OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Medium Pips > SP/LP?
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 16:13 
Super User

What advantages has medium pips got over long pips and short pips? Is it said to be the best of both worlds? Personally I do not see the advantages of it, it takes two things and melds them into one thing that doesn't work too well together. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thank you, Velonstrials.

S#1: Joola Wing Passion Fast, FH: 729 Cream 2.2, BH: 802-40 2.
S#2: Joola Trix Medium, FH: Hurricane 3 Neo 2, BH: 279 FX Lightning 2.2.
S#3: Galaxy 896, , BH: Pro XP 2.FH: Pro XP 2.2
S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

Post subject: Re: Medium Pips > SP/LP?
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 16:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Velonstrials wrote:
What advantages has medium pips got over long pips and short pips? Is it said to be the best of both worlds? Personally I do not see the advantages of it, it takes two things and melds them into one thing that doesn't work too well together. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

Thank you, Velonstrials.

Medium pips are excellent for attacking short serves to setup your forehand attack... Better than any short pips or long pips. Our club coach Tawny Banh is an Olympian and 13-time U.S. National Team member, who uses medium pips on her backhand to good effect. It's very difficult to serve anything to her backhand and not be attacked efficiently by her medium pips.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 17:05 
Super User

roundrobin wrote:
Velonstrials wrote:

Thank you, Velonstrials.

Medium pips are excellent for attacking short serves to setup your forehand attack... Better than any short pips or long pips. Our club coach Tawny Banh is an Olympian and 13-time U.S. National Team member, who uses medium pips on her backhand to good effect. It's very difficult to serve anything to her backhand and not be attacked efficiently by her medium pips.

I thought this was quite possible with LP? easier then inverted with SP, and really easy with anti. Or is that just my dillusion?

S#4: Senso Waldner Carbon, FH: Apollo I 2.2, BH: Blowfish Plush Short Pimple Tensor.

S#4: Giant Dragon Kris Special, FH: Giant Dragon TaiChi Soft, BH: Giant Dragon Meteorite Soft.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 17:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Velonstrials wrote:
roundrobin wrote:
Velonstrials wrote:

Thank you, Velonstrials.

I thought this was quite possible with LP? easier then inverted with SP, and really easy with anti. Or is that just my dillusion?

Not "easier" with LPs and anti if your goal is to hit it hard enough to cause trouble to world-class opponents... Hits with medium pips have more momentum, and superior directional control for its users. Our local player Mas Hashimoto used medium pips on his bh to beat John Onifade during his prime... Onifade was an All-African Men's Champion who had a win against Waldner that very same year.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 17:30 
Super User

Why is it then may I ask that so little people use these? surely there is a disadvantage to this seemingly excellent type of rubber.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 17:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Velonstrials wrote:
Why is it then may I ask that so little people use these? surely there is a disadvantage to this seemingly excellent type of rubber.

It's still used by many Asian women players. For men, however, their 3rd-ball topspin attacks from both wings have become so powerful, their game is now dominated by whoever could execute a powerful topspin loopkill first, from any angle... Therefore, their optimum equipment is to have inverted rubbers on both sides to maximize their chance to execute this shot.
Nothing wrong with medium pips (or any kind of pips or anti, for that matter)... It's just inverted rubbers are the best choice for this kind of game. Thankfully, ITTF still allows many non-inverted rubbers for those of us who are not interested in playing this type of game. :)

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 19:22 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

It could chop like lp.
It could hit like sp.
It also blocks well.

It could do what sp and lp do, but not to the extent lp and sp could.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 09:47 
Super User

Firstly, if you have not, read the short treatise of pips out rubber in the equipment section which will help answer some of your questions.

On the world stage, the few pips players are either short pips quick hitters (mostly pen holders) or shake hand players like Johnny Huang, or use pips out on their backhand like Tang Peng or Tan Ruiwu. Short pips gives them what they need- fast with good spin-resistant to your opponents spin so they can hit through heavy topspin. These are almost all at the table attackers with the exception of Hou Yingchao.

The other pips out user on the world stage is the modern defender who uses long pips. The big weapon with long pips on the world stage is spin reversal and manipulation of heavy under spin away from the table.

Medium pips does neither of these as well as either SP or LP-at least on the men's side.

The big question for the male pips out user is as roundrobin said, " what are you going to do with the fast loop?" Stand in and block and hit it, or drop off and chop it. Medium pips can do both, but you pay for that versatility in top end performance-medium pips will never reverse like long pips, and it probably will not be as consistent or fast as short pips, blocking and hitting.

Ian