OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 01:46 
Super User

I asked Greg a question about medium pips since he used them to a very high level before going off into Long Pips and smooth Anti Spin:

My Question: "Hi Greg, I love your site, what do you think of medium pips like Friendship 563? Can you generate enough chop to defend, or hit well enough to win?"

Greg's answer:

"In general, most medium pips will chop quite well, although you might lose a little bit of the long .pip effect. On the other hand, your ability to hit will be much better than most long pips, but not as good as a short pip.

I defended quite well with medium pip Curl p-2 with 1.0mm sponge, which chopped just fine (although perhaps not as heavy as a long pip) and allowed a decent hit for variety.

So if you like to mix a lot of chop and hitting, a medium pip can be pretty good."

This is good news for me since my game now days is a mix of chop and hitting (at least on my backhand). :clap:

Ian

Link to Greg's fine youtube site : http://www.youtube.com/user/G309?feature=watch

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2012, 23:24 

I'd be interested to know people's experience with medium pips chopping when looking to mix spins.
Is it possible, for example, to keep the spin off i.e. give a no-spin "float" when chopping with 563 or Palio WP ?
The medium pips route has always seemed to me to be one with some mileage in it.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2012, 22:47 
Super User

For me medium pips chop is about the same every time. In response to this, when I use medium pips I twiddle a great deal, my opponent gets nasty loaded inverted chop when he's expecting a light medium pips chop. If he's good, he see's somethings up and either pushes or slow loops. Usually I have twiddled back to medium pips on my backhand and can kill his push or slow loop. :devil:

For me when I defend with medium pips, I am looking to set up my backhand for a medium pips kill, not to win the point with medium pips defense, but this can be done too with constant twiddling if you can chop with both the inverted and medium pips. You're opponent must guess right or he's off the end or in the net... :party:

This game is easier said then done...at least for me...its great when it works and embarrassing for me when it doesn't.

Ian

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 14:25 

The spin of your opponent carries through more compared to Attack 3, which tends to just scrub off the spin, so more opportunities to continue the spin from your opponent. That also means you need to be more careful about angle against sidespin as the ball may spin off the table.

70-290 http://www.testking.com/70-290.htm
N10-004 http://www.testking.com/N10-004.htm

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2013, 15:37 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I've tried both p2 and 563. 563 is clearly an attacking rubber and p2 is clearly a chopping rubber. Totally different classes of rubber. Both are very good east what's they do, p2 is a much better long pip than most long pips... And its not really a long pip Lol,