OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 21:47

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2008, 23:31 
Super User

Has anybody played with these pips? How do they behave, what are the differences?

By the way, what is the best new glue (without VOCs) to stick LPs to the blade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 00:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I use the Dawei. Can't speak to the Neptune.

The Dawei are grippy pips that provide very good spin reversal while also allowing you to impart some spin of your own. With a thicker (1.0) sponge, they're pretty good for hitting as well. In OX or 0.6, it takes some practice to hit with them and it's not as consistent.

I used glue sheets for putting the OX and 0.6 on my blades. For the 1.0, I used the Tibhar Clean Fix water-based glue and it worked just fine, although I did place it under a pile of books for about 10-15 minutes after gluing, just to ensure a solid bond.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 01:44 
Super User

Thanks dwruck.

I played with Dawei 388 D-1 (not the new quattro) for some time, and compared to the Neptune I dare to say that the Dawei's was not so difficult to play with for my opponents than the Neptune. That's why I'm a bit reluctant to try again. Have you played with the old 388 D-1? How it compares to the new one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 02:52 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Honestly, it seems pretty similar to the old 388D-1. Maybe a little faster. The easiest thing to notice was that the sheet was a bit shiny, whereas the regular version was a little more dull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 06:41 
The King

I have played with 388D 0X for many years and a while ago tried quattro allround 0X(although before i was sure quattro allround would make any difference because from what i understand the difference on quattro rubbers is mostly the sponge)

Anyway, it turned out the 388D quattro is very different from regular 388D. I made many errors playing with the QA version. Just to be sure it wasn't the rubber/blade combination i tried it on another blade as well. Same results, i didn't like the 388D QA at all where I love the 388D.

Just last week i got a sheet of neptune in red 0X and i must say i like it a lot. It's a high quality rubber(especially compared to let's say palio CK531A but also better quality compared to the 388D. Spin reversal seems to be better as well and hitting with it is even easier than with 388D. So far i have only tried the Neptune on a toxic 5 blade, tomorrow i'll try it on toxic 3.

I also have some sheets of 388D-1 but i prefer the regular 388D.

Regarding gluesheets, last week i also got some gluesheets from eacheng.net but i can't recommend those to anyone. They are very cheap but also terrible compared to the(i think) Andro sheets from the local shop. Then again, the andro sheets were about 5 times the price of 1 eacheng sheet. The gluesheets are very thin , the surface is not even and stick to the rubber too much. The andro sheets i could easily use several times, the eacheng ones just once.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 10:56 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Elvis, could you elaborate a little on what you found different and what you struggled with? I'm just curious because I switched and found there to be absolutely no adjustment period at all. It's likely the type of game and blade that we play that would cause this, but it's just interesting that we had such different experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 11:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the Quattro is the 388d-1 with thr quattro sponge isn't it? The 388d-1 is certainly different from the 388d.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 16:52 
The King

haggisv wrote:
I think the Quattro is the 388d-1 with thr quattro sponge isn't it? The 388d-1 is certainly different from the 388d.

Yes, i just checked, the quattro allround is the 388d-1. I'll test it again tonight, put 388d-1 regular and 388d-1 QA on 1 blade and see how things go. I seem to remember i also noticed quite a difference between these 2. I think the topheet of the 388d-1 QA isn't meant to be used without the sponge though, that's probably why it plays so weird.

Update on the eacheng gluesheets: Just tried some again as i had the sheets anyway. It seems the 2 sticky sides are not the same. First 3 sheets i used i put the side with the WHITE cover onto the blade and this turned out very bad. I just tried a sheet putting the side with the YELLOW cover to the blade and this turned out much better. Not sure if the sides are actually different or the sheets just stick better when the yellow cover is removed. The yellow cover seems to be thicker than the white one so it would be logical to assume it's more flexible sticking the sheet to the blade once the yellow cover is removed.

Put to rest:
Galaxy T10 Bluefire M2 2.0 Palio Ck531a ox
Victas Koji Matsushita Tibhar Genius+Optimium sound MAX * Spinlord Dornenglanz ox
Donic Defplay Senso Tibhar Aurus Sound Black max * Grass D-tecs ox

Check out my quest for my new blade here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23241
Current standings:
Butterfly Matshushita powerdefence * Joola Chen Weixing * Nittaku KVU * Nittaku Shake defense* Tibhar stratus power defense * Victas Koji Matsushita * Yasaka Sweeper * Win-Tec power defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2008, 23:27 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
That might be th case with the glue sheets.... I know the JUIC glue sheets are different on either side, and they specifically telll you which one ot use on which surface...

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 19:18 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

G'day :)
Any info on the Dawei 388D-1 Quattro Allround?

I want to try it out (1.5mm red version from Eacheng.net) on a LKT Toxic 3 blade.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2011, 13:01 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I tried the Dawei 388-1 Quatro Allround in ox the other day. I tried it right after I tried Gambler Peacekeeper ox.

Quatro Allround is a Long pip and The peacekeeper is a medium pip.

The quatro Allround had some great spin reversal and was excellent for chopping.
I had some trouble adjusting to the short game, but that was probably because that's the weak part of my pips game. In terms of Attacking it was great. It was easy to attack topspin also. I'm very torn right now because
I like the short game and close to the table response of peacekeeper, but the reversal and overall deception of the 388d-1 is very attractive.

Overall the quatro allround is good for basically all pips shots. It excels in chopping and hitting.

I'm pretty sure the 388D-1 would be great on a 1.0 sponge for a chopper/hitter. The sponge could take some reversal out and possibly could make short game easier or more difficult depending on your preferences in long pips.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 05:15 
Super User

Have been using the Milky Way Neptune black 0.7mm for over a year now on a fast LKT 368 blade.

Took me a good few months to figure the correct bat angle,open is better on attacking shots.

The harder you hit with this rubber the more flat and deceptive it is.

Very easy rubber to use compared to most LP+MP rubbers but still produces exceptional deception,much more than 95 percent of MP'S anyway.

Also,if you use a thick smooth rubber on other side the deception is greatly reduced from my experience.

Pimples never break and so cheap.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 08:52 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I had a few hits with Neptune 0,7 (but in reality I measured 1,0mm) on Defplay Senso. I found it terrible for short game and also many chops went long. It felt like all balls were catapulted far over the table. This is probably because I'm used to the OX-game... Will give it another chance later.

It has a soft pink 'moxa' sponge, is this the regular sponge?

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2013, 17:52 
Super User

It has a soft pink 'moxa' sponge, is this the regular sponge?[/quote]

Not sure if it's the regular sponge but my sponge is pink too so likely.

Never tried chopping with it,only hitting flat and flat topspin.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013, 00:27 

I have been using Neptune LP with .7mm and they are great. My coach from China who is the top chopper in the United States right now also likes them. I am able to chop consistently against him even when he is firing away worldclass loop-drives. Close to the table I can return his serves and also push comfortably. Now if I could only get my footwork fixed....

CHEERS!

FH: Valor Premier - Sponge
BH: Globe 979 LP OX
http://www.valortabletennis.com