OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 00:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 04:11 

Hello,
I was a university level player and played with a long pip before i took a break of 8 years. I recently started playing again and i am looking to play a more attacking form of play. One of my friends introduced me to the MP rubber.

The trouble is - he is a chinese pen hold player, and he has a very different strategy of playing with it. the below is what is can do comfortably and which is very difficult to play against

1) If the ball is pushed with light or heavy underspin - He pushes it back but without trying to spin it , he just Jabs the ball and the ball flies away with little or heavy underspin. Very difficult to play against especially when placed right.

2) When there is a side top or side under - he just does the same with a different angle.

3) he said the two rules are - never try to loop the ball and never try to chop the ball, just hit it hard.

I have a shakehand grip and it is very difficult to do the above - can anyone with a shakehand grip elaborate on how to play with a 563 or 563-1 on the backhand?

Currently i am able to open the ball, but its inconsistant.

what do you do when there is a long push ? do you open the ball like a backhand loop action ? or do you just push it back ?
or do you Jab it flat ?

I am having terrible time returning services. PLease help.

My current strategy is - not to attack with backhand - but to use it to create an opening/looseball to finish with forehand.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2013, 07:22 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
doublehappi919 wrote:
Hello,
I was a university level player and played with a long pip before i took a break of 8 years. I recently started playing again and i am looking to play a more attacking form of play. One of my friends introduced me to the MP rubber.

The trouble is - he is a chinese pen hold player, and he has a very different strategy of playing with it. the below is what is can do comfortably and which is very difficult to play against

1) If the ball is pushed with light or heavy underspin - He pushes it back but without trying to spin it , he just Jabs the ball and the ball flies away with little or heavy underspin. Very difficult to play against especially when placed right.

2) When there is a side top or side under - he just does the same with a different angle.

3) he said the two rules are - never try to loop the ball and never try to chop the ball, just hit it hard.

I have a shakehand grip and it is very difficult to do the above - can anyone with a shakehand grip elaborate on how to play with a 563 or 563-1 on the backhand?

what do you do when there is a long push ? do you open the ball like a backhand loop action ? or do you just push it back ?
or do you Jab it flat ?

My current strategy is - not to attack with backhand - but to use it to create an opening/looseball to finish with forehand.

I have friend who uses 553-1 on a soft 1,5 mm sponge and on a Primorac off- or a Timo Boll off- (or all, don't remember). He kind of chop blocks with it, he can chop from distance with it. He hits with it but rarely top spins with it. It is very easy to attack back spin (serves or pushes) with it. Here he is facing me (he is lefty, I am bald).

When he has a good day he blocks my loops and it is difficult to read when spin he returns. And blocks kind of dies, difficult to attack. He also uses his MP to do drop shots on my chops. Very annoying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 01:18 
Super User

Def-attack wrote:

I have friend who uses 553-1 on a soft 1,5 mm sponge and on a Primorac off- or a Timo Boll off- (or all, don't remember). He kind of chop blocks with it, he can chop from distance with it. He hits with it but rarely top spins with it. It is very easy to attack back spin (serves or pushes) with it. Here he is facing me (he is lefty, I am bald).

When he has a good day he blocks my loops and it is difficult to read when spin he returns. And blocks kind of dies, difficult to attack. He also uses his MP to do drop shots on my chops. Very annoying...

One observation. Your friend seems to blatantly serve illegally with no toss.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 02:49 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
fleetwood999 wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

Ever heard that one about learning old dogs to sit :)

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2013, 03:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
doublehappi919 wrote:
Hello,

or do you Jab it flat ?

I do not have an answer for you except to say I have only seen pen holders do what your friend does-either with long pips or medium pips like 563-1. I have seen women players use it with a countering action. I would suggest you tube video links on this site for ideas.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2016, 15:08 

I'm currently using this (1.5mm) for the FH. The angle of attack for smash is the same with SP - open racket (vertical) for hitting backspin. It seems spinny and I can do little flicks quite easily. Very fast when hit. Chopping is very good (as long as you use only the pimples, not the sponge. I read this somewhere in this forum). Fast serve is very easy.
Placement for me depends on where in the blade do I intend to hit the ball - Tip of blade > far right backhand of opponent, Middle of blade > to the center/mid table and lastly, near the handle of blade > goes to the far forehand of opponent. (I don't know why this is the case; must be my stroke). Also good for backhand which makes me wanna try a two sided MP style :lol: Is it even possible?

Nobody plays with MP or SP here and whoever does play with LP just does not know how to use it right (only for service receive). Thanks to this forum, I really like MP now!

DHS 301
Adidas Hypertouch
Reactor CA-1

All decked with DHS H3Neo
and Yinhe Moon! I'm cured from low-level EJ'ying!

On to the next TT journey!

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2016, 16:11 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I'm using MP on my backhand since September. I've used Kokutaku 110 until recently which isn't too different from 563-1.

It's a great tool for straight hits, blocks, stop blocks, pressure push etc. but quite difficult once you need control on longer, almost empty balls etc.
The two 'rules' I try are either to use elbow-only or to use wrist-only on actively played balls. Elbow-only requires to hit the ball at or near the highest point, wrist-only allows to hit the ball later, from about table-height to almost highest point.

Getting those services you described back on the table appropriately has been one of the weakest points so far. Pushing it back only is too often an attacking opportunity for the opponent. Best option I think is to twiddle and to use the backside-rubber to return such balls.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2016, 19:04 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
Quote:
Quote:

Ever heard that one about learning old dogs to sit :)

That dog must be darn old by now because the original toss-rule has been in place at least since 1967.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2016, 00:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The 1967 rule was a lot less stringent than the one currently in use. Serves which were perfectly legal just five years ago aren't any more.

Had a double take - misread "sit". Teach old dogs to WHAT?? :lol:

Iskandar