OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 10:19 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

glennholder wrote:
Hi friends, I have spied on your forum for a month, and just joined today! It is a much better forum than another I had joined. You guys know your stuff!

So.....I ordered my first ever pips out rubber yesterday. Milky Way Pluto. It will take 10 days to arrive. I read a 4 page topic in this forum on the rubber, I will analyze it deeply, and break it into a few usable approaches to start with the rubber.

After reading, I think that MP is a good place for me to start. I want to block, chop and hit. I'm going to be unusual, because my FH is where I will mostly use the MP. I hit well with my backhand, and use a grippy Coppa 1.1. I'm 53 years old, and have a nagging long term pain behind my shoulder blade on my hitting arm. I took a year off, and the problem came back. I don't play at that high of a level, so I want to avoid full arm topspin swinging with my FH because of the injury. I also prefer to play mid distance, so LP defence does not appeal. My strength is control, mixed with chops and a decent BH smash. I have learned to mid distance counter hit.

Question: if Pluto is not what suits me, what pips rubber model would you gentlemen recommend? I'm playing with a DEF+ blade.

how many people are currently in the dark side right now?

lets kust say that this forum is the death star...weellll, not completely....

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 04:26 
Super User

Gybe! wrote:
I think a more direct stroke is meant here. The idea is to hit it as directly as possible. So no brushing upwards or downwards is applied here.
With such a SP/MP/LP hit you can realize very nasty balls for your oppenents.
Note that if the incomming balls did drop below the net height you need to open you paddle a little bit and 'carry' the ball over the net. If the ball is above net height you can hit the ball in a more direct line to the location on the table you want the ball to land

During practice it's a good idea to keep your paddle above the table between the strokes. This will prevent that you will make a more topspin like stroke which happens when you start too low with you paddle. (as what is often my mistake :-) )

hope this helps?

Gybe!

Watch Miao Miao play William Henzell on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lya8Kcf ... re=related

AT about 4:05 is a great rally. Miao seems to be sinking the ball into the pips, deep into and through the sponge into the wood of the blade. There is a very loud clunk when she counters (of the RITC 563). She counter drives the ball with a short, direct stroke, and during that exchange she inside outs a punch block (or very short counter drive). Unfortunately she leaves it over the middle of the table and Henzell loops it and she misses the kill.

Watching this set it seems to me:

1) Mr. Henzell wants little part of serving into the 563
2) The celebrated sink from the medium pips is not bothering him much (guy's really good)!
3) Miao is very persistent and does not back off the table.
4) Miao is much quicker and more powerful than I am ever going to be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lya8Kcf ... re=related

You can follow the youtube for the rest of the match, but she seems to be a clinic of how to use them offensively.

Ian

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2011, 00:43 
Hard Justice

I have sheets of both 563-1 and Pluto, and they look pretty much identical except for Pluto having smooth tops and 563-1 having textured tops. They play pretty much identically too. 563-1 has slightly wider pip spacing than 563 regular. All of them seem short enough to call SP in my book.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2011, 13:03 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Tassie52 wrote:
glennholder wrote:
Someone said, when talking about MP's: The most effective attacks with a rubber like 563 use a flat, rolling stroke; not a brush or drive stroke like inverted. Use an inverted stroke with MP and you're back to playing with a semi-spinney inverted.

WHAT DOES A FLAT ROLLING STROKE MEAN?

Good question - I'm hoping someone can answer it so both of us can work out what we're supposed to be doing! (And a link to a video would be extra nice :) )

To me a flat rolling stroke is when you hit through the ball but turn your wrist over the ball as you go through it.

Pluto is a bit of a strange rubber IMO. I think it is classed as a SP, but it plays a little more like MP than any SP. Personally, it didn't stay on my blade very long at all. I still think to this day DHS C7 was the best MP I ever used. Gave opponents trouble with some reversal and I could smash with it. I was in a much lower grade then though, not sure it would bother them as much now (although the smash still would :lol: ).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 16:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
Quote:
To me a flat rolling stroke is when you hit through the ball but turn your wrist over the ball as you go through it.

Thank you Reb for that clear concept. I will try that next time I play. I'm enjoying 802-40 on my BH, but I think that your advice will improve my shot %. I sail some of them long. But I've only been using the 802-40 for 2 outings. There is a lot to learn in this sport. and "doing whatever comes natural" in this sport usually does not lead to much growth. Analysis is necessary...and your explanation of a rolling stroke will be tried!!!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 13:08 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Glennholder I should add that you are much more likely to be successful with this shot if the ball has an ounce or more of backspin on it, definitely not heavy topspin. For heavy topspin I suggest you block the ball with a very light touch on your bat (ie. have the bat moving backward of the ball slightly as it hits) and a somewhat closed or at least square bat angle.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.