OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2015, 13:21 

Hi Guys

recently i went into the dark side of pips.

Currently using 563 with a relatively soft 1.0mm sponge.

I am wonder what is the difference between 563 and Armstrong attack 8.

Does it reduce spin or no spin at all when i push underspin?

When i attack/block does it have a similar sinking effect that create underspin?

thanks in advance!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2015, 11:25 
Super User

okiduki wrote:
Hi Guys

recently i went into the dark side of pips.

Currently using 563 with a relatively soft 1.0mm sponge.

I am wonder what is the difference between 563 and Armstrong attack 8.

Does it reduce spin or no spin at all when i push underspin?

When i attack/block does it have a similar sinking effect that create underspin?

thanks in advance!

AA8 has wider and softer pips. With a 1mm sponge, however, I doubt there is much of a significant difference. AA8 will produce slightly more spin. Thus pushes CAN be more spinny. Blocks are nasty like 563. All in all, it's a superior rubber, based on sponge and topsheet quality. Will it make you a better player? Doubtful. If you're on a budget, 563 with a custom sponge from somewhere like colestt will be just fine. I've used both rubbers extensively. I prefer AA8, but in reality it makes little difference. Now that I'm in the US, I couldn't be bothered trying to get armstrong products and so I'd use 563.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2016, 02:32 
Super User

I'm posting to this thread because there isn't one with a better title.

My two samples are Attack 8L (larger diameter pips), regular version (not Super-I), one with standard red sponge and the other with "53", lavender. Both were sold as "2.0".

The following numbers are from the package, from noppen-test, and from me doing my best with digital calipers and a magnifying glass on the one with red sponge. The pips are 1.2mm high (package, noppen-test, I agree), the basesheet is .5mm thick (noppen-test, I agree). So the total topsheet thickness is 1.7mm. You'd expect then that the one sold as "2.0" would have a .3mm sponge (or some have said .5mm). No, it is certainly almost 1.0 (my measurement). [EDIT: It is not less than 1.0] The total thickness of the one labeled "2.0" is actually closer to 2.7mm. Since the one sold as "4.0" must be <4.0mm these different available thicknesses must be closer together than marked; they can't really be .5mm apart.

The 53d lavender sponge is very slightly thicker than that red one (maybe just production tolerance), yet should be <2g heavier mounted (see below that the sheet is larger). That's nice to know.

Standard red sponge, full sheet: 37.6g, 186x163mm
53d lavender sponge: 40.7g, 184x169mm.

I doubt it will be better or worse than 563, just different, as usual.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 02:36 
Super User

Here's a better thread about Armstrong pips-out:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18862&start=15

This post in that thread confirms what I said above about the sponge thickness and lists the others:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18862#p207332

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 00:09 
Super User

I've played with both Attack 8s and I currently play with 563.

In brief, it seems hard to justify spending so much on AA8. I like it; it's well made, but both rubbers pretty much do the same thing. At colestt.com you customize your sponge with 563. I chose a really soft sponge in 1.3 to chop with 563. It's awesome. Takes practice... but then so does everything. AA8 M-version is more like a long pip rubber.

I also attack a lot with the 563. Rarely comes back.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2016, 11:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

My experience with 563 was.. well, somewhat traumatic. No fault of the rubber, but it truly messed up my game for the few days I tried it. I was thinking of sticking with it for a month but in the end decided I couldn't. I used it on my backhand, it was fine for most things but it forced me to play really close to the table and that totally messed up my forehand strokes. I decided at that point that medium pips wasn't for me.

Iskandar