OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:05

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 09:17 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
What type of blade would be appropriate for a SP/MP beginner who wants to play Miao Miao style?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 11:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Any allround blade that's a little stiff should work very well. Something like Donic Persson Allplay.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 12:18 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Sounds good to me, 802 and 563 are very miss behaved on my very flexible blades. Those blades have far too much bite for pips. Miao Miao last time I saw her play used one of TSPs pretty normal wood blades, nothing too fast but not a flexible blade. The allplay would work well, I think the yasaka extra would behave with pips too but its reasnobly fast.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 14:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
CW Smith, BladesByCharlie.com's owner/operator, has been using 563 1.5mm for decades, and always on his own blades. If he can't hook you up with a proper SP/MP blade then nobody can. He used a BBC 9-10-9 for most of 2010-2013 but has recently changed to a CarboFlex DURO in 6.7mm core thickness if memory serves.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2014, 05:42 
Super User

It plays super on my Juic Yi Yong Fan extra for backhand good control of chop when needed deadly sink effect when hitting. I usually use 802-40 though on my backhand because I need the top spin drive shot off my backhand wing-with medium pips-this shot just sits there waiting to be crunched. With the short pips 802-40 there is enough spin and dig to make this shot effective, Ian.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 19:56 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Victas VS401
BH: Victas Triple Regular
haggisv wrote:
Any allround blade that's a little stiff should work very well. Something like Donic Persson Allplay.

Is that the PowerAllround or the Exclusive OFF ?

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 20:43 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Cobalt wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Is that the PowerAllround or the Exclusive OFF ?

I was thinking of the Power AR. The Exclusive OFF would be a little fast for a beginner. Really any allround blade that's a little stiffer would work very.

I'm quite sure Miao Miao actually uses a TSP Reflex 50, which is actually quite a flexy blade, and she can obviously make this work.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 23:06 
Super User

I think you could only go wrong with a too soft blade, like an Innerforce AL. I tried this with short and medium pips, and it's just awful. The only other blade I might stay away from would be something *really* hard and stiff, like a Schlager carbon. Otherwise, most blades will be fine. People seem to prefer a little more stiff and 7-plies, but I don't think that's gospel, just preference. Fukahara, the undisputed queen of medium pips, plays with five plies.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2014, 23:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
foam wrote:
Sounds good to me, 802 and 563 are very miss behaved on my very flexible blades. Those blades have far too much bite for pips. Miao Miao last time I saw her play used one of TSPs pretty normal wood blades, nothing too fast but not a flexible blade. The allplay would work well, I think the yasaka extra would behave with pips too but its reasnobly fast.

Can you expound on the "not on flexible blade" information? I am particularly interesting in chopping, blocking and occasional hitting, but I like some flexible defensive blades for the FH inverted.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2015, 06:15 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
My 563 Mystery 3 1.8mm rubber has arrived. Upon which blade should I mount it?

Dr N Gladiator
Dr N Hercules
Joola Wing Medium
Butterfly Grubba All Round

Bulldog

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 01:48 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Just got a sheet, too (and discovered ANOTHER Eacheng in the process). I'm stripping one of my N11s and putting it on the backhand. Just to see what it's like. Probably get to try it this weekend. Wonder what my doubles partner will say when I inform him we'll likely be losing lots of games this weekend since I'm trying something new...

(Imagining returning balls at the top of the bounce on the backhand, just like Ai-chan does... Wonder what it'll work like in practice given my poor reflexes and bad footwork! :lol: )

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 02:37 
Super User

My sheet is going on the Joola Wing medium blade with I hope a slightly used sheet of Tenergy 05 on the forehand!

I am playing a relatively easy league match on Friday and a district representative match on Sunday. I am tempted to use it and take the consequences!

At 56 I am old enough to know better but I am willing to back my reflexes and block and punch and drive at the top of the bounce! Happy hunting!!

Bulldog.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 19:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

*whew*

Just played an hour with it. If I decide to go with this full time I'll have to re-learn a lot of things. Muscle memory is strong, and right now my backhand muscle memory is programmed for inverted, so I was dumping a lot of balls in the net. But I was still hitting a lot of shots in, I was conciously trying to take all shots at the top of the bounce and opening up the racket. Blocks to the corners were especially sweet. Pushes, though.. most ended up sailing off the end of the table until I adjusted, but concious adjustment works only when you have time. Dealing with a fast ball and all the old, ingrained habits come back and the push sails off into the.. whatever. I gave up on backhand pushes, and tried to attack everything instead. The rubber didn't seem to be causing my opponent much difficulty in terms of reading spin, but then again, at my level we tend to miss a lot of shots anyway and it's hard to tell.

The unpleasant part, though, was that suddenly my strongly forehand-oriented game became pretty backhand-oriented, and it was forcing me to play my forehand shots short as well, since I had to get closer to the table. Most shots became forehand + wrist, especially when a block came back fast - no more full strokes.

There's no way I'd be able to switch between this and inverted - I'd have to choose one of the other long term, and I think I'll put this aside after a couple weeks trying it out. Don't really see the benefits. Yet. Hopefully it won't spoil my regular inverted backhand too much.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 06:28 
Super User

Switching from long pips I hope to be able to adjust more easily but only time will tell!

Bulldog.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2015, 20:03 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Man, I give up. I can't play with this stuff.. :lol: It's like walking on ice.. if I decided to pursue this, I'd have to unlearn a lot of stuff, and then if I decided to give it up I'd have to unlearn what I've learned again. And it hurts my forehand, too - makes me stay too close to the table. If there were some tangible benefit I'd continue. I suppose my curiosity's satsified and I can move on... :lol:

Iskandar