should remain, and not be covered...

Still the ITTF has the final say on this... I will ask Adham

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2010, 07:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

This was Adham's response:

Adham wrote:
Our policy is NOT to allow contraband of our videos. When we discover such copies that are NOT authorized, then we try to stop them. Normally we would not mind for the videos to be copied and shown by everyone, but because we sell TV rights and we also sell the Internet rights, then we must protect the rights holders.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 00:32 
Super User

Blade: Yasaka Sweden Classic ST
FH: Hurricane 3 41 black 2.2
BH: Hurricane 3 38 red 2.2
It is a question I have thought about obviously having put up so many videos. The ittf it would seem has done nothing. Other companies could if they have bought the rights as now In the USA nobody can watch the ittf matches which would raise issues abut them being available on youtube again.

Regardless this is my first outright copy to see what happens. Choppers against Ma Long.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 01:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

In recent years nothing has promoted table tennis like the videos on youtube have, those guys out do anything the ITTF does to promote the sport 1000 fold. The guys that compile and upload those videos deserve a table tennis knighthood.

If the ITTF start chasing after those guys and having the videos removed they are freaking crazy, shooting themselves in the foot you might say. I'm not a fan of copyright at the best of times but this is one case when mass distribution of the video must be the main goal of everyone involved and for that to happen it needs to be free.

I would also say while Boz is here that I'm planing to see Thailand because of his awesome on the ground real world videos, the Thai tourism industry need to Knight him for that effort, amazing videos :up:

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 04:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
If the ITTF's main goal was increasing the exposure and popularity of table tennis, they should be happy that these posters are doing what they're doing. The ITTF has a 32-page document on the use of their logo. They could make similar requirements for the use of their photos, video, etc.

Of course, the ITTF could simply produce these videos themselves, but they don't do it. In fact, they seem clueless as to what people want to see. Case in point, yesterday the ITTF's official YouTube channel posted 10 videos that were all pretty much garbage.

It's disturbing what they're pulling with blocking the live stream in the USA over the last five days of the current WTTTC. I'm glad there was some blowback and the ITTF caved over the video on demand. Otherwise the unauthorized posters would all there is.

Attachments:
ittfvideos.jpg
ittfvideos.jpg [ 210.48 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 04:26 

As far as I know, ITTF has not actively gone after any YouTube videos of their events, at least in the past couple of years. And apparently (based on the latest arrangement) the deal with Universal only covers live streaming, so hopefully that won't create issues either. The Olympics is a different matter, NBC protects their turf very aggressively. Also, some foreign TV stations (especially from Japan) will have videos removed if they come from their broadcasts.