OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 11:02 

Hello,

Ive used long pips for a couple years and what I like about them is the spin reversal. A club I am playing at now does not have much space to chop, and I am wondering if I can switch to medium pips to make better use of my backhand rubber. I would like a medium pip that can give me a little more offense than a long pip but one that I can still chop with similar feel to a long pip if I need to.
From what I know medium pips are kind of in between a long pip and short pip. I would like something more like longpip than short pip I believe.

Can anyone help with some suggestions of medium pip? Right now I use the palio ck53a1 that has .4-.6 sponge, and have the bty joo se hyuk blade. Maybe I should switch to another long pip? Or a medium pip?

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 12:50 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Doesn't really exist... best bet is something like curl p4, feint long 3, or feint soft. Those are grippy, but essentially zero reversal.

The thing that gives LP that "chopping feel" is exactly what the more grippy MP would remove.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2018, 01:02 
Super User

Blade: dr neubauer firewall +
FH: DHS skyline 3 neo 2.15 mm
BH: Dr. Neubauer Agressor 1.5
agressor has a lot of reversal and can attack.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 01:04 

aggressor is expensive though, is it worth?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 07:56 
Super User

I have played against Pluto, and it blocks and reverses like a LP. Never played with it myself.

I have played with Globe 888 on my FH and liked it. Quite good "effects" for a MP. I will be trying it for BH in the coming weeks.

Both pips are cheap so they won't break your bank if they don't work out. Good luck.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 22:30 
Super User

Considering other sports the price of a rubber is not expensive. If you play 1 or 2 seasons with it. Its not expensive. I played with cheap LP befor and the nubs flys away afetr few hours. So it not better. Agressor is very well made and solid.

plenty of video and forum on that rubber.

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 12:17 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Pluto is easy to use, cheap and last quite a long time...

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 00:07 

Thanks for replies!
Is pluto ITTF legal?

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 00:25 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
benc6190 wrote:
Thanks for replies!
Is pluto ITTF legal?

Yes! I have used it briefly on thick-ish sponge. Weird rubber, not for me. I'd try it on a thinner sponge sub 1mm. I also played against it years ago...also quite weird to receive from...might work for you.

Edit: DHS C7 is a mid-pip that acts a lot like LP and is good for attacking with. This is a pip I used for a year or so and found to be very good with quite some reverse even with 0.5 sponge. I stlll have it on my W6 blade. It doesn't give as much truble to the level of players I play these days, but its not without merit.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 09:06 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I went down that path myself years ago. My favorite of the medium pips I tried was TSP Millitall II.

In the end, I decided it simply wasn't worth the loss in control and spin reversal to stick with the medium pips.

Have you ever tried chopping with OX? It can actually work quite well, especially if you're stuck in that close to mid-range...

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 18:30 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Yes! I have used it briefly on thick-ish sponge. Weird rubber, not for me. I'd try it on a thinner sponge sub 1mm. I also played against it years ago...also quite weird to receive from...might work for you.
I'm currently using it on my FH in 2.0mm. It's very easy to control, but not particularly difficult for my opponents to handle. The ones who have the most trouble are those with pimplephobia - they see it's pimples and immediately panic. :lol:

As Reb comments, I suspect a thinner sponge may be more beneificial - more effective in the chopping department, traded off against loss of ease of use in attack.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2018, 21:49 
Super User

I played also with millital in the past for about 3 months. Easy to control and can play variations very well. So to prepare a good forehand attack it can be a good rubber.placement and speed variation is the bread and butter of this rubber. Don't expect to win with distortion. Can defense pretty good. Chops are effective and can varie from no spin ball to high underspin. You can create your own push underspin. That is very good.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 00:22 

Ive actually never wanted to try OX because it seems like a struggle to put on my blade, but I know I could probably do it... I havent met an ox player to try their paddle though. I got ck53a1 because I saw some Sun Jian Fei topics and I didnt want to get ox so I chose sponge version.

I tried someones paddle with nittaku do knuckle which is a medium pip and I was able to chop and attack easily although I dont think it was getting as much reversal as a long pip. Id have to try it out more against different players to see if the versatility is worth not having as much reversal. I know there are lots of successful short pip choppers and I guess they don't get much reversal either, but they can put spin on the ball themselves.

Would aggressor be much different than the nittaku do knuckle? I know aggressor is newer. I have a paddle palace gift card and so I dont have a lot of brands to chose from, but they do have nittaku and dr.neubauer :p

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2018, 00:43 
Super User

never try do knuckle but you can see tons of videos of agressor on you tube. Defense,attack etc. If you go on different forum that I did myself you can also see the pimples pictures. You can do almost evrything with it. The long and huge pimples let you bent the pips for chop and hit flat ( perpendicular ) for attack. The angle of the blade make the pips o bent or flat hit them. A good amount of reversal or flat is possible. Excellent at blocking short( angle block) or long ( flat block). The ball is very low so it make difficult to just loop for the opponent.

Wait for phenomenon blade to see new options at the table that I can do more compare to FP as I like to play fast near the table and attack with my FH. Apparently the control is way better and very low short block available. Fp is faster but the short shot more difficult to play so often got to go mid distance then I got my FH less agressive.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 12:10 

Even though I could not find any videos about aggressor where it was used to chop, I ended up getting the aggressor rubber in 1.3 hoping I could manage chopping and also get more attacking potential. I intend to chop so I picked the thinnest sponge offered without going to ox. The rubber is quite heavy but maybe that helped my forehand a little bit by giving me some more force. I played with it for one time and can say it is much faster than I am used to and harder to control than my long pips. At the same time, a lot of shots I did not think would go on the table did, and I could also attack the ball very fast by flicking the ball, even when the ball was below the net. Also the pips can get good reversal. So I think it has a good potential once I learn more about this rubber and to control it more I think.