OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2012, 13:11 

gdogg1 wrote:
I find myself in the process of attempting to go with pips on both sides. I have used Legend 1.7 38degree on a very fast blade(YinHe T-4). Still working to get the control I want. Of note, I have looked at 563-1 to go with my LP's(mostly OX) and liked its ability to make the ball sink after hitting the table. Number one concern is ability to impart spin,especially on serves. The Legend to me betters the 563-1 by far. Actually, I am a little amazed at the amount of spin I get with the Legend. I have ordered a 1.9 with softer sponge to try on the T-4. Can anyone compare the 563-1 to the Legend for me?

hi gdogg1: where were you able to get legend in 1.7?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 01:17 

I got the 1.7 at Eacheng

USATT Rating: 1682

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 07:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
First impressions from a very quick knock with Legend 105 1.9 (red) on Tibhar Defence Plus:

Pips are short rather than medium, and the sponge is fairly soft and bouncy. I was able to impart a reasonable amount of spin on serves - not as much as with my inverted rubbers (729 Super Soft or Skyline 3), but enough to be noticeable.

Chopping on FH was very nice indeed - good feel, plenty of spin, and nice control. An immediate plus.

Spinny loops are possible, but the rubber shines for flat hitting - accuracy was effortless and control good.

Disclosure: this is on the basis of 15-20 mins knocking on a not-real table, against my son. However, he's a useful player, gets the ball back consistently and is able to impart decent topspin and decent underpin, which was enough for me to get a feel for how the rubber/blade feels.

Generally very positive - will play more on Monday and report again.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2013, 08:00 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Again - just completing the circle here. First proper knock this evening at the club. Full details on my 'blog', but for the sake of completeness - this is just a fantastic rubber/blade combo for me. Chops, blocks, serves and flat hits, with great control. Nicest feeling combo I've had yet. Really excellent.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2015, 20:20 
LP Collector
LP Collector

I found my (barely used) sheet of 105 (38 degree 1.9) in my box of rubbers today. It being Christmas, and social practice this afternoon, I think I'll have a go with it on a spare bat, just to see how it feels now I'm a much more experienced player.

I've glued it on one side of a Tibhar Defence Plus (Sanwei Code OX on the other side).

I'll report back later today!

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 05:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I used Legend 105 for a while.. a great SP. But I found TSP Super Spinpips 21 1.9-2.1mm to be even better. But even Super Spinpips is too slow with the new plastic ball..

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 08:24 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Very difficult to learn much in a short time, but a few impressions, after ~2 hrs play. This is in comparison to Dr Evil, which is my usual attacking rubber:

- The addition of soft sponge allowed for much more dwell time, which allowed me to impart more spin on my shots. This meant that my attacking shots had a different trajectory, and the reaction off the table was difficult.
- I didn't find with serving that the 105 offered a very significant amount more spin than Dr Evil - there was more spin, but I didn't feel it made a huge difference to my game
- I didn't find this as nice for blocking as the Dr Evil - less control, and more springy
- On the whole, even though this was on a much slower blade, I found 105 was somewhat faster and livelier than Dr Evil. On one hand that meant I needed to expend less energy in attacking shots, but it also meant I lost some of my deft touches, angles, and drop shots

The purpose of the experiment was to get a sense of what adding sponge to my attacking game would do. I don't think I learned enough today to make a decision. 105 was pleasant to use, and didn't offer any great challenges, but I didn't sense it have me any great advantages over Dr Evil.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2015, 09:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Big difference between OX and 1.9 mm, before you throw out the sponge idea, try some thin sponge .05 or 1.0 as that seemed to make a significant difference with my Armstrong Attack 3 compared to OX.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black