OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 02:12 

It aired on Swedish national television (SVT) yesterday, and can apparently be watched for a month at their website:

http://www.svtplay.se/video/243390/bragden

It's about the events that led up to Sweden beating China 5-0 in 1989 (with Appelgren, Waldner and Persson) and has a lot of cool footage from back then. If you don't speak Swedish it might be quite difficult to understand. If I have time I might try to summarize it eventually. Quite an interesting watch.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:12 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Knorben wrote:
It aired on Swedish national television (SVT) yesterday, and can apparently be watched for a month at their website:

It's about the events that led up to Sweden beating China 5-0 in 1989 (with Appelgren, Waldner and Persson) and has a lot of cool footage from back then. If you don't speak Swedish it might be quite difficult to understand. If I have time I might try to summarize it eventually. Quite an interesting watch.

And it might be of interest that the man who was head coach of the team was Glenn Östh. He now works for the Swedish Olympic Comitee and he is responsible for stopping Matilda Ekholm from participating in the Olympics. But it is a very nice film anyway :clap:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:14 
Super User

Blade: DonicWaldnerSenso
FH: Sriver FX-Max
BH: TSP Curl P-1R 0.5
Is anyone able to download it and put a link to it somewhere? I have a very slow connection and I see 2 seconds footage followed by 10 seconds buffering...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

By the way, welcome to the forum Knorben (that is a strange name :) )

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 06:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

zzzuppp wrote:
Is anyone able to download it and put a link to it somewhere? I have a very slow connection and I see 2 seconds footage followed by 10 seconds buffering...

That should be posible with an ad-on to your browser. But Downloadhelper can't do it, but there are others (can't remember).

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 10:17 

Def-attack wrote:
Knorben wrote:

And it might be of interest that the man who was head coach of the team was Glenn Östh. He now works for the Swedish Olympic Comitee and he is responsible for stopping Matilda Ekholm from participating in the Olympics. But it is a very nice film anyway :clap:

I'm not very checked out on that story, but is it Östh personally who's responsible for stopping Matilda? It seems that the SOK in general had very harsh criteria for sending people to the Olympics (I believe it was something along the lines of "it should be reasonable that the athlete can get a medal") and Matilda was one of the ones who got hit hard by this. I might be out on a limb, though.

EDIT: Turns out it was top 8 rather than get a medal.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 15:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I'm not sure you can hold him alone responsable, but I am pretty sure he could have made another decision (hopefully he discussed it with the other people in IOK and I hope he wanted Matilda to go and it was the other who forced him to not let her go).

However, I just feel I need to be angry at someone in this subject :)

It might be I'm just shooting the messenger though...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 17:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Thanks for that excellent historical video knorben! I watched the whole thing!

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 22:08 
The EJ's Boogyman
The EJ's Boogyman

Thanks very much Knorben - I only wish my Swedish extended beyond knowing the word for 'edge'. :)
Can someone tell me what was all the kerfuffle about in the match between Waldner and Jiang? Was he faulted? If so what we the reason?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 23:46 

He was faulted, because he dipped his bat below the table before the serve. He went around arguing for a long time, even went to the Swedish coach saying something along the lines of "I can't be faulted, I'm the world champion! Right?". Waldner even suggested that he got to redo the serve just to get the match going. Eventually what they did was switch the referee.
Basically, he realized he didn't have a chance, so making this fuss was a last desperate attempt to rattle J-O.