OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nittaku Pimplemini
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 23:33 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Ordered :(

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 23:54 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
dunc wrote:
Ordered :(

So you can't afford to replace your Tenergy, but you can buy other random rubbers for secondary and tertiary blades. How does that work?

Just kidding... I hope it's as awesome as it sounds.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 00:24 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

You raise a valid point :D That rubber cost me £21 including postage, and once I've got it, it's mine permanently (and I haven't broken a pimple on any of my rubbers after 14 months!). Tenergy on the other hand lasts me around 20 play days at 3 hours/evening and I play like 6 times a week. Can't afford £50 every three weeks, that adds up to nearly £900 per year!!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 00:27 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
The TT gods are telling you to play SP on your FH and LP on your BH.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 00:31 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

No thanks :D

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 01:29 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
dunc wrote:
And is it worth trying a thicker sponge too do you think?

That would depend on if you like soft sponges. I definetely would not use a thicker sponge on a soft blade as it will get too mushy. I really liked it in 1.0mm on a fast blade with harder touch (Stiga Intensity Carbon NCT); I personally did not like it too much on a softer blade (Stiga ALL Classic, TSP Black Blizzard).

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 01:33 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

I only really enjoy inflexible blades like the JSH. I've ordered 1.5mm, should arrive by the end of the week if I'm lucky.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 18:07 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

I have it in both 1.0 and OX. For me it was terribly slow as an attacking pip, and super grippy as a chopping pip. Compared to the frictionless OX pips I was using at the time, the 1.0 version seemed approx 70% like chopping with inverted. Sort of like chopping with a slow, grippy, soft sponged, short pip.

On the other hand, back when I tried it, these things were an issue. Now I use faster blades, and want to attack more with pips, rather than attempting to offer a modern or classic style defense.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 18:37 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

PS Pimplemini is very similar in design to TSP MILLITALL II. Both are like long pips someone shrunk in the oven.

I remember reading a review (years ago) from someone who had tried both, and said the Millitall was better to hit with. (Unfortunately I can't remember why he thought it was better to hit with.)

Edited to add: here is an old thread discussing both rubbers (mostly Milltall II).

In Summary, apparently Pimplemini has softer and more widely spaced pips than Milltall, and the pips are also a little more grippy. Wider spacing, but also more grippy :^). I don't think I can really guess which strokes each would be better at, without trying them side by side.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 22:09 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

If Millitall 2 looks like pimplemini then why did they make p3 alpha r?. Which also seems to be this type of rubber but also oddly not often used.

To me going back and reading these reviews where everyone that tried these rubbers and universally loved them. Well it doesn't make much sense why everyone isn't playing with them :)?. I can't for the life of me see why not, great do everything rubber for club players that don't need world level backspin.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2013, 05:12 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I tried militall 2. It was as you said pretty fair at everything like how you describe pimplemini. I found against 2100+ players it wasn't as safe as most long pips for me which was a shock cause I was a two winged looper. I'm currently using the defplay senso as well against the players 1900+. With 388d-1 ox it can do pretty much whatever I want. Chopping is more difficult but it loads spin like a monster.

Hope the pimplemini works out. I would try it cause I like 802 and dr evil but the spin I get with those rubbers vs loop doesn't compare and the point of the long pips is to get to my more dominant forehand. When I get time and money though I will try pimplemini. Put a video up foam. I'd like to see the potential in a visual form.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 21:16 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had another three hour hit with pimplemini yesterday. This time on the defplay, still worked well. I found an interesting thing, I thought it was a little difficult in pushing rallies against my friends inverted, well because the control I had wasnt as sharp as with inverted or a short pip but then I noticed my friend making all kinds of errors. Then I realised the spin in pushing rallies was making quite nasty variations on its own which was giving the weird feelings I was feeling on my rubber too. The thing is pinplemini is 80% unaffected by spin so I was still in somewhat control, eventually though my mate would fail. I also was using a long range chop until he would push and then you can rip his push for a topspin off the pinplemini, sometimes adds quite a bit of spin into your topspin and its much heavier than if you would have hit the topspin against another topspin.

Few things like this Ive started to see and find ways to work with it. Most of my points however still come from him netting the flat ball after topspins.

I'm slowly getting better technique and able to get heavier spin on long range chops, still can't get enough that he can't loop almost all of them back but I'm fairly sure its more about his loop having little spin in the first place. He's just one of those players that dont generate much spin. I think once I can play some one who makes a reasnoble amount I'll have heavier chops.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 21:21 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

If it's a SP though (albeit a "long" SP), shouldn't you be able to generate a reasonable amount of your own spin? Isn't that the major point of SP chopping?

I was hoping my rubber would turn up yesterday so I could have a knock last night but it didn't. Fingers crossed it arrives on Monday.

[Other gear I've used]

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2013, 21:49 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You see the thing is, it doesn't play anything like a short pip. Its pretty much a very very grippy long pip, without the length you need for reversal with a long grippy pip. You can make spin on your own and quite a lot of it, but not enough to make the ball almost unreturnable after x amount of loops like you can with a long pip. Well maybe you can with a stronger looper and I think you might. Right now with my current hitting partner I'm only getting maybe one in five to skid through, the other four are grabbing on the table. But the guy probably only generates less than one fifth of the revs on a loop that I do so its hard to tell how it'll be against a properly strong loop, I may not get to play anyone with strong spin for six months though, so I'll have to make do with self spin generation for a while yet. He keeps telling me they are very heavy but I can see that they aren't, when he can't make it to the net, then I'll be happy.

The good thing is I don't need to rely on the backspin to win because I can just play a slow topspin counter with it anyway and walk back into the table.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2013, 17:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I played pimplemini again today. I reckon I can officially say that I can chop pretty good now, took me a good 12 months to be able to chop to a point where I'm good enough at it to use as a competitive style. It's only the last two sessions I've finally been able to string together lots of long range chops together to the area of the table want them to go without missing. Pretty surprising how long it takes to learn.

I've been practising the inverted twiddle and bh counter loop in between chops, works good but because of the spin and speed difference between rubbers I'm having trouble with that really close to the table. My pimplemini wasn't as grippy as it got warmer today, it seems that humidity doesn't make friends with pips.

Played a few matches and again found myself not chopping at all in matches because the slow pips allow me to stay right at the table and loop, it's nice to know its there and I can use it if I have to I guess but a little strange that it makes me play much more aggressively. I did have one match with an inverted blade and instantly felt under pressure and having to move a couple of steps away from the table and also really struggled to find time to loop. That was interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!