OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 10:45 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

It will always bounce :)

Seriously: The rule I quoted above dictates that the ball touch the table, but has no requirement for the duration of that touch. "Touch" does not imply a percussive or transient event like "bounce" or "strike" does. Assuming the ball is continuously touching the table while moving across, I'd say returning at roll-off (or before) is legal.

Disclaimer: I am not a certified referee, and have not read any guidelines for referees (which is where this kind of situation should be covered).

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 10:58 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Yes true, it will always bounce. I guess I should have said something like 'it only bounces once'.

I don't know the correct answer to the problem but I found it an interesting one. It seems counter-intuitive that one would be allowed to legally return a ball that has (for eg) rolled a meter along the table. Perhaps an official umpire like retriever might shed some light on this.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2012, 12:44 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
The umpire would want to be absolutely certain that the ball did only roll and did not bounce at all. One of the clips that was shown recently of world class players showed an around the net shot where the ball didn't bounce to the height it would have if it had cleared the net, but it did bounce.

I did discuss this recently with a few Australian National & International umpires and the consensus did seem to be that if there was absolutely no bounce in this situation and the player had the presence of mind to wait till the ball rolled off the table and managed to play a shot that did not hit the edge of the table, that the ball had just rolled off, and landed in on the other side of the table then that would be a valid return.