OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Giant Dragon 612
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 00:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Played a little with this in 1.5 on my penhold forehand. Pips are slightly larger in diameter compared to 8228FC, but much softer so they bend and return more spin. Sponge is softer and doesn't crack like 8228FC purple sponge.

Closer to a long pip than a short pip. Smashes remind me of 755 Faster with significant reversal and very low arc extremely dangerous but not quite for me as harder to lift the ball over the net. Better for a blocker and pick hitter than an attacker.

Might be very useful for an aggressive long pips player, wonder if ToD has tried it. He sent me a sheet of 612 Turbo in 2.0, tuned version might be very interesting to try.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject: Re: Giant Dragon 612
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 01:26 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Given how good the Dragon Talon is, I bet this is also a good product. If I wasn't so in love with the Dragon Talon right now, I'd be tempted to give this a try. But nobody's going to pry the Dragon Talon out of my hands anytime soon. ;)

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 03:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Ooh.. tempted, indeed.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 05:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Might be very useful for an aggressive long pips player, wonder if ToD has tried it. He sent me a sheet of 612 Turbo in 2.0, tuned version might be very interesting to try.[/quote]

Andrew,
Nope, you got my only sheet of the six one two turbo. I am recovering from a couple of shoulder surgeries at the moment....I went in for one and they decided to give me a bargain deal:)...

I may have to have to get a couple more sheets now:)
tOD

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 05:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
Andrew,
Nope, you got my only sheet of the six one two turbo. I am recovering from a couple of shoulder surgeries at the moment....I went in for one and they decided to give me a bargain deal:)...

I may have to have to get a couple more sheets now:)
tOD

I can send it when I send your other stuff if you don't mind that it's cut for my 163X150 mm Chinese penhold blade.

As you like thinner rubber sheets, the regular 612 in 1.5 might better for you than the Turbo in 2.0. I'll be sending you an uncut sheet of 612 in red 1.5 when I send your other stuff.

Did you ever find a backhand rubber you liked for RPB? I do like the Scirocco I have in 1.8.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 09:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I reckon the sheets we have in the shop are turbo versions, but in regular packaging, as the sheets looks and feels highly tuned. It would not the first time that GD put stuff in the wrong packaging...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 11:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I reckon the sheets we have in the shop are turbo versions, but in regular packaging, as the sheets looks and feels highly tuned. It would not the first time that GD put stuff in the wrong packaging...

Wouldn't surprise me if it is. The 612 I got from you is thinner but doesn't otherwise feel much different from the Turbo. Too soft for me though, I prefer the harder 8228A.

Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 09:49 

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2011, 13:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Resistance.. is.. futile. Just ordered a sheet of red 612 Turbo in 1.8.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 14:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Mini review of 612 Turbo 1.8mm red.

Looks like a super beefy sheet of Talon. Broad, flat pips with hashed tips look more like MP than SP. Bouncy/lively with potential for reversal. The sponge is very dense and hard.. more so than even Thors or Skyline 3.

Dimensions:
168mm tall
169mm wide
56.6g without its clear backing sheet
40.2g cut

After 10 mins play on the robot..

Plays fast, firm, and flat. Slow flat hits demonstrate its reversal. Easy to spin with on BH. Not much sink. Consistent placement with good control. Slower than H3 Neo. Chopping iffy. Not loud or dramatic. Makes my bat too heavy.

I need to spend more time with it, obviously. I'll try to post a 612T vs Spectol 21 vs 651 comparo though it will likely be after Thanksgiving as my New Zealand trip is coming up this Saturday.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2011, 16:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I tested 612T with Charlie from BBC, a longtime 563 (BH) user, and neither of us came away impressed. 612T seems to exell most at generating dead balls; getting it to make spin is lots of work. That combined with its prodigious weight (563 weighs approx. 25g cut, for comparison) and 612T became a non-starter for Charlie.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2012, 22:38 
The Twiddler

I've just put a sheet of 612 Turbo (1.8mm) on my blade and have been having some coaching with it. I've got to say that it is a superb rubber and causes opponents a lot of problems.

However, you cannot play with it like a long pip, instead you need to almost play short pip shots to get it to work. Once you do this, you get the effect of a long pip but using a short pip style of play (i.e. punching the ball more).

Blocking against loops you just roll the ball with the 612, just as you would if you were to roll the ball when receiving a serve. It's the same shot and produces a very difficult to handle ball for your opponent. Flat open blocks are also effective but you need to just let the rubber do the work. A nice soft grip and let the ball hit the rubber and don't do anything more. The return ball is again awkward to judge as some of them have backspin and some have no spin (float balls).

A number of top players that I know (i.e. the former Wales no.2) is using this rubber and are getting very good results with it. I'm still getting used to it, but if you just play normal inverted shots to begin with, you'll find that the ball goes on a lot more. If you're used to playing with short pips, then a "short pip" punch is the sort of shot you need to play if you want to attack.

Dr Neubauer Gangster and Desperado 2 (testing both) OX

Butterfly Amicus Professional robot
-----
Ever tried, Ever failed? No Matter.
Try again, Fail Again, Fail Better!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2012, 06:20 

Looking at this forum I just noticed this thread and would like to contribute, as I play with GD612 for the last 6 months. I just copy most of the reflections I published some time ago on TableTennisTalk:
I play both sides attack, mixed with blocking and from time to time with defense, inverttedf on FH and LPs on BH. I've been looking for some 2 years for a a good LP suitable for attacking, I finally ended up with a Guillotine S (excellent rubber, by the way). I bought the GD 612 in December 2011 but it took me more than a month to put the rubber on, as I didn't want to spoil my game during the league matches. But when I finally decided, I'm really happy with it. I can play rallies almost like with the inverted. The block is much more sure than with LPs - and it can be any type of block, though I usually use a flat or punch block, all of them are dead or have some backspin. Banana flip is excellent - if flat it comes like it had some backspin, if looped, it has also a side kick, and as it's slower than after being hit by an inverted, it abruptly changes pace and as a result the opponent often misses the ball at all ! What is astonishing with this rubber, I can chop away from the table with more control than with the LPs (I've been recently watching and imitating Hou Yingchao and trying to develop a similar control of the ball with BH, he uses Spectol for chopping). I'm not relying on deception, but it's a nice bonus, and players who are accustomed to LPs are usually surprised by the aggressive style allowed by this rubber.
A difference from LPs, after all 612 is an SP, or more probably a MP - chopping against a loop doesn't give a high amount of backspin, but control well compensates this, and as I said - for me this type of defense is ususally the last resort. Of course I'm talking about a rubber with 1.5mm sponge, probably it will be better for choppers with an OX, but with my style I would be unable to use it.
To finalise - if you look for a more aggressive rubber allowing you not only to block but also to flip and punch - it's the one. If you play more defense, heavilly chopping, better choose some LP.
Next week I will finally get hold of the turbo version and be able to see whether it's as promising as the regular version.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 02:34 

How's the pimple shape? Is it cylinder, trapezoid or combination of both?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 04:56 

cylinder only

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!