OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2007, 02:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I think I got it from Steve Winnard. Don't think he sells it but likely he can let you know where or how to get it, if that is where it came from: :lol:

[email protected]
tOD

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008, 18:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I finally had a go with Shoebox9's rubber (cheers mate!). Here is what I thought of it (on my Energy wood)

Chopping:
Control against loops is almost as good as LPs, but it's a little lively and fast, but far easier and controllable compared to short pips. Spin reversal was moderate, and it does allow decent variation in spin returns.

Blocking at the table:
It's quite good for this, reasonable forgiving but you still need to adjust to incoming spin a little... The ball is returned with little spin and is quite awkward. Hitting through a little more does produce a bit of a sinking ball, similar to LPs.

Attacking:
Attacking backspin is very good with this rubber and the control is excellent. There is some spin reversal as well, enough to bring it down. You can also counterhit a topspin ball, producing a little topspin. Hitting was nice, similar to short pips.

Short game:
Return of serve was quite good, but it was a little sensitive to spin, similar to the soft and grippy long pips. Against short no-spin balls you need to dig the ball in a little to get some grip, and attack... just blocking them back is not easy as the rubber is quite springy.

Generating spin:
I could generate some spin with the rubber, but no really much more than a soft and grippy LP, perhaps a little more. I suspect it would have been a little grippier when it was new, so this would have been easier.

I had little trouble adjusting to this rubber, as the strokes for me P-1r 1.2mm are all very similar.

Conclusion:
Well this is quite a nice rubber, and it has some properties of Long pimples AND short pimple rubbers... It would be suitable for those LP players that want more offensive ability without losing all the LP advantages. I actually found it quite similar to the TSP P-2 in almost every way... the P-2 is a little closer to short pips, whereas this one is a little closer to LPs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 11:09 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Thanks for the review Alex. I've had a brief hit with pimplemini in 1.0, and I agree that as a medium pip it's a little closer to a long pip than a short pip. I had a little more trouble with no spin balls though, and I didn't feel it generated quite enough spin. I actually just bought tsp's millitall 2 from your shop so hopefully I'll have a review up soon where I can make some comparisions.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 11:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Joo Se Kev wrote:
Thanks for the review Alex. I've had a brief hit with pimplemini in 1.0, and I agree that as a medium pip it's a little closer to a long pip than a short pip. I had a little more trouble with no spin balls though, and I didn't feel it generated quite enough spin. I actually just bought tsp's millitall 2 from your shop so hopefully I'll have a review up soon where I can make some comparisions.

Wow, I really look forwards to hearing how you like this one! Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 12:55 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Alex,

Did you try serving with it? I was getting almost inverted scale spin out of it on any stroke where the pips struck the ball at an extreme angle.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 14:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I did try serving with it, the spin was a little better than most LPs, but nothing close to inverted. I suspect they were much grippier when it was new... you can see the sheet is wearing a bit, a little white on the pips edges... it must have been a lot spinnier when you tried it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2008, 21:31 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Well that dampens my enthusiasm for this pip. If it's great initial spin was due to sharp pip edge-tops that quickly wear down, it certainly isn't the wonder pip I described it as.

I have two OX sheets in the cupboard ready for thin sponge and other experiments... :(

On the other hand, this is still a great option for those wanting a chopping pip they can also attack with- it really is similar to a medium paced short pip to hit with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 08:46 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Shoebox9 wrote:
Alex,

Did you try serving with it? I was getting almost inverted scale spin out of it on any stroke where the pips struck the ball at an extreme angle.

I noticed this as well. I think part of it was because the ball comes off the rubber pretty slowly so it's easier to keep short. When I brushed the ball very quickly at a sharp angle, I was able to create enough backspin/sidespin for the ball to creep back up the table and drop of the side (3-5 bounces). My sheet is fairly new though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 11:35 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Thanks Joo Se Kev,

I obviously wasn't on drugs then! I've never seen a pip that can generate that much spin on a serve. Could this sort of spin be generated by chopping a light topspin ball with a sharper angle/stoke? If so, this pip could be an amazingly deceptive tool.

I'll try with 0.6 sponge and report back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 11:46 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

yeah, I originally tried it on its original 1.0 sponge, but wanted to see if I could get more spin so I put it on a soft 1.5mm sponge (had a hell of a time separating the topsheet/sponge). On the thicker sponge it was amazing for counterhitting and still retaining some funny effects, but for chopping it was too springy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 11:48 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Hi Shoebox,,,
I had the same surprize with 802-40, Really strong spin on serve capabilities. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 13:42 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Hi Hookshot,

It's been 18m since I last used 802-40, so my memories are vague. I should dig up a sheet and do a comparison.

I'm guessing the Pimple Mini will eat it at pure spin generation on a serve (when striking the ball at an extreme angle), but I could be wrong. Of course 802-40 would be way better at producing topspin against incoming topspin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 15:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The 802-40 can generate very good spin... al least it did on the new sheet I tried

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2008, 20:56 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

My view is probably quite biased by the fact I'm only using new sheets of PimpleMini :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 12:15 
A Beautiful Brain

hi Hookshot,

I see you have Screw soft listed as a weapon of your arsenal..

What is that rubber like I wonder...a friend gave me a sheet of Nittaku red Screw that is 15 years old but in excellent condition...used only once or twice...
Any info on that

thanks

Kev

FH = Transcend SP on a MAX Big Slam sponge.
BH = Bomb Talent OX

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next