OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: KTL MAGIC POWER
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 17:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Anyone tried it? According to zeropong.com..

Magic Power is a soft medium pips out. Magic Power creates a fast sinking ball on attack shots, and a wobble effect on blocks. KTL is proud of this new mid pip generation, if you are looking for an attacking mid pip this rubber is worth try. $14.

Speed: 12
Spin: 0
Control: 10
Sponge: 1.8mm Very Soft

(did that really say spin=0?)

While japsko.com says..

Allround shortpimpled rubber with emphasis on block/conter. Unusual good disruptive effect for a shortpimpled rubber. Low arc. Easy to open up the game against backspin. Speed in the medium range. Good dampening effect on incoming speed. Soft (c:a H35) yellow sponge.
Relatively long pimples to be a shortpimpled rubber. Thin rubber base just as a longpimpled rubber.

First new MP I can recall seeing in some time..

Post subject: Re: KTL MAGIC POWER
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2015, 22:28 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
I'm confused...is it a SP or an MP?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 03:52 

Japsican wrote:

Japsko.se classifies it as an SP rubber, but with a rubber composition similar to that of traditional LPs, which gives more disruption.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2015, 05:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Japsican wrote:

I used to "know" a SP from a MP from a LP but I am less sure every day. There is clearly a continuum. I am currently using 799 and I call it a SP but one could argue it is a a MP. The ITTF does not have a MP catagory, just "Long" and "Out" which I assume is SP.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 10:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Zeropong describes this pip as follows:

I didn't think much of the "Spin: 0" and wrote it off as a typo or database glitch. It's neither. This pip has almost no grip despite being soft, pliable, and smelling like a freshly made tire. At first I absolutely hated it and nearly put it away for good after a few horribly missed FH strokes. But then I put it on my BH and was flat-hitting and punch-driving some of the slidiest, ugliest pip blasts I've ever hit. Against an accomplished 1800 player who knows my style and pip drives all too well I was repeatedly lol as he returned ball after ball into the bottom of the net.. or worse, directly into his side of the table! I've never seen a pip do that to an opponent to such a degree.

I'll be taking KTL MAGIC POWER out for another test drive this weekend so more review later.

Attachments:
ktlmagicpower.jpg
ktlmagicpower.jpg [ 161.04 KiB | Viewed 5279 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 14:11 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Now now,

Remember that it never stated whether the spin = 0 is a numeric or an ordinal value.

In layman term,

Is Spin = 0 between
virtually no spin, or
Minimal spin of the bunch
Is never stated. :)

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2015, 21:56 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
nathanso wrote:
Zeropong describes this pip as follows:

I didn't think much of the "Spin: 0" and wrote it off as a typo or database glitch. It's neither. This pip has almost no grip despite being soft, pliable, and smelling like a freshly made tire. At first I absolutely hated it and nearly put it away for good after a few horribly missed FH strokes. But then I put it on my BH and was flat-hitting and punch-driving some of the slidiest, ugliest pip blasts I've ever hit. Against an accomplished 1800 player who knows my style and pip drives all too well I was repeatedly lol as he returned ball after ball into the bottom of the net.. or worse, directly into his side of the table! I've never seen a pip do that to an opponent to such a degree.

I'll be taking KTL MAGIC POWER out for another test drive this weekend so more review later.

How is it for chopping? Can you compare it to any other rubber? Can you generate spin on pushes?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 11:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I am ready for that evaluation follow-up! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 11:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Two more play days on KTL MAGIC POWER and I have to say I'm back to my initial impression. Impossible for me to use on FH due to its near complete lack of grip and teeny tiny window for landing drives on the table. On BH I tried it on a Balsa-carbon blade on Sat and it was way worse than my 7-ply wood blade that I had it on initially. Chopping? Not good. Way too bouncy and too fast. Decent backspin when I did land a chop but those were infrequent (and I can chop pretty well with LP).

My best results with it this weekend were using it to block with on BH. Great sink effect on the other side of the table and very spin inseneitive. For those "brick wall" LP blockers who are looking for something that's a bit more dangerous this might just be it. I'm sticking with my 1.0mm LPs like 755 and Sanwei CODE.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 09:14 

Blade: Versal Penhold
FH: Magic Power 1.8
BH: XT Green Dragon 2.1
Just played my first session with this rubber and the new poly ball after a 10 year break. Not sure whether I hate this rubber or hate the ball (probably the ball). There's just no spin to work with, which makes me question the effectiveness of any medium pip going forward.

The rubber definitely is good at blocking. Blocks were decently fast, but not difficult to return (again because there's just not enough spin reversal). However, consecutive blocks on the same side will definitely wear down the attacker due to speed and low bounce.

Service returns were easy. I found myself using long pip side swipe returns as the best approach.

Attacking was easy when using inverted techniques. When flat hitting, I couldn't get anything on the table (even when backspin came my way). This is NOT what I'm looking for, as I as hoping for something more like a long pip on the old 40mm ball, but maybe those days are gone :(. Not liking the initial feel of this rubber, but I'll keep trying as it may just be the new ball I'm not used to.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 14:32 

Blade: Versal Penhold
FH: Magic Power 1.8
BH: XT Green Dragon 2.1
Update after playing some games with some higher rated players:

If you are short pip player looking for a more defensive rubber, this is a great choice. I changed my form from a long pip block and swipe style to a more short pip oriented flat hitting style, and this rubber is great. You can literally hit back everything so long as you are close to the table. The downside? If a deep shot comes your way and it's low, it will be tough for you to lift it or flat hit it effectively. I recommend this for only those committed to staying close to the table or are willing to fight back once pushed back. Shots should be hit early or at peak height, as you'll need all the spin and energy you can work with.

However, if you were a long pip player looking for something more offensive, this is NOT the pick for you. I'm actually much satisfied with this rubber now and will see how far I can push the short pip strokes and how many long pip strokes I can still use. So far, the spin reversal is extremely low.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!